my issues, questions and bug reports :) (woip)

• most likely i miss something but how do i craft blocks when in creative mode? when i hit the F6 button i see on the right 2 options. 1 is vegetation and 2 is blocks. but i can´t select either of them.

or is that not yet implemented and i have to get some stone first and from there craft the material?

• Unfortunately the creative mode place tools (F6) are not available yet, but it's on our to-do list. Right now construction elements can only be crafted at the workbench. Alternatively they are obtainable via command: You could use "item block" or "item cylinder" (optionally you can provide the desired count and texture) etc, or just use the generic "item construction" (or "item pnb") command to bring up a block shape selection menu ;)

• Avanar

Changed the title of the thread from “block selection in creative” to “block issues (woip)”.
  • im not sure how but i chopped some stone with my pickaxe and when i switched to creative mode i had around 1000 simple square stone blocks in my inventory. additionally a few hundred rounded square stone blocks.

1. how do i change the shape of these? at the work bench or is there another way, as you originally intended? since we cant craft a work bench yet its a bit tiresome to fly to the bench and back for shape shifts

2. when i try the modular docking it shows me with the rounded square block that "its not possible for this block shape" - intended or bug? i really like this rounded block shape. its something i was missing very much in the old version :)

Edit 1 - i found out how it works

Edit 2 - same for other shapes, see screenshot below red51

Edited 2 times, last by Avanar: Edit 1.: found out how to change the shape, textures i guess then only at the work bench for now Edit 2.: same for other block shapes ().

• Avanar

Changed the title of the thread from “block issues (woip)” to “my issues, questions and bug reports :) (woip)”.
  • and more... :)

im not yet sure how the modular docking works. but i think the docking points should be more visible. not only the one you are currently docking on to but also the other possible ones.

• im not sure how but i chopped some stone with my pickaxe and when i switched to creative mode i had around 1000 simple square stone blocks in my inventory. additionally a few hundred rounded square stone blocks.

There were already 2 stacks of blocks in the starter inventory ;)

1. how do i change the shape of these? at the work bench or is there another way, as you originally intended? since we cant craft a work bench yet its a bit tiresome to fly to the bench and back for shape shifts

You can change the shape only if a workbench is in proximity (rightclick on the item -> change shape). In creative mode you can always change the shape.

2. when i try the modular docking it shows me with the rounded square block that "its not possible for this block shape" - intended or bug? i really like this rounded block shape. its something i was missing very much in the old version :)

Unfortuantely the modular snapping does not work for some elements (including the rounded block). We're working on a fix for that :) It works however for regular blocks, cylinders, ramps etc.

when im using the console command i cant delete what i wrote. i.e. i misstyped setp 1200 but couldn´t delete the numbers anymore.

This is a bug in Unitys new input system: If you press Alt+Tab to switch to the desktop, the Alt key never receives its "Released" state and blocks certain other input. You can fix this if you press Alt again.

the flickering was supposed to be less? when building with the rounded square blocks i have the feeling its more than before:

Yes, it's definitely a lot less flickering compared to the Java version. It's difficult to compare it with the rounded block though (since there was no such shape in the Java version), however, I get little to no flickering (or z-fighting) on my end if I place several overlapping rounded blocks next to each other :huh:

Could you maybe post a short video of this effect? Since this handling is done in a shader, the final result still depends on the graphics card.

im not yet sure how the modular docking works. but i think the docking points should be more visible. not only the one you are currently docking on to but also the other possible ones.

It's a bit difficult to recognize what's actually going on on that image you've posted ^^ It looks so tiny there?

It's supposed to look like this, does it also look like this on your end? (see attachment)

• so here is the video

and as for the docking points:

i set the blocks to 50 50 50- so quite large. the thin lines of the docking points are barely visible then. but even on regular sized cubes i find it difficult. maybe add some colored frames along the edges of the blocks when in the modular mode? or a possibility to make the docking points visually a bit bigger?

• Lol, thanks a lot for the video, but actually the anti-flickering mechanism we've implemented is not really intended to work with such excessive sizes ^^ It works by slightly offsetting the surface of every element, depending on the element id. This works perfectly fine with regular sized elements and almost eliminates flickering, but with such large elements, precision in the z buffer is already too low, so it would require bigger surface offsets (but having bigger offsets would cause other artifacts, like visible gaps between elements).

However, the situation is still far worse in the Java version - there you get a lot of flickering even with regular sized elements, and it becomes worse the further you move away from the world origin :dizzy:

When it comes to the docking points, I agree that they could be bigger on such massive elements, but I have to admit I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to support such huge sizes to begin with :thinking:

About the docking points on regular sized elements, we don't want to make them too distracting, but maybe we could increase their visibility a bit :monocle:

• ah... i wouldnt call that excessive. didnt you consider those who want to build a mountain? :D ok, ill do some more testing the next 2 weeks. then with smaller elements ;)

i also noticed that i have to get used to the new tool bar. i still look at the upper screen instead of the lower + i have the feeling the change between the slots is not fluent. sometimes i scroll up or down and nothign changes and then suddenly im too far and have to scroll back. im at the moment using more the number keys instead of mouse wheel. could you give us the option to place the tool bar again on the upper screen position? i think i prefer it there. on the bottom doesn´t feel very intutitve for me.

also sometimes the angle gets reset when i try to get it right. but that was an issue already on java

• ah... i wouldnt call that excessive. didnt you consider those who want to build a mountain?

Granted, this is certainly a valid use-case :D

i also noticed that i have to get used to the new tool bar. i still look at the upper screen instead of the lower + i have the feeling the change between the slots is not fluent. sometimes i scroll up or down and nothign changes and then suddenly im too far and have to scroll back. im at the moment using more the number keys instead of mouse wheel. could you give us the option to place the tool bar again on the upper screen position? i think i prefer it there. on the bottom doesn´t feel very intutitve for me.

The change between the slots is indeed too unresponsive, changing this is on our to-do list.

Changing the position of the quickslots is a bit more tricky though. You're actually not the first one asking for such a change :saint: We will take this into consideration.

also sometimes the angle gets reset when i try to get it right. but that was an issue already on java

There is indeed an issue with rotations getting reset if manual placement is active. We're working on a fix for that ;)

• Update red51 : I am building a simple hut. I find the controls very clonky yet. Rotation are resetting out of nowhere (i.e. after placing a construction element the wood beam was reset to standard position or after changing the positioning precision).

Also i dont like that the texture is not automatically adjusting to the direction. when building a house i cant just rotate the beam, i have to readjust the sizing. thats quite uncomfortable as otherwise the texture is from up to down even on a horizontal beam. thats looking plain ugly and just wrong.

The precision isn´t as in the Java version. While setp 0.5 was already very detailed in Java (standard here was setp 15) its now almost moving with standard precision. Thats something to get used to probably but at the moment it feels strange and unused.

• Add: When activating modular docking the right ctrl key is not set to change the rotation but the sizing. only once i hit the right ctrl key a second time it does what it should

also i find the docking yet quite difficult. its not always attaching to the docking points, sometimes its changing the rotation (i.e. a 2x4 part is then rotated to a 4x2 part)

• And some more : when i have a construction element in my hand i can see on the left the size of it, when changing also middle lower screen and the size of the element in looking at on the lower left end of the screen.

But when i lock my current element with right ctrl key i see only the size of the current element. Lower left is not changing anymore when looking at another element

• i truly love the stone with curved edges. its something i wanted in this game for a very long time. its too bad the docking points dont work for it but maybe at some later point?

when using ALT GR i can stretch the surface but it isnt working out well. though it looks quite "spacey". it has something :)

• Shift + Backspace doesnt reset the shape of the rounded edge block. neither right ctrl + backspace

Edit - it works but ALT GR has to be activated or otherwise it doesn´t reset the modification. would be nice though if that wasnt necessary. even changing the shape didn´t help.

• Update red51 : I am building a simple hut. I find the controls very clonky yet. Rotation are resetting out of nowhere (i.e. after placing a construction element the wood beam was reset to standard position or after changing the positioning precision).

There is an issue in the version which resets rotation in certain situations if modular snapping is active. We're working on a fix for that.

Also i dont like that the texture is not automatically adjusting to the direction. when building a house i cant just rotate the beam, i have to readjust the sizing. thats quite uncomfortable as otherwise the texture is from up to down even on a horizontal beam. thats looking plain ugly and just wrong.

This is unfortunately a limitation of the way how uv coordinates are calculated now. This greatly reduces seams between different elements, but as a downside, the texture always has a fixed orientation and no longer adapts to the rotation of the construction element. The pros definitely outweight the cons (if you take a look at the Java version, you will find countless seams between different construction elements, especially if they use different rotations, but now these seams become a lot more obvious due to the much higher texture resolution).

However, we will implement a way to change the texture orientation manually ;)

The precision isn´t as in the Java version. While setp 0.5 was already very detailed in Java (standard here was setp 15) its now almost moving with standard precision. Thats something to get used to probably but at the moment it feels strange and unused.

The new version uses different values than the Java version (actually the values in the Java version made no sense). The new version now uses correct values (i.e. a precision of 0.5 moves or resizes the element in steps of 0.5 blocks).

The lowest supported precision value in the new version is 0.0001, which is a lot more precise than the lowest possible value in the Java version (0.01), so in other words, the new version has a 100 times higher precision.

These lowest settings aren't exposed to the radial menu, I guess it makes sense to add a few more precision values there. However, instead you could use the setp command directly. Alternatively you can open the config.properties file and set "Game_BuildingMenuFixedPrecision" to "False", then the radial menu no longer offers fixed values, instead it gives more control over the current precision value.

Add: When activating modular docking the right ctrl key is not set to change the rotation but the sizing. only once i hit the right ctrl key a second time it does what it should

I'm afraid that is a misunderstanding: If you want to change the rotation during modular snapping, just use the arrow keys directly. Holding CTRL to change the rotation is only necessary if manual positioning is active (press CTRL to enable/disable it). This is exactly like in the Java version (with the only difference that the Java version never allowed you to change the rotation while the element was snapped to another element) ;)

also i find the docking yet quite difficult. its not always attaching to the docking points, sometimes its changing the rotation (i.e. a 2x4 part is then rotated to a 4x2 part)

It may be confusing sometimes, because the element always aligns to the rotation of the world element. We could offer an option to disable this behaviour, so the element always keeps it current rotation.

Alternatively you could also consider using the manual pivot mode: This can be enabled in the radial menu, then the element no longer changes its rotation. It's a bit more tricky to use, but gives more control in return. Use the , and . key to select the previous/next pivot.

its too bad the docking points dont work for it but maybe at some later point?

Yeah we're currently working on that, they will be available with the next hotfix :)

when using ALT GR i can stretch the surface but it isnt working out well. though it looks quite "spacey". it has something :)

Oh, that's not supposed to happen :wat: This seems to be specific to the rounded block... we will check out what's going on there!

Edit - it works but ALT GR has to be activated or otherwise it doesn´t reset the modification. would be nice though if that wasnt necessary. even changing the shape didn´t help.

Yeah I agree this is a bit tricky (although intended). If you think that pressing Shift+Backspace should also reset the surface offset, we could implement that ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!