F1 building help menu suggestion

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.1 (2024-09-02)
  • Just a thought/suggestion: might it be better if the keyboard commands were arranged by function rather than in the slightly random order they are at present? I think new players (who will obviously use this help facility most) will ask themselves 'How do I rotate this block?' or 'How do I make the grid smaller?' etc . So having something like...

Help: Construction Elements

Rotate:

To rotate an element use the direction keys UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/PGUP/PGDN

Resize:

To resize an element hold the [SHIFT[R] ] key and

To move or rotate the upper surface...

Mirror/Flip:

To mirror or flip an element...

Place:

To place a single element..

To place multiple elements...

Misc:

To active grid mode...

To change the grid size...

etc...

It might also help any colorblind players! The icing on the cake would be to have the bound keys displayed instead of just the defaults :D

• Thanks for your suggestion! We have to think about that... I'm just a bit afraid though that this may become a lot of text (we couldn't display buttons properly if they're in the middle of the text), resulting in some players not reading it anyway :thinking:

Maybe it's better if we move these things into the journal (once it's ready). There we could have a "table of contents" where the player could select the information he's looking for (e.g. clicking on "Rotate" would bring up a dedicated page containing a description, the required buttons and maybe also a small image (or even an animated gif).

This would make the current F1 page obsolete of course (as the current key overview could also be moved to the journal). So pressing F1 while building could bring up the journal instead ^^

• Personally I'd much prefer the information in one place as it is now, rather than having to search through a 'book' for each function.

The ideal would be to have the keys displayed on the lower right side of the screen (in the same way that the states/modes are displayed at left) with the display changing depending upon which mode is active, in other words, display context-sensitive help. You could add a UI option: 'Building help on/off'.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!