DLSS and other Performance Improvements (Windy Weather = FPS Drops)

• Hi Red51 and everyone,

I noticed that DLSS is on the Trello Roadmap which I am very excited for. Just wondering if this is still on the cards as a future addition to Rising World (new version).

My performance has actually been very good (in 4k), however when the wind picks up, I get significant frame drops, possibly caused by the grass movement as it blows in the wind? Or maybe something else. But it only really occurs in bad weather anyway. Maybe rain too actually.

I'm assuming DLSS will in general help this by reducing overall demand on the GPU. But would there also be any general optimisation updates coming to help this too?

Many thanks, keep up the good work. Love this game!

• Mr S

Changed the title of the thread from “DLSS and other Performance Improvements (Bad Weather = FPS Drops)” to “DLSS and other Performance Improvements (Windy Weather = FPS Drops)”.
  • Hey, DLSS (on NVIDIA cards) and FSR (mostly for AMD cards) will indeed improve the performance, but only if you're currently gpu-bound (which is likely on 4K). To get a rough idea of the performance improvement by these techniques, you could go to the graphics settings and change the "Resolution scale" slider to a lower value, e.g. 60% (the game will look ugly then, but this is probably roughly the fps gain you could expect from DLSS/FSR) ;)

However, it's weird that the weather causes such an FPS drop in your case :wat: The weather effects (rain and snow) spawn quite a lot of particles, but the particles are calculated and handled on the GPU, which makes them very efficient. The wind, on the other hand, always has a fixed cost, i.e. it doesn't matter if it's good or bad weather, so I don't think that's causing this issue :thinking: Maybe it could be something else (maybe a sound issue, consuming too much CPU power etc)..

Do you also experience the FPS drop if you create a new world, then change the weather by typing weather heavyrain 1 or weather heavysnow 1 or weather storm 1 into console?

Maybe you could send us a report (so we can make sure there isn't something else causing this issue)? To do that, wait until you run into the frame rate issues, then open the console (key ~ or `) and type "report", maybe add some information like "bad weather = fps drop", then send the report :)

• Thanks Red51, just done some testing in regards to what you advised. An old world and a new world. Actually it all seemed ok. So at 4k res my GPU was at 98% load. At 1440p my GPU was at 60% load. So very excited for DLSS! However both resolutions performed very well. I do have my system currently limited to 60fps to keep temps and power draw lower. I tried all 3 weather changes in 4k it stayed in the 50-60 fps range. Dropping slightly compared to clear weather, but not much. It only dropped into the 40's once. Clear weather was 58-60fps. So actually there probably isn't a problem that requires sending a report? I may have had the fps limit set to 120 before though lol. I'm not so good at these things, sorry if I wasted your time. Hopefully this was somewhat useful but many thanks for your help anyway, it was very interesting to test at 1440p! Looking forward to the NPC update and DLSS sometime in the future :)

• This sounds like DLSS will most likely improve the performance in your case :) About the weather issue, hard to tell if there is really an issue... if you run again into a situation where the weather seemingly has a considerable impact on performance, you could press F3 and check out the second to last line: If either the FMOD CPU has a value greater than ~ 30 or if the "Channels" (at the end of that line) are > 60 or the Virtual Channels are > 500, maybe send a report ^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!