DRM / Activation Query

• Hi there, mainly directed at Red to be honest, but while I know this issue will perhaps only affect a minority I was curious as to whether a DRM free version could be an option down the line, I know you can play offline once activated but I have a fully offline gaming PC with no simple way to access the game short of using the old version or bypassing steam, both of which I’d prefer not to do.

I mean I’d be willing to pay MORE for a DRM free version too tbh ;)

While all developers have choices to make about this kind of thing I usually respect the indie community releases as most have no DRM etc, I think Rising World is such a unique project that it’s worth me asking again if this could be an option somehow, and the argument has been made before that if someone plans to pirate a game then they’ll do it anyway so the only people caught out by DRM are the consumers. Also notable is the absence of DRM in the JMonkey version after download.

So my views on the subject in no way detract from the project I’ve played hours of the Java version but would love to be able to access the new version somehow…

Whatever the outcome of my request I appreciate the time and effort that’s gone into the game and wish it best.

Thanks,

Nytician

Edit: If relevant I’m also into coding etc so would likely be interested in modding too given the chance hah, made quite a large mod for The Sims 3 a while back. Anyway that’s all :D

• Thanks mate yeah I own both actually but you have to activate it online first so I can’t get that on my offline one unfortunately. The old one works but not the new one.

Nyt

hm, activate it on one pc and then copy the files to the offline pc?

just out of curiousity - why this offline pc for playing games? i mean confidential data okay but games?

• Yup I don't think it works with the new version as the launcher checks but I may need to try again, I can just use a steam work around to play my steam owned version that should work, just prefer not too. And had a few mental health issues so limit my internet usage and made the choice to disable it entirely on my main gaming laptop. :) That's the 'TLDR' anyway haha.

• A DRM-free GOG version is planned in the long run (once the game leaves early access), but basically the standalone version should also work in offline mode, as mentioned by Avanar ^^ It just needs an online connection to initially download the game files. Make sure to select "Remember serial" when launching the game, so the game also stores the credentials locally (otherwise it won't work in offline mode). Once that's done, you should be able to copy the game files to another computer, for example, and play without an active internet connection (if the launcher can't detect an internet connection, a "Play offline" button should show up) :)

• Yup I don't think it works with the new version as the launcher checks but I may need to try again, I can just use a steam work around to play my steam owned version that should work, just prefer not too. And had a few mental health issues so limit my internet usage and made the choice to disable it entirely on my main gaming laptop. :) That's the 'TLDR' anyway haha.

oh well, the internet is really not a place to stimulate "mental sanity". more the opposite. good luck and enjoy playing :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!