crash and recover

• Very very often when I launch the game, it crashes before the splash screen on first attempt, but if I relaunch it does fine. I have not mentioned it since it usually works on a relaunch but figured I should submit error reports.

This part sounds like a driver issue:

Failed to create display
    com.jme3.renderer.RendererException: OpenGL 2.0 or higher is required for jMonkeyEngine

However I run this NVidia driver with other OpenGL/Java games without issue (Wurm Online) and as I said, it always works if I just launch a second time. It never crashes inside the game itself.

• Hmm well it is a Geforce GTX650 and drivers less than a year old so it should be more than high enough OpenGL version, and as I said it always works "the second time" I hit play.

edit: from my Wurm logs:

=== OpenGL information ===
    LWJGL version: 2.9.1
    Adapter info: nvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx (9.18.13.4709)
    OpenGL vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2
    OpenGL version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.09

• I'd recommend to install the latest version of the Nvidia driver. Sounds like some driver information somehow got messed up 8| Your graphics card definitely supports a much higher OpenGL version.
    As far as I can see, Wurm Online only requires OpenGL 1.3 (introduced in 2001), so if there is the same issue, you won't notice at all ;)

• Yeah they have updated Wurm OpenGL since then but I think it is still lower than 2.0, might be 1.5 or so (they still have people running it on older computers than mine heh). Still, it says "OpenGL version: 4.5"

What is strange is it is almost predictable -- crash the first time I launch, everything is fine the second time. It did not used to do that with Rising World. I am thinking it is related to resolution. My desktop / monitor native resolution is 2560x1600 but because it is getting older now I tend to run demanding games at 50% of that. I was having some issues after the update with fullscreen 1280x800 so I figured I would try windowed mode 1920x1200 (still in the same ratio as desktop, just 75% instead of 50% or 100%). It does not bother me too much since it always works second time, never crashes ingame, I just figured there might be something in crash report that looked odd.

edit: I have an older version of "OpenGL Extension Viewer" and when I run that I get the following:

*** I will update the driver if it starts to drive me nuts ^_^

*** PS: I switched back to fullscreen 1280x800 and it seems fine again now. My normal "native desktop resolution" is 2560x1600 but because my computer is old, I often run at 50% of that in games. After the initial update though I had some startup crashes so disabled fullscreen, 1280 windowed was too small so I byumped up to 1920x1600 windowed. It looks like fullscreen 1280x800 is back to acting stable again for me, after the updated update.

• Yeah the right OpenGL version is definitely there, otherwise you won't be able to run the game at all. But it seems like the System somehow returns false information when the context is created the first time. I have really no clue about that ?(
    Someone in the Steam forums had the same issue, but updating the driver seems to have fixed the problem for him.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!