New Guy's Recommendations

• First off, I'd like to say thank you for making this game. I cannot express in words how mindblowingly relaxing it is - so I'll move on to the actual point of this thread. My credentials are minimal; I've only build a cozy little house with a little garden a workshop, and a watchtower in a classic medieval style, in Creative Mode.

• Stairs - Even from early on I noticed the lack of solutions for stairs besides a wooden ramp but that's out of place most of the time. My recommendation would be to create a smaller version (1/4th probably) of the existing cubes, so if we want to build stairs we need only fill in the gaps between the big ones with the smaller ones. Allowing the cubes to be resized wouldn't be a good way to go I think, because a cube is the one, solid measurement we have to rely on (at least for me).
    • Terraforming - The tools we have are overkill, though the Terrain tool (F5) fixes that issue somewhat but it's certainly not the same. It'd be nice if the rake wouldn't remove a hill with a few swings but created a small, even top on said hill. Same goes for the sledgehammer. The pickaxe could also remove a bit less terrain and perhaps in a slightly less random way. I'd rather spend an extra minute with that tool than having to spend 5 minutes on cleaning up after a few pickaxe swings.
    • Buckets - To be frank, I need one in the latrine, because a toilet looks rather weird in a castle :D (my next project).
    • Roofs - Any help would be appriciated; thatched comes to mind as the easiest one. I'm probably missing some techniques as well though. :D
    • Underground map type - For glorious dwarven holds and Vaults. :D
    • Ability to plant in Creative mode - I need them for the Hanging Gardens (when it becomes possible to build).

These would be a lot of help at the moment. I can't wait for the water patch! :D

Just because we might not live to see it doesn't mean it's impossible.

• 1.) I've also proposed making the grid smaller and being able adjust the scale of the block you place. Some have wanted to do things such as build stairs with different colors per step. Adding some more block shapes would be good too, I'm thinking a quarter cylinder and a sphere would be nice too.
    2.) There definitely needs to be more tools to do map editing on a grand scale. I remember watching a video of someone building a scale replica of pyramids in Egypt and that really would have helped in that case because he hit the ceiling limit in the game and had no way to easily lower the terrain. What a bummer! Anyways, creative mode is far from complete. It was only really introduced in its current form back in November I think.
    3.) Following the water update, I'd hope to see buckets come and the ability to collect water. I think you can craft an empty plant potter for your medieval wash chamber :)
    4.) Thatch roofs might be something to add to the advanced building system. I like this idea. Or maybe part of a more primitive crafting system. We have the block system and the advanced system for making complex structures. A system for making primitive structures might tie in with the survival/stranded mode whenever that is implemented
    5.) I'm thinking something like Journeymap would work. I'm not sure if a mapping system is planned but surely once the game is more developed and more moddable, someone will be written. We are supposed to be getting dungeons sometime after the water update so I'd imagine that would be an appropriate time to have such a feature
    6.) Planting is already possible in creative mode. Press F6 for placement mode and vegetation is the only option currently (as I said, creative mode is far from complete)
    7.) Welcome to the forums :-)

• I haven't seen this mentioned before but it is an excellent idea. I'm not sure if Red would consider that now or if there is something to be worked into the electrical system. A timer or pulse generator would be a basic component to have in the game. You could adjust duration, intensity, and interval. That way any light (or large scale CPU) could be hooked up to it.

Personally I love the looks of tall radio towers at night with their soft glowing pulsating red lights. I'd love to be able to reproduce that.

• Thanks for the warm welcome, it's much appriciated. :)

I can't believe I saw the F6 icon and that you could plant trees but still not managed to make the connection of planting plants. :D

From what I understand a lot of problems could be solved by simply allowing players to decide the size of the map and whether they need a surface level or not. Think about it, from a map generating perspective, the former is about making a bigger box, while the latter is about filling said box completely (and maybe adding indestructible rocks so you can hit the box and not fall out of it).

Just because we might not live to see it doesn't mean it's impossible.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!