Wildlife behaviors

• Hello :) not sure if this topic is in good place. I searcherd around and found some threads about the IA of mobs, which seems to be a future rework.

Rising World seems to go to realistic. Lot's of survival games have animals. some usefuls (for meat, wool, whatever), some passive-agressive or agressive (wolf, bear are the more common, RW add tigers). I wish one day I can play a game witch show naturals behavior of wildlife. I'm not objective : Since 13 years, I try to live in wildlife and learn about wolves, bears, deers, squirrels and caribous.

What I have seen in Rising World is very cool yet for some behaviors : the fox is great (you can see him walking and if you want to encounter, he take distance), moose is right (perharps too passive). for me, bear is not realistic. bear don't attack humans like that. But they can be interested by your strawberries plant and try to get them all days ! (like fox). If you stay at same camp all the time, bears, foxes, squirrel and wolves will learn of your behavior and they can go closer (predators are curious about anything in their territory). I suppose this behavior is not impossible to code ? and for fun playing, it's a very smart way to build a safe farm, try to be smarter than these « pirates ».

In fact, I hope Rising World can learn a little about the real wildlife. In real world, we have so many to do for educate about wildlife. no, wolves don't kill humans and yes, wildlife will interact with you if you live near, but it is just so good if you forget your cultural fears…

why not physically show the taming evolution if one day it is possible : sheeps can't live in a fresh new rising world, they need humans. Mouflons are wild. So only mouflon can spawn right at spawn. when you tame a couple of mouflon, child is a sheep and hourra. we can say same with chicken and cows too. wolf can be dog (but not on one generation).

You think perhaps it will be boring and players need challenges ? if Rising World want to be realistic, so watch after NPC hostiles. (clans perhaps, bandits). I will never be boring to « talk » to a fox or a bear or sitting in the grass for watching a deer.

Just my 2 cents.

• Loving this idea. I heard mention that Red51 wanted to change the AI to the animals, and I would strongly nudge Red51 to do so, when appropriately able to. Bears need to be tweaked to attack when you have food, or when you're in their territory for a set time. The chance for attacks would rise, unless you had something like a noise maker to scare them off. Similar with the moose that the longer you'd stay in their territory the more hostile & territorial they'd become.

There has been mention of animals moving in packs'/herds that you would be able to see them moving about as such.

It would also be neat if they would indeed learn your habits, as well as be curious about the food you grow. Maybe even protecting your farm at the cost of gaining a share, if possible.

I would love to see domesticated animals be in their wild form 100% that you would have to gradually breed them into their domestic form. I'd love to have a wolf as a pet, & a fox. That, and the ability for them to scout things for you, warn you of threats, as well as even pointing out food sources & such for you. Maybe even bringing you various items of interest. Random stuff.

Yeah, I'm loving where you're going with this and sure to see some of this in Red51's updates. Not sure how, or how much, just that some of this is to be expected :)

• Thank's :) you can go far : you tame sheep and you don't want wolves try to eat them : so you can tame guard dogs and build electrical borders ;) I can imagine squirrel come in your food chests, except if you upgrade them with iron. I would love to be able to protect my items without killing. it is possible in real life.

just for the fun fact : you can try to be smarter, but you never know if you are. putting food up on a tree ? well it works, some days. after that :

And you can be sometimes wake up by a bear who want to negociate the territory. a smart morning-talking withe your neighbour :

• @botchikii: I am not at all a "wild life person" (I fled from busy and noisy cities, but I am content of a very domesticated country side!), but I really appreciate your perspective and the points you raise.

AI of NPC is surely going to be reworked; the current focus seems to be on dungeon mobs, as dungeons are going to be released soon, which would be a rather peculiar kind of AI. But, one can expect this rework to gradually be extended to other NPC types, like wild animals.

AI is actually a misnomer: there is no intelligence involved (except for the intelligence of the developers, of course!); so, we cannot expect in the game the variety of reactions we (well, you!) can observe in reality. Some improvements toward reality would be great, though.

Suggestions for taming and husbandry have been raised several times; I have no idea what the position of the dev team is about them.

In the real world, a distinction has to be made between taming and domestication. You can tame a wild animal (of appropriate species) as an individual and you can 'use' it for some tasks with reduced inconveniences with respect to the original wild behaviour. Its children will be as wild as their parent originally was, though and would require to be tamed again (no real idea, but perhaps sheep may belong to this case and, to some extent, horses?).

OTOH, domestication is a process by which a species gradually evolves and develops evolutionary behaviours of familiarity with humans. It does not simply takes "more than one generation": it takes millennia! Dog is the paradigmatic example.

While some time compression would be acceptable in a gaming context, I have the feeling that domestic animals would be better added as separate kinds (for instance, wolves on one side and dogs on the other).

In any case, I appreciate your observation that interaction with wild life should not be limited to killing; any moral consideration put aside, it would be a great waste of resources and of opportunities.

• @Miwarre

Quote from Miwarre

OTOH, domestication is a process by which a species gradually evolves and develops evolutionary behaviours of familiarity with humans. It does not simply takes "more than one generation": it takes millennia! Dog is the paradigmatic example.

Yes, totally agree with you. I just assume, for gaming purpose that we can « compress » the time. Personnaly, I never wanted to domesticate like minecraft offer with wolves but it's personal thought and I can understand players who want to do that before 15000 years (the time before humans domesticate some wolves for human purpose).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!