Plank filling tool

• Hi,

One of the most annoying things of the advanced construction with planks is to fill non rectangular areas, such as triangles.

May I propose a mode where, to certain extend, you can "fill" an area with planks, in sort of the same manner as you fit glass on frames, where the plank fills a -say- wood frame made of other planks, wood elements or stone blocks up to a certain area covering limit.

Two images to show what I mean:

Build a frame with for instance wood logs

and then enable the fill tool with a wood plank and it fills it (if the area is not bigger than the biggest allowed plank):

Is this doable? What do you think?

Maybe also possible to 5, 6, ... sides, not just triangles?

Cheers,

Marcos

• Another possibility, perhaps more realistic, is that you can go to the frame and "measure it", then go with the measurements of the shape to the saw bench and build the part. This also would mean that it can calculate how much wood it needs and use all that is required, thous not having the same limits as normal planks.

:)

• Another possibility, perhaps more realistic, is that you can go to the frame and "measure it", then go with the measurements of the shape to the saw bench and build the part. This also would mean that it can calculate how much wood it needs and use all that is required, thous not having the same limits as normal planks.

:)

I like that...and it would give us another tool to add, the tape measure.

• to fill triangular areas at least you can use the woodplanktriangles that exist in the game, unfortunately they are only accessible through the console so in MP only admins can give them to you. They can be spawned in by item woodplanktriangle N T (N is the number you want, T is the texture you want them in).

• to fill triangular areas at least you can use the woodplanktriangles that exist in the game, unfortunately they are only accessible through the console so in MP only admins can give them to you. They can be spawned in by item woodplanktriangle N T (N is the number you want, T is the texture you want them in).

Unfortunately, triangular wood planks are not really supported, they seem to be a quick hack. For instance, they can only be isosceles triangles (they would probably not fit the shape pictured above) and their size range is rather limited.

Such a shape filling tool would be nice but, for anything with more than three sides, there would be at least issues with potentially concave outlines; it also does not fit the current paradigm -- as far as I can tell from 'outside' of the programme -- and then it might be a rather heavy addition.

But we can always ask and hope...

• For instance, they can only be isosceles triangles

That is true and that is why you would need to use more than one of them :P

but yes in general a filling tool would be nice, it would help keep the textures as seamless as possible and not have 50 different grains when filling a weirdly shaped hole :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!