Posts by zfoxfire

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

Yeah.. its getting pretty unbearable at this point. Not his fault but every time I see what amazing things people do in this game I'm reminded how much potential Rising World has and I want to see the game make it to the end.

@ArcticuKitsu
    Aaah, I thought you meant 5 blocks for the track width, ok that makes more sense now.

A standard track width for heavy rail used in USA and Europe is 4' 8.5" (1435mm) wheras the train itself has a max width of 9' (2743mm). I believe that in past conversations we've established that a block in Rising World is 0.5m wide so I guess a heavy rail track in RW would be roughly 3 blocks wide while the train is 5 blocks wide. Then I suppose 3911mm tall which would be 8 blocks tall.

Not sure what (if any) international standard exists for minecarts but someone on a forum mentioned 600mm gauge. So for RW purposes we could reduce that to 1 block with a cart width of 2 blocks.

Any thoughts on this?

Es soll beim nächsten Update Veränderungen im Spiel geben. Muss man befürchten, das die bestehenden Welten (wie beim Biomupdate) unbrauchbar werden könnten? Wird die Performance bleiben? Mein Rechner hat 4GB Arbeitsspeicher.

Wenn Sie 64-Bit-Fenster betreiben, sollte das Spiel funktionsfähig sein, da es auf alle 4 GB Speicher zugreift. Wenn Sie 32-Bit-Fenster betreiben, sind nur 3 von 4 zugänglich

a chainsaw or something that helps you in your quarry...

We have a jackhammer coming, this will be a better mining tool. Chainsaws only cut trees as far as I know.

Oil should never be considered a renewable resource... Well, technically it is renewable but over an extremely long and impractical period of time. ;-p

Ofcourse, the world is infinite so just walk out further and find more oil or ores. So for the scope of this, game everything is already unlimited but I don't like the idea of resources randomly respawning without being seeded by some realistic method.

Like in the real world, oil cannot sustain a modern industrial civilization but since our species existence is but a brief moment in the history of this planet, it makes sense that there is plenty of oil for now. Eventually we need to transition beyond a dirty industrial period to get to a cleaner green period. Like now, hydro, geothermal, solar, wind, and algae are probably the way to go in the long-run. Will nuclear and natural gas be a thing in the interm? Not sure what's planned but it would be interesting if some radioactive ores existed in the game. I wonder if cows and composting might lead to natural gas capture.

Edit: Just noticed your comment on ethanol @ArcticuKitsu.. Yes. that would be cool too. with corn being a thing. that would offer a good alternative to oil and gas, albeit less efficient but more renewable.

Here's the progression i see:

Stone -> bronze -> iron -> steam industrial -> oil industrial -> high tech -> green tech

We have this update and some more player/npc/survival updates, a cooking update, and a construction system overhaul to get through probably before we see trains but I do look forward to seeing any previews of trains that might be availabe. :)

Most gaming servers out there for rent are virtual machines so I don't see what issues you'll have as far as resources go. As long as your virtual network adapter is bridged to the physical adapter, you should be able to run two IP addresses on a single device. Assuming this is your home gaming machine, just open up the necessary ports on your router and you're good to go.

Just keep in mind that depending on how many people you plan to host for, you'll easily eat up 4GB of memory or more.