Posts by zfoxfire

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

Why didn't I think of this sooner?

With new player models and clothes coming, we should be able to craft a mannequin (maybe an NPC that just stands there and does nothing). We can then dress them as we see fit. It would be nice to show off clothing. On an economy-driven server it could be part of a display for an in-game clothing store.

cracked software is modified and re-distributed illegally with the intention of being fully-functional and free. You'll see this done with the most expensive software out there. Programs like autocad can cost thousands of dollars but I can find a cracked copy for free and play with the software. Programmers use a variety of techniques to pick apart and re-engineer parts of the game code that are responsible for validating itself as a legal copy. You'll find this stuff easily on torrent sites. Patch the game and it will launch just just fine. Ofcourse with online games like this you probably wont be able to join a multiplayer server but you can still play by yourself since there's no account linked to it.

I'm glad that multiplayer developed in Rising World so early on because we probably wouldn't have much of a sense of community if not so and I think that alone has saved the game from being trolled to hell with negative reviews. The community had already started to develop before the game even hit Steam when the game was called Concept. So I feel that RW was already a bit more than just another new ea game on Steam that nobody had ever heard of. But I like this game so my opinions are biased! :thumbsup:

I'm glad Red's focusing more on under-the-hood stuff. The content additions aren't too buggy and I'm sure the empahsis on core development over content plays a part.

The limitation has something to do with the way a block is represented in data. Each block shape and its rotation are stored as different blocks instead of separate shape and rotation values. So its not possible to add additional block shapes OR rotations of existing blocks. I'm sure there's a good computer sciency solution to it but in the meantime you can use planks and beams to create vertical slabs and you can also spawn them in with any texture id you want so there are workarounds for now.

There's a technical reason why we can't rotate certain blocks in certain directions. It's probably not a hard fix but I suspect that the possibility of a mistake in the required world conversion ruining existing builds is not something Red51 is willing to risk. We probably just have to wait for the construction overhaul when blocks will be freely rotateable and scalable blocks (basically blocks become construction objects such as beams and planks).

I've come across close to a dozen Rising World cracks on youtube over the past year. If anyone is frequently searching for Rising World on youtube then you're bound to come across one from time to time. I usually flag the video on youtube and send Red51 a message or an email to support@jiw-games.net

Not all those cracked versions are up to date either. Heh.. I think we had someone here a few months back asking for tech support on a 2 year old version of the game. My first reaction was "what's wrong with the grass texture?" ;)

I tried to write a tool but had trouble reading the image data from the individual files. each file represents a part of the map on the grid and contains rgba data. I think the issue I was having is that you have to decompress the files too then pipe that through the converter. It shouldn't be hard for someone whose familiar with the java ibraries to handle this.

Perhaps OP is inquiring about such concerns like whether or not the game's music is audible in the Let's Play video. I remember that was an issue recently on youtube when lots of videos were getting pulled from youtube due to copyright infringement. I'd wait for someone from JIW to comment on this.

Also, at 115K game purchases, i think Rising World is still an underdog but after the next few updates I'm hoping the game will start to seriously grow in popularity. At present we have just enough so that we actually have to deal with occasional trolls on Steam. :)

Its very important to enjoy what you do for a living. I agree with you on the player model announcement. The clothing and the poses reflect a passion. Most of the past screenshots (water update and biomes especially) have an artistic quality to them. I hope Red51 is not stressing too much right now. I hope he takes a moment every now and then to step back and look at what he's done so far and say to himself, "This looks pretty cool" or "I created this. I am an artist". I've always envied creative people. Damn.... Now I wanna get back into 3d modeling again.

JIW-Games office of the future (gotta have fun at your job):

Not sure about space or how that would be implemented. The whole idea of making the world a limited planet that is round is feasible but would be fundamentally different from the current way worlds are generated. This may be (if it ever happens) a new world type. If so, then yes, flying to the moon would be possible.

In the short term, it may be easier just to make the moon another "realm". Support for "realms" has been confirmed. I wish I could find that thread on here for the life of me. I need to keep better track of these threads that have good info from Red. But in it, he did mention at minimum API support to essentially teleport your character to a different world. This could be a second world on your server or hopefully even a different server. Some other server owners and I would like to set up a way to teleport between trusted servers. If Red doesnt add official in-game options for this, he said he would atleast add the functionality to the API so we could write our own plugins.

Just for clarification, realm hopping would be similar to what you could do in Minecraft with the normal nether portal or using some of the plugins available such as Twilight Forest or some of the others... "pocket dimmensions" or doors something. I can't remember the exact mod name. I know its bundled with Tekkit.

2017 is flying by. The player models look great and and with all the content changes bundled with it, it's going to be awesome when its done no doubt. This and dungeons are major content updates. Same with the water and the extra biomes. ahh well.The wait frustrates me as well as anyone but wishes don't change reality. Working with actual Java developers at my job really helps me appreciate the effort and game design goes way beyond anything I've seen those guys develop. Mostly it's web gui's and back-end web APIs to make our systems talk to each other. Some coordination is involved but getting all the various systems in a game to work together and communicate seamlessly in real time is impressive.

Yeah, there have been a few too many kids in the Steam forums. I've seen posts like those in the past where they say "Why don't you add {insanely long list of features}" ... So annoying. Although to be fair, I've made plenty of suggestions in the past but I'd like to think that mine were atleast in scope with the feel of this game. Not... "Well Rust has rocket launchers so we should too" kind of logic. *rolls eyes* Maybe the problem is that Tier 2 workbench with its flashlights and ore detectors. Modern stuff seems out of place for the game right now. Maybe players unfamiliar with the game development see that and are like... "Oh, it's like a fabricator. We should make TEK armor like in ARK."

I am also guilty of excessively checking the forum. I hope the new player models come soon. It's been three months since the last content update. We have to be close by now and Red hasn't been available too often lately. I imagine that like with the dungeon update the change log will be massive