Posts by zfoxfire

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

So I must first say that the new underground dungeons look awesome!!! Very nice for a first release. There are some improvements that I think should be made. Not sure how difficult this is to fix in code but something to consider

Entrances

So I've noticed that with caves turned off, there's no way to really discover dungeons. At present there seems to be no ground access... Trillnar came across something interesting but the more I look at it, this seems to be a bug. It appears to be a staircase room sticking out of the ground:

http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=839635519

I was hoping to see some kind of surface structure in the grassy fields or maybe a standard dungeon entrance on the side of the mountain or perhaps something more decorative on the side of a mountain. A standalone structure in the middle of a field or obvious straircase like below might work:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wik…rley_Dungeon_entrance.png

Something like this but perhaps not as fancy would work for fields, jungles or maybe even a swamp (whenever that biome comes):

http://gerberc.deviantart.com/art/Jungle-Temple-I-172757741

Depth

So I've surprisingly found lots of dungeons spread about and spawning from just below the surface to just above hell. It leads to some interesting effects. I feel that the deeper you go, there should be less individual dungeons and they should all be part of a massive connected structure. Smaller dungeons should be closer to the surface. The massive underground complexes deep in the earth should be like the strongholds and rare (but certainly more than 3 in a world).

http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=839954762

http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=839726463

http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=839701239

Visibility from within Caves

I'm sure his along with anything else I've mentioned can be improved. In the first one, entrances should be closer to the bottom of a cave, not so high up. Or perhaps add a different type of entrance face for this scenario. In the second one ofcourse, the outside of the dungeon should not be visible passing through a natural cave opening. Simply padding the dungeons with stone might help this or add additional structure in this scenario. Perhaps a room type with wooden stilts supporting it as it passes through the cave tunnel. Perhaps windows with iron bars in the room to look out would be appropriate in this scenario.

http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=839664043

http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=839627819

I guess having the various bark textures available at the block bench would be a nice addition :) We will put that on our list.
    Btw. soon any block shape will be available as "construction element", i.e. you will be able to place, rotate and scale it without any restrictions. This allows you to rescale the current cylinder block (in combination with a bark texture, it would be very suitable as a wood log)

Wow! Thanks for the info update :) I guess this might happen before the player models?
    BTW, will it be possible to stretch a block? this will really open the door for custom arches and rooftop angles

It would be nice to add tree textures to the block bench, kind of in the same way the terrain blocks were added.

check the server.properties file. as long as server_list_visible=true then the name of your server as defined a few lines down with server_name should be what is seen in the muliplayer list. this makes it visible to the public. If you are running a non-public server then whoever connects must know the IP address and port number the server is running on. If the server is on Nitrado then most likely it will not be using the default ports used by rising world.

yahgiggle, I've used this new plugin on my server and its great. My only concern is that some of these names are generic such as "fill" or "place" "cancel" "select". These could conflict with some future plugin. I'd suggest making the first word in the command something like "/bp" followed by whatever subcommand you want to use. e.g. "/bp select area"

In the console:

setweather default 1

this sets the weather back to normal clear sky. the 1 means immediate otherwise the weather slowly transitions

The other weather options that I'm aware of are rain, heavyrain, fog, thunder. Snow is only available in cold biomes but cannot be explicitly set. i think setting to rain will enable snow in a cold biome

Some additional info regarding graphical glitches:

Another player on my server is running Windows7 pro with an AMD R9 m290x with drivers up to date. He reported that his screen turned red when it rained but he disabled refractions in the game settings and the problem went away. He also cannot view rain through a glass window. I do not know if this behavior changed from before the 0.8.0.1 patch

Yet another player started a single player game on 0.7.4 and throughout the updates, he can see rain through a window. However, on a new game Oddly enough, for him in single-player mode, the rain is visible through a window on a converted world (created with 0.7.4) but on a new world in single player (created with 0.8.0 (just before the latest patch) ) the rain is not visible through the glass. He is running the latest RW version and has Windows 8.1 with an nvidia 880m. For additional strangeness, he cannot see the rain through a window on my multiplayer server. I dont know when my world was initially created. but its older than 0.7.4

For me, I've noticed the glass texture doesnt affect whether rain is visible. I've also noticed I can see the rain through the glass while I am positioning the pane but once I actually set the glass pain, the rain effect disappears. I am running win10 pro with a nvidia gtx 960

For reference, Harv has a Macintosh but not sure which specific video card. i am running win10 with an nvidia gtx960. for me, no fog or rain, nor change in lighting level occurred while underground with Harv.

Also on a side note, I cannot see the rain effect through a window and I have the graphical settings maxed out.

Even if I have to be chased by them while in awe.

Make sure to run backwards when you do

The beaches need your attention. They are devoid of animals except those who happen to occasionally wander there.

I'm sure birds will one day take flight in Rising World, and when that happens, I don't know how long after that before we get carpet-bombed by them, but even if they can't take flight right away, it would be interesting to see sea gulls or piling plovers on the beach. Or pelicans, terns, crabs, lobster, seals, and sea turtles, for that matter. Maybe even a frog, but it would do better in a bog biome along with crocodiles, which is a topic for a future date.

I definately would love to see bird life come. Lots of new bird sound effects were added but no actual bugs or birds yet. Some aquatic life are definately planned so that's something to look forward to. Gotta use that fishing rod for something I suppose.

On the flora side of things, we already have palm trees, so it would be nice to one day add coconuts to them. The beaches could also have bayhops (railroad vines). There is already tall grass and stony terrain on occasional spots on the beaches, so they're already covered. Plus the rarer red seaweed that sometimes grows outside of the water.

Bayhops would be awesome. I'd also love to see some leaning palm trees and some American Agave ( I grew up on the beach and I always thought these were the strangest of plants especially when they are in bloom. I've seen some grow to almost 40 feet tall ).

That said, an old shipwreck on the beach would make for both an interesting "dungeon" and a way to liven up the beaches. Crates and chests could be found in their hulls with some worthwhile holdings of their own. Maybe it was a slaver ship and some of the dead slaves' skeletal remains come to life to attack us. Or maybe it's the dead crew that attacks us. So many possibilities.

I think this might actually be planned but not 100% sure. It definitely would make an additional dungeon type to be either underwater or beached. Perhaps when the player models come out then this might happen. I think we are supposed to get some boat building options at that time. Since the dungeon lays the groundwork for basically any generated structure, it opens the door to anything. I'd love to see other generated structures like villages with NPC traders and merchants, abandoned villages (something like the abandoned shacks in the dungeon update before the spawning was fixed), an old church, a temple or monastery, a graveyard, maybe a light house too.