Posts by zfoxfire

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

Now that would be fun to try to figure out Flat world weather... No winds to speak of because in the flat world "world" We are all there is nothing else, no moon to pull the tides. No spin of the Earth to make the wind, weather. So there would be nothing...... Just turtles all the way.

Maybe you could ask the experts at reddit.com/r/flatearth
    I'm sure they spent plenty of time to figure it out.

With so much other stuff that needs to be done, I suspect its going to be a year off before that becomes a focus. New player models, primitive crafting, the scalable/stretchable blocks, cooking, and trains are likely going to be the major updates for 2017.

Do you have root access to this server or is it the service provider one of those that specializes in game servers? I think that error you are seeing is from an old version of 7zip. can you update the package on this server and see if that resolves the problem?

If you can't influence the software on the server, perhaps extract then repackage the plugin into zip file then upload it to your server.

I forgot about the jungle . :)

Yeah, there's a big world redesign that I heard Red51 talk about wanting to eventually do. It would change a lot of things like better algorithms to generate more realistic terrain, increased voxel density per chunk (to get rid of the stepped terrain that the grass covers up so well), re-organization of biomes, and biomes act like continents in an ocean. Possibly re-design of the underworld as well. It would look beautiful no doubt and be one of the final touches to the game but no doubt it is going to obliterate our old worlds or look so nice that the converted chunks would look like crap compared to the new style. Whenever that time comes there's going to have to be lots of planning on how to implement and how we are going to convert things.

I knowfor sure that a swamp biome is in the works. A volcanic biome and a mesa desert might come as well but the Swamp I definately have heard Red51 talk about.

placing a beam or plank should be exactly like placing a block. point at the ground and you will see a ghost of that object. right-click to place. no ground prepwork is necessary.

I'm kinda curious what the story line is for Rising World. This is probably something that never really was planned since its kinda like how Minecraft started out. You're dropped in a world for no reason so go punch a tree. The dungeons are a great addition. Although to some it ruins the feel of being in an untouched world which seems unrealistic in the first place. But the fact that ruins are out there now makes me wonder what happened before. Was there a downfall of a modern civilization? With the shacks, why were they abandoned? What caused the ruins underwater to get there? There must have been some sort of cataclysm.

Railroads, minecarts, and normal trains are planned so I imagine that that along with everything else, we will have a ruined variant of it added in eventually.

By ghost town, I meant abandoned but real ghosts could be a possibility. Someone recently made a suggestion of ghosts hanging around underground dungeons to help you find them. I had an idea of the ghost being a tortured dungeon victim approaching you for help collecting his bones to bury them so his soul could find peace. Something like this maybe could be worked into a similar quest item (bury the victim to gain karma/reputation points perhaps). I personally don't want to have to fight spirits, that seems a bit too supenatural for my tastes and for a game that is supposed to be realistic for the most part.

So joni909 came up with the idea of a ghost town and I added some ideas to it. I know Red is looking for ideas on how to add some new places to explore which have high risk but also offer high reward. This is basically the idea behind the dungeons. Anyways, I figured this one could likely be implemented shortly given what's already in the game right now.

A ghost town. This can be a dungeon type or maybe biome type as well. Actually, maybe a new biome is needed for this first. The biome would feature a burnt forest with lots of dead trees and the ground would seem black and covered in ash. The water holes would look mirky and likely not be suitable for drinking (a new water variation needed obviously). I know there's been talk of eventually a volcanic type of biome. Perhaps this could be the start... Maybe this biome is burned as the result of dormant volcanic or earthquake activity and the village in it sadly would have had to evacuated on short notice as they did not know about this. The biome should have a larger spawn rate of abandoned shacks that are burnt in apearance. Lots of charcoal (new item which can be found in burnt forests or collected from fireplaces in the future or the forge after smelting) can be mined from the ground. I know that eventually lava will be a liquid type handled much like water but with different properties. Perhaps an ocasional lava pool can be added. Maybe this was a mining town which hit a lava tube (lava tubes) which spelt doom for this village.

The burnt forest might have an occasional living tree and other vegetation type but overall any life should be rare. Check out images of "controlled burns" to get some ideas of what this looks like. The fire department does controlled burns in forest preservations by me which help add nutrition to the soil and reduce risk of uncontrolled burns. But they basically look dead and alive at the same time. Very bizarre and creepy. There should also be a high spawn rate of small predators (mostly the new ones such as the rat, snake, and spider). Cobwebs might also be seen inside of shacks as well as the spiders. The chests in these shacks should also offer greater reward in their inventories. Perhaps more gold ore if it was a mining town. The miners dug too deep and too greedily! ;-p

Also, some additional objects might be suitable a well. objects for a towncenter should also be generated such as a stone water fountain or perhaps a water well (spawning on top of a mirky watering hole), and... a gallow with possibly a noose still attached. The noose could be collected for rope (something we do need at some point).

Also, entrance to the biome should always trigger heavy fog..

I'm basically inspired by the burnt forest from 7D2D. Ocourse, the RW variant would be devoid of burning zombies ;)
    http://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Burnt_Forest

A few months sounds normal. Seems like we are getting 3 or 4 major feature updates and a bunch of smaller content updates each year. Like I said, when this game kills the charts, as someone else put it, and generates a serious cash flow then Red can have his big dev team. But for now, this is the reality for most startup companies developing a major product. The reviews on Steam are mostly positive, the community is awesome, mods are beginning to develop, and 1.0 is creeping up so I'm not too concerned.

Well, maybe after the next few major updates, the price will be bumped, Rising World will get Rockstar/Minecraft-like popularity and making millions in sales. Then Red51 can have his gigantic development dream team for the next company game project or maybe even rapid DLC content development for Rising World. :)

I know I'm biased in my opinions but I still think Rising World is going to be the Minecraft killer some day

Maybe a more theatric approach would be to have dungeon ghosts who patrol the nearby area.....

I have no idea what it would take to create these wispy npc's, but it's an interesting concept.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure if this would deviate from Red51's desire to make the game realistic. However, I can certainly get onboard the idea of a ghostly NPC (should be possible once the player models and NPCs come out. A ghost could be a translucent washed-out human NPC character that lacks any color in its clothing. Maybe a task or goal in the game could be to collect the bones of the tortured soul from the dungeon and offer a proper burial.

On occasion I've seen the idea thrown around on having a player metric for reputation so depending on what you do to others or against animals, or even helping ghosts, would build your reputation in certain areas. Your reputation as a helper could be established by helping the souls of the dead find peace. Same with avoiding kiling certain animals or re-planting trees, or not being greedy when exploring dungeons.

I'm definitely loving this idea! Even if no ghosts come, there are spiders and snakes and rats added to the game but not really implemented yet. These might be found near dungeons as well. I still would love to detect magnetic anomalies on the compass.

@ArcticuKitsu

I also had a thought of a dungeon detector, kinda like an or detector. The device would detect an "evil presence". However, my idea was to use audible queues to let you know something is nearby. I posted about this in the link below a few months back. This was after I noticed a heartbeat sound when you get close to Hell. I figured a heartbeat or some other "ominous sound" would let you know that a dungeon or enemy (perhaps the spiders) are nearby. I don't see anything like that in this update but I imagine something is planned based on Waveshapr's response in this thread. Perhaps an enemy presence would trigger a sound, not necessarily the dungeon itself however a dungeon is supposed to be a place where dangers exist so perhaps when the actual mobs come then the discovery of dungeons will change a bit.

I also had a new thought when I was watching you on twitch.tv explore the new dungeons. When you went to hell and your compass started acting up, i had a thought that magentic anomalies might be something to add which would be associated with dungeons. An unexpected change in your needle would clue you in to their presence.

An ominous feeling