Posts by zfoxfire

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

I was just thinking how awesome it will be once the block system is fixed so we can turn half blocks on their side. Then if we get colored glass blocks, we can make some really interesting things like church windows :)

i'm making progress. my issue is with the permission system, not the script. AP seems to work fine once i learned the basic permissions.

My issue is that everyone else (i am defined as admin is the server.config file) is not showing up with a group assignment. The default.permissions is not applying and when i copied that file into groups as Visitor.permissions, setting Visitor as tbe defauly group did nothing and the command to set a player to a group said that the group could not be found. :/

I'm a little confused about how the Area Protection script works in conjunction with the built-in permissions system. The permissions are largely untouched. Do I have to define group settings under permissions or can I manage everything exclusively in AP?

What I want to do is deny any guest permission to modify the world, then I want to set up areas for each player

Is there any documentation on how to properly use this script?

So breaking the silence and spreading the hype... the only dungeon types I am sure of are underground dungeons some of which might have above-ground presence, underwater ruins that might require scuba gear to access, and shacks/log cabins. what I am not sure of are if there will be above-ground temples or shipwrecks.

I had some other ideas since technically any generated structure so... here are some other dungeons I can dream of: desert pyramids, active or abandoned villages, survey or waypoint markers (basically giant stones used for tracking distance or surveying), abandoned water wells above a water cave, maybe even a crashed alien spaceship which can be salvaged! :-D

And as I said on Steam, technically December 3rd 2014 was the launch date of Rising World on Steam however the initial release of Concept was March 16, 2014. I guess we should celebrate that next March... possibly with a sort of cooking system in order to bake a cake :)

Meanwhile in Germany...

KingGenius: *returns from a boss chamber, covered in Orc blood.* That worked well. So are we ready to release now?

Red51: *spills coffee on keyboard # 932* Oh look here, the game is acting funny. I must have found another bug. I guess we will need to do some more "testing".

(Whole room snickers with a sleep deprived caffeine induced laughter)

Waveshapr: Ok, I'll sharpen my sword and put on that Mithril armor. I'll re-check that the sounds are working from every conceivable attack angle. ^_^

Red51: I'll take an elixir of breathing and verify that there are no bricks are in place to that underwater palace ruins..

KingGenius: But Red, cooking hasn't been implemented yet and ruins are supposed to have missing bricks.

Red51: *unpacks a new keyboard* Silence!!

why would Red51 be going crazy to play with dungeons? He and Wavshapr are playing with them right now for testing purposes. Boy am I jealous. I wish I could just get a peek of whats going on over there

I'm intentonally trying not to think about the dungeons because I want to see the update so badly. I suspect that most of us here are just as excited. For me, talking will only make the anticipation even more unbearable even though I want to talk about it.

I feel its going to be really soon. For the past week, Red51 has been hardly active on here or on Steam. He is really deep into coding right now, I'd imagine. Whenever an update is near, he disappears for sometimes days at a time. So I'm just keeping personal conversations to a minimum and just wait and see. I just hope he is getting plenty of rest however and is satisfied with his progress.

most of the features you want are coming. i do not know much about tea and herbs but while poking around the game files, I found a new item: a coffee plant! so it looks like that as well as other new items are in the works. I generally find lots of "work in progress" materials which gives me an idea of when something new is approaching ;)

i also think that computer upgrades are inevitable so when the time comes then just do it, especially with laptops. You'll probably need it for other activities anyways besides gaming. fortunately the game runs great already so unless Red51 abandons OpenGL 4.5 (the standard that your video card likely supports) then i doubt your existing hardware will suddenly become incompatible due to a game update. at worse, the game might slow down due to added NPC behavior, physics, better lighting and weather effects. all that stuff can likely be turned down a bit to make the game run faster.

also, thankyou for confirming the height of a chunk. that actually brings up a concern I brought up in another thread about biomes needing to have height limits. for example, ina desert biome, sandstone is still present downward all the way till you hit hell. Infact, Hell does not register as a Biome but as the same biome above ground (e.g a pleasant mixed forest biome at a pleasant 22 celcius). If we treat hell as a biome and perhaps other additional underworld areas as biomes (such as the giant geode idea I suggested earlier this year or my recent idea of underground NPC dwarf village (if you want to make villages a biome in itself) then biomes have to have a upper and lower limit. perhaps any surface biome end at around y=0. then between there and hell is just the underground where other biome types can exist if not normal rock and tunnels.

I guess this might be a point to consider when the world generation and the biomes are redesigned (I think Arctic referred to it as the biomes being like continents in the ocean). So I am just throwing the idea out there incase you missed my suggestion at that time.

The original thread I posted was titled "underground dwarf cities" which has my ideas about vertical limitations of biomes.

Underground dwarf cities

Indeed, a chunks consists of 16x64x16 (xyz) blocks, the world consists of 19 chunks (vertically)

Yes, that would work, however, it would be necessary to convert existing worlds (since current databases don't take such a flag into account yet), and I really want to avoid world conversions if possible (since there is always a chance that something may go wrong) :D I'm not sure if the "findbase" command is really worth the effort...However, if someone decides to setup his base in a dungeon (or maybe in an abandoned cabin in the woods, which is also considered as a "dungeon"), the "findbase" command would be unable to find it if we really use a "hasDungeon" flag :|

Yes, at least underground dungeons. But what do you mean exactly with "can be set and be viewable by the API"?

I realize that dungeons will probably not generate in known chunks so if a dungeon generates in a new area then the world generator could set those extra values in a chunk database at the time that chunk is created. Otherwise the values would not be in the pre-existing chunks. I personally do not see a reason to convert a chunk to add a value that is always going to be set to false since the dungeon will never exist in a converted chunk. Null can can carry the same meaning as False in this case.

The values if set are exposed through the API for some future plugin use. perhaps a map can use it to indicate entrances for a generated structure. perhaps for the sake of the findbase command the extra flags do not help and object ownership is the way to go. but I feel that the two flags might be useful in the future to be added to the API.

That is what I was trying to convey.

Well, a chunk is not as tall as the world, right? Maybe a chunk value "hasDungeon" can be set in each chunk where a dungeon is generated into. Findbase can ignore those chunks. I figure the dungeon is going to be subtracting stone anways for each chunk it exists in as the world generates so maybe that can be set and then be viewable by the API. Although I cannot imagine what we would need it in the API for. Perhaps someone will write a script to teleport a player to a random dungeon entrance. Maybe other flag such as "hasDungeonEntrance" would be useful for a dungeon perimeter containing a door.

so i wrote a quick plugin to play a sound effect. i noticed so far that only warning_proximity and watermelon_slice effects play where others mentioned in the api such as bear_hunt do not. is it possible to get other sounds working soon and are we only limited to interaction sounds? i tried several ambient and music names but none worked.

Also, a way to kill all sounds within a certain category without knowing the id of the sound events would be helpful. something like killAllSounds("Interaction") would be nice.