Posts by zfoxfire

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.1 (2024-09-02)

The bad part about this is now Red51 can't fix the bugs the players themselves found to make it more polished for both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Release: Tuesday or Wednesday
    Bugfix Party: Wednesday and Thursday

I'm sure Red51 gets himself well rested the night before and has plenty of ground coffee stocked in the pantry for such an occasion. :-D

Wow! This really makes me wish there was a boat as a buildable platform, like in ARK. Yes we could probably go overboard by building skyscrapers on one but still, for those of us who prefer practical and realistic structures, this would be neat to have our own house boat.

Oh... you want to loot our treasure? Hmmm... Let me think about that.. How about no!

Ofcourse the funny part is we can start doing minecraft tricks like dig around the dungeon to the chest room ;-p
    maybe the skeletons can use a pickaxe too and destroy stone too. =O

I already support a few others on Patreon. I think it's a great idea. I follow a few people on youtube and support them via Patreon. When I consider how much entertainment and valuable information I get from them, it's more valuable to me than cable TV and my small contribution along with others adds up and helps the content provider. I'd kick back $5 or so a month to JIW Games if it would help. If not for extra development help, to help support the company while Steam is screwing over Indie developers on revenue.

Oh dang! I forgot about that one. one has already been modeled for the game but it's missing from any of the last few updates. I assumed it would have been in one of them. Maybe red can respond to this one.

Yeah, I saw the video too and I have the same problem... Ofcourse if you're rowing your boat you wont be able to see where you go... unless you can row backwards O_o

For gaming purposes, it wouldn't hurt to have some kind of indicator to show where the bow is. I notice when I look around I can't see the bow at all. Maybe this is something that would better be solved when 3rd person perspective is added. Then the camera should face forward while rowing. Really tho I don't see this as a big deal however. I can figure out my direction by making small course corrections and monitoring the direction the shoreline shifts as I move forwards

Rowing begins at 14:50

There's a plan to add animal domestication in the game. While I like the idea of a whistle to lure a horse, it may not be best to implement such a feature now until the foundation work for animal domestication is added. I do like the idea tho. Currently, plopping a saddle on a horse is a good enough solution to keep the horse from wandering. Maybe in the future we can whistle horses, or lasso a cow, and pick up chickens and toss them into a coop.

This is a really awesome update. Except the worms. i hate worms. Ugh!!! Ugly, slimy, gross little things so essential to our ecosystem yet gross to look at! I guess I wont be fishing anytime soon.

Anyways, looking back, the last year has been pretty awesome in terms of progress. I realize there have been fewer updates but they were big: player models, new tool models, dummy npcs, mounts, boats, fishing, and survival aspects. This is very very cool! I actually found myself scrambling to pickaxe a hole in the side of a mountain to get shelter because i was soaked and freezing to death. Anytime i say to myself, "Wow! I might actually die in Rising World." then I know the game is going somewhere I noticed when I got inside, i eventually began to dry off. I kept F3 up to monitor my change in stats. Now that all the basics are in place, there really needs to be number indicators on our player on the inventory screen to see how different articles of clothing affect insulation. My favorite red flannel shirt and jeans certainly insulate better than the starting rags but some numbers would be helpful. Another suggestion would be that when the temperature warning icon shows up, have little + and - numbers float up from it to indicate a change is taking place. That way you know that whatever you are doing is having a positive effect. Love the numbers on the food and thirst icons. This should help out some of our colorblind players. I guess some additional status icons down there might be coming soon.

I've only explored a small fraction of what's in this update. Really impressed so far.

A minor bug I came across is that when placing the boat in the water, the message on the status bar shows the last action i did. In this case, it read "you ate a slice of pumpkin" which I imagine didn't taste very good in real life. Seriously, you gotta be desperate to eat raw pumpkin but I'm glad it has more use now than simply a jack-o-lantern.

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=1523786657

So i was watching an interesting episode of NOVA on gothic cathedrals and how they are designed structurally. However making stained glass windows was a side topic. I had always wondered how colored glass was made. It turns out that the same techniques of mixing metals with glass results in color once the glass is super heated. On more than one occasion, i've suggested adding additional metals in the earth in order to make new materials. Looks like yet another reason would be to add colored glass. Also seems like not a lot of metal needs to be added. In the Nova episode I watched, glassmakers were making large batches of glass and removing a small ball of glass and rolled it over a thin sheet of shaved metal (far thinner than a metal plate in-game, like aluminum foil almost. Perhaps one plate could be used to make 16 units of glass. Just a thought

On a side note, I assume colored threads are made with plant extracts ( I think minecraft does this for glass as well.. ofcourse we know Minecraft is far from realistic).

Anyways, looks like we already have the metals for making: Red (gold), Blue and Violet (oh wait.. wasn't cobalt removed?), yellow and amber (sulfur), green and brown (iron), blue and green and red (copper). Whatever ingredient used (a plate or metal shavings perhaps) can also be used to make fireworks. each metal produces a different color when burned.

Metals Used to Impart Color to Glass

Cadmium SulfideYellow
    Gold ChlorideRed
    Cobalt OxideBlue-Violet
    Manganese DioxidePurple
    Nickel OxideViolet
    SulfurYellow-Amber
    Chromic OxideEmerald Green
    Uranium OxideFluorescent Yellow, Green
    Iron OxideGreens and Browns
    Selenium OxideReds
    Carbon OxidesAmber-Brown
    Antimony OxidesWhite
    Copper CompoundsBlue, Green, Red
    Tin CompoundsWhite
    Lead CompoundsYellow
    Manganese DioxideA "decoloring" agent
    Sodium NitrateA "decoloring" agent

https://geology.com/articles/color-in-glass.shtml

Wow! This is how i hoped RW would eventually look like. Now that 3rd party shaders are possible, a world of possibilities has risen (pun intended).
    The game however seems to crash on me less than a minute after launch. ReShader does seem to detect the launch however. I have all the effects turned on yet I'm getting 60fps (something I haven't gotten in a long time. So I guess ReShader is doing the postrendering, instead of Rising World. Very cool. Any suggestions however?

Sounds like you're describing Boolean geometry operations. Basically you join objects together or subtract one from another. Its a common tool that 3d builders use to take primitive shapes and construct more elaborate ones.

I've suggested this a few times before as a more advanced construction tool. I'm not sure how practical it is tho to implement it mainly because of texture alignment. Basically Red's gone done quite a bit of work to make sure textures on different objects align when placed next to others of the same pattern. Otherwise it looks funny. With the boolean objects, you open the door for all sorts of new shape possibilities. Not sure how that would work but I definitely do love the idea.