Posts by red51

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.1 (2024-09-02)

Jein. Man kann Zelte craften, sie frei in der Welt platzieren, und in ihnen auch die Nacht verbringen (gleiche Funktion wie Betten).
    Erst mit dem nächsten Update passt sich beim Übernachten (sowohl in Zelten als auch Betten) der Spawnpunkt an. Außerdem soll es in Zukunft möglich sein, Items in Zelten zu lagern (das wird im gleichen Zuge kommen wie Kisten/Truhen).

Und zum Thema "Camping" werden auch noch mehr Möglichkeiten im Laufe der Zeit kommen, wie schon am Anfang des Threads angesprochen: Andere Zelte, Lagerfeuer, Kochstellen etc. :)

Mhh, you are thinking in long time terms. I hope that we all looking back to the first of many self-developed games in 10 years.
    If you keep that in mind, I think you have 2 years to integrate it into concept. After that the next game should be in the pipline :D

If everything goes well, that's the plan. We have quite some ideas for future games. But we'll focus on Concept at least until it reaches its final state (respectively a kind of final state). And after that, we first have some further plans to extend Concept, and I'm talking about really big things. But we will be coming back to that when the time is ripe ;)

[...] For me concept is a high potential (as long as the developer stay focused and keep the good speed of delivering features). It just has to take the critical mass of players. This is the most important part!

Thanks! :) Of course we do our best to bring new updates as quick as possible. Currently some updates may take a little bit longer, since there are still some critical features on our todo list, and we're only 2 developers. Apart from the game development, there are still some other tasks: implement new payment methods, work on the wiki, website etc.
    I'm sure development could be even faster in the future ;) Currently we do our best to bring new updates at intervals of 1-3 weeks.

Are those flowers usefull for something (medicine, tea, ..?) or just nice looking? (also agree to the awesome look)

Yes, flowers can be picked up and used as an ingredient for different things, for example to create potions, cook meals (probably you'd use herbs instead of flowers ;) ), or perhaps to colour textiles.

I am really looking forward to new biomes, especially about the transition from on to another.
    From forest to grassland looks ok, but it could be better (no offense :D ).
    You should have a look at some forest. At the "edge" of a forest are mostly shrubs and you can not really look into the forest. Behind these "first row" of shrubs are not so many of them. The point is if you are at the grassland and someone is in the forest you should not see him so easy. I know this is a small detail but you have to take care about all transitions between the biomes to make sure that the world look smooth.

Yes, that's true, but I think it'll work in this case. In the first step it's important to avoid something like in Mc, where you find a desert next to a polar region sometimes :D
    Anyway we'll have "simple" transitions: Between grasslands and desert you find a steppe, but that's it. Or between grasslands and polar regions you find a tundra and so on ;)

[...] Probably it is better to concentrate on high level suggestions [...]

That's true, but we'll do that anyway :) This is what I also wanted to say with my previous post, that we have to implement animals first, and after that, we first have to complete the survival gameplay etc.

[...] but as my mother use to say: "If you want to do something, do it right". I made the experience that it is sometimes harder to change stuff afterwards. And why not give an input that might be relative usefull? [...]

Your mother is right ;) When we implement something like breeding, we'll most likely do it the way you suggested. But it's uncertain when it will happen; since there is so many stuff we have to do first that is really important for the gameplay (and taming, breeding and herding is rather "fine-tuning"), it may take several months or even a year or so until the time has come =O
    Btw., it depends if something is hard to change afterwards. If we talk about a really big thing like a multiplayer mode, it's of course very hard to implement afterwards (at least in our case, where the whole world has to be in sync, and where we have to deal with a huge amount of data).
    But the more specific the change is, the easier it is to implement afterwards.

[...] But if the dev wants animals to be something valuable, he can say animals will have, later or now, specific atributes or benefits, but progged the game like in minecraft, it might be hard to balance that later on. you know? I dont claim my ideas are mass compatible or the only way. its just a piece of colour to give the game a touch which pushes it in another direction than mc.

The Minecraft system is good, but it's also very basic. So we always welcome any suggestions to make our game more individual ;)

I don't want to say that you have to keep your ideas in your mind. What I am trying to say is that you should try take make a top -> down (or the other way) discussion.
    Start at a high level and go into detail (or start at a low level and go to high level).

For example:
    [...]

So you see there are a lot of thing to think about and one of them is your point. I am more the development guy and so I have to think about the whole concept of something [...]

Of course this would be more helpful, but we can't claim that. Every suggestion is welcome, it doesn't matter how detailed it's described, or how important it is. Undetailed descriptions or "fine-tuning"-features may take a long time until they're implemented, and detailled descriptions are more helpful for sure, as long as that's kept in mind, and nobody expects that his suggestion will be in the game shortly, everything is going to be alright :)

[...] Maybe adding a kind of script that tells: [...]

That will definitely be possible :)

I am also getting your point and I am with you. Sadly I made the experience that thinking small (all the time) could be extremly bad for the whole game. I am also a friend of details and I love talking about crazy new ideas no other game will ever have. But keep in mind that even this game will never have it

This "all the time" is a very important part in your sentence ;) Thinking small all the time is extremely bad for the game, that's a bitter reality, but thinking sometimes small won't hurt ^^
    And bringing a lot of cool features in the game is not impossible, but a very very very time consumpting task. You see that when taking a look at Minecraft: Even today they're adding cool new stuff, but they're working on the game since a very long time. They can afford it, they earned so much money (and still sell plenty copies of that game) that there is no real need to make new games as fast as possible to avoid declaring insolvency.
    As long as a game is not such a huge success, you have to concentrate on the most important "cool features" ;)

[...] ( red51: challenge for you to disprove me :D )

Challenge accepted. What's the time frame? 10 years? :D

[...] But to be honest, i dont know much about scripting etc. Just hope the lua stuff is as easy as i hope so i can do the stuff i like to see^^ for example the optionalbe marketstand without an admin needed^^

Don't worry, it's not that hard ;) Lua is also easy to learn. This scripting system is comparable to SA:MP, MTA or IV:MP (yes, mods for a completely different game, but the basic idea of writing a gamemode is the same).
    But currently it's nearly impossible to write gamemodes without any documentation. You should wait until our wiki is available ;)

In my personal opinion should be a herd and its basic behavior part of the main game and not from a lua script. But to decide this is part of the developer.

That's the way it's currently intended :) Of course there is a basic behavior, spawning, AI etc. You only write a Lua script if you want to change this behavior, for example if animals should not spawn during evening, or if a monster should be spawned instead every time an animal should have spawned, or simply to completely prevent wild animal spawning.

[...] oh, btw, a meltingsystem would be nice ;) instead of repairing stuff to the unlimited you could "recycle" stuff [...]

Yes, something like a "recycle system" is planned, that tools or weapons can be melted to get some of the basic materials back.

[...] If I hear coins (or money) it reminds me to the question about "in game sales". Are you planning to do this? [...]

By no means! We will never implement something like ingame sales or something like that, at least nothing that can be exchanged with "real" money ;)

Trading on the other hand is a planned feature. You'll be able to trade with other players at all time, simply by right-clicking them. This will open a trading menu where you can simply exchange items. So you may trade your iron sword for 32 apples for example ;) Or you may also give away your sword for free as a gift.

Apart from that it'll also be possible for serveradmins to spawn NPC's, and you can give them different task and you can define how they should interact with other players: For example, you can say that they should simply attack hostile mobs when they're close enough (so the NPC will become something like a guard), or you can create a conversation (so the NPC may tell you the serverrules or -news). Of course you can also say that the NPC should be a trader, and you're able to define what items he has in stock, and what they'll cost.
    All these things can be done in creative mode. You should know that the creative mode will be more likely an "ingame-editor". There you place the NPCs and you'll get different tools (e.g. a conversation editor) to define the interactions. Advanced users can combine this with Lua scripting of course ;)

Perhaps we will also implement something like a "travelling trader" for the singleplayer: A trader will spawn something near you with his cart for a certain amount of time where you can buy or sell items. But this feature is still uncertain...

[...] If the player now has the ability to "transform" rare stuff into coins it would make the game more lorefriendly [...]

Yes, that's why it'll be possible to craft coins (e.g. copper, silver and gold coins, but without "mixing" different ores, since this would be a little bit too complicated, and that also implies that "mixing" ores should also be possible for weapons or tools, and that goes beyond the scope of the game =O ). Combined with the ability of the serverowner to exclude some items from crafting, coins become a "real" currency that cannot be forged by someone else.

[...] Instead player could "rent" a specific "marketstandsize" and offer their goods there [...]

That's something the serverowner is responsible for. "Renting" something is - of course - not intended by the game, so it's necessary to do this either by virtue of agreement (e.g. you have a hotel with serveral rooms, every door is locked, and when the player gives you whatever you want for one night, you give him the key for a door), or by creating a custom Lua script (remember that this is really a special thing we're talking about, so Lua is the only real solution for implementing something that individual) ;)

Don't worry, you're definitely not spamming the forum, you can write as much as you want, we welcome any posts :thumbup:

First of all: Yes, we're planning to bring a form of payment into the game. It will simply be an item (perhaps coins, maybe they will be threated differently from regular items). Since server-admins (yes, once again, payment is a multiplayer-only feature) will get the ability in the future to restrict items (so that they can't be crafted), they're the only ones who can control how much money is in circulation ;)

About the silver- and goldmines, allocated among different kingdoms: This is difficult to implement due to the randomness of the world; if the world would not be random, this would be much easier. In addition, ores will also occur randomly, comparable to Minecraft. The occurrence is only influenced by the depth and the current biome (e.g. diamonds are more common in deserts etc.).

That's your decision, if you want to write in english, write in english, if you want to write in german, write in german (preferably in the german section of the forum) :D

Once again, I like your suggestion! How should players find out the quality of the animals products? By trial and error?

But this feature will also take a long time until it's fully implemented, since we currently don't have any animals at all, and we're working on bringing them into the game ;) Once they're ingame, we have to implement all other things that are necessary for survival gameplay first, then we can do this kind of "fine-tuning" :)

German:
    Wir haben die Angelegenheit innerhalb des Teams besprochen, und wir denken, dass wir am Lua scripting System festhalten sollten, da dieses Feature ja auch nur im Multiplayer wirklich Sinn macht. Momentan ist nichts dergleichen geplant wie ein Bürgermeister, Städte oder Königreiche (natürlich abgesehen von durch Spieler geschaffene Städte oder Königreiche), aber all dies kann problemlos mithilfe von Lua umgesetzt werden.
    Aber wie gesagt, wir werden definitiv ein paar grundlegende Scripts erstellen, auch sowas wie du dir gewünscht hast, welche auch völlig ohne Programmierkenntnisse verwendet werden können :) Ingame wird man ohnehin keinen Unterschied feststellen ^^

English:
    We discussed the matter in the team, and we think, that we should stick with the Lua scripting system, since this feature only makes sense in multiplayer. Currently there is nothing planned like a mayor, cities or kingdoms (of course apart from player-made cities or kingdoms), but everything can be easily done with Lua.
    But as mentioned, we will definitely create some basic scripts, also something like what you've requested, which can be used without any programming knowledge :) You won't see a difference ingame anyway ^^

Hi Marxell,

thanks for your suggestions! :)

1. Yeah, that would be a nice feature, but brings a few difficulities concerning the way we have to store those information (which block is damaged, what amount of damage etc.). We're planning to add this feature for objects, with different "damage stages": For example when hitting a door, it will break up more and more.
    We'll have a look if we can also implement this feature for blocks ;)

2. This is already possible with custom lua scripts. You can control who is allowed to build or destroy something within defined areas. You can also create something like factions or groups, and define which group may place a block, or pick up an item etc. depending on the current location of the player. It's even possible to add new elements to the GUI, e.g. a small label in the bottom of your screen showing the name of the area or it's owner or something like that.
    We will offer more scripts "out of the box" in the future, so that they can be used without any programming knowledge. Futhermore, we are working on a wiki and more tutorials, to bring light into the darkness ;)
    Or do you think that "claiming lands" should be a "core feature" of the game?

3. Sounds good! There is already a map in the game, but it's quite useless, so it can't be crafted at the workbench ^^ Your idea is a good approach I think, I like the cartography aspect :) But it will still take a bit of time until this feature is implemented.

Hi folks!

You've probably expected a new update, but unfortunately, it's not ready yet || This is due to the fact that the game is undergoing some bigger changes, and we're also doing a lot of bugfixes. We're not only working on the game, but are also implementing a new payment method: paysafecard, which will hopefully available in the next few weeks.

Concerning the game, we're currently fixing a lot of annoying things, e.g. "flying plants" near cave entrances, or missing grass at some locations. We also replaced the old filebrowser (which was used for uploading custom images) by an ingame solution, since the old one caused many problems.

Another point: With the next update, there will be a new biome type: Grassland, with only a few trees, and many smaller plants (which are also new) like flowers, ferns etc.

This is just the first step of realizing some bigger features. Here is an overview of the new features and also a roadmap for the next time:

Next update:

• Changed worldgeneration to generate bigger cave entrances
    • Added a new "biometype": Grassland with only few trees
    • New ingame-filebrowser to select and upload custom images
    • New plants: Flowers, ferns, mushrooms
    • Fixed a lot of annoying "cosmetic" problems, like flying trees near cave entrances
    • Changed the look of the grass
    • Fixed a lot of problems related to cutting grass

Following updates (in the long term):

• New biomes, like desert, tundra, polar region, savanna etc.
    • New crafting gui with clearer navigation
    • Extended construction system
    • Animals and Monsters
    • Chests to store your items
    • Corpses when you die, allowing you to get your stuff back
    • Ability to deconstruct objects, pack tents etc.
    • Creative Mode (containing many, many tools)

Note: There will be of course more things we'll implement, so this list is not complete ;) And btw., this list is not sorted.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lastly, I want to show you a few screenshots of some of the new features:

Meadows:

Ingame-filebrowser:

Flowers:

Stay tuned! :)

Hey folks!

The new update is now available! The launcher downloads it automatically - as always :)

This update introduces static lighting, i.e. you get the ability to place torches in the world. In order to place a torch in the world, you have to craft a mount for it. After placing the mount, you can attach the torch to it. Afterwards, you can pickup the torch at all time and hold it in your hands, while it still spends light.

This update also contains some major bugfixes.

Current restrictions, which will be fixed in the future:

• Torchlights will not be blocked by walls
    • Sometimes light is wrong, but gets updated correctly after modifying the chunk
    • Rotation of mounts does not fit exactly to special blocktypes, like cylinders

---------------------------------------------------------------

Full changelog:

• [New] Static lighting works now again (i.e. torches can be placed in the world)
    • [New] A mount for torches can be crafted which is required to place torches on walls etc.
    • [Change] Chunks are now saved differently which should be a little bit more efficient
    • [Change] Object and Vegetations receive light with higher precision now
    • [Change] Renamed some Lua database functions
    • [Change] Adjusted specular lighting
    • [Change] Reduced direct memory consumption by sharing more buffers
    • [Bugfix] Fixed the problem that plants (trees, scrubs) were fully black sometimes
    • [Bugfix] Fixed some problems with the ingametime
    • [Bugfix] Fixed a bug that you wake up after sleeping while it was still night
    • [Bugfix] Lua Label and Panel setX() and setY() work properly now
    • [Bugfix] Lua setTimer() function no longer causes a 'ConcurrentModificationException'
    • [Bugfix] Server no longer skips night when no player is online
    • [Bugfix] Hopefully fixed the problem with missing chunks

An sich schon, das Flackern selbst würde auf diese Weise umgesetzt werden (das Flackern berechnet ohnehin die Grafikkarte), allerdings bringt eine globale Einstellung das Problem mit sich, dass es die gesamte Spielwelt betreffen würde, da sich alle Chunks dasselbe Material teilen.
    Selbst wenn pro Chunk ein individuelles Material definiert wäre, würde diese "globale" Einstellung trotzdem noch alle statischen Lichtquellen innerhalb des Chunks betreffen, also würden auch alle normalen Lampen flackern :D Sprich wenn neben einer Fackel eine normale, moderne Lampe platziert wird, würden beide flackern.

Die Schwierigkeit ist also, dass für jeden einzelnen Vertex separat entschieden werden muss, ob an dieser Stelle geflackert werden soll oder nicht (die Prüfung also, ob die diesen Vertex erreichende Lichtquelle flackerndes Licht abgibt, wie die Fackel, oder normales konstantes Licht, wie eine moderne Lampe) ;) Und da ist die einzige vertretbare Lösung eigentlich ein eigener Buffer...

Danke! :)

Der Radius sowie Lichtfarbe sind komplett variabel. Momentan entspricht der Radius der platzierten Fackeln dem Radius der "in Händen gehaltenen" Fackel ;)

Lichtflackern ist erstmal noch nicht drin, weil das diverse Schwierigkeiten mit sich bringt: Momentan wird das statische Licht (sowohl künstliches als auch natürliches) als VertexBuffer an den Shader übergeben (Vector4, rgb für die künstliche Lichtfarbe, a für den Anteil des natürlichen Lichts). Für sowas wie Flackern bräuchten wir einen weiteren Indikator (schließlich sollen ja nicht alle Lichtquellen flackern), leider ist der VertexBuffer wie man sieht komplett ausgebucht, und einen weiteren Buffer wollen wir nicht extra dafür verwenden :| Wir müssen mal schauen, ob sich irgendwann mal die Möglichkeit auftut, so einen Wert (der ja pro Vertex gesetzt sein muss) möglichst optimal den den Shader zu geben (vll i.V.m Texturkoordinaten, allerdings wird dann auch der "Berechnungsaufwand" des statischen Lichts [was ja die CPU erledigen muss] größer).

Beim dynamischen Licht wäre das hingegen kein Problem, all dessen Daten werden als Uniforms an den Shader gegeben, und bei Punktlichtern haben wir noch einen Parameter frei ;) Allerdings wäre auch das wahrscheinlich suboptimal, wenn die Fackel flackert, während sie in der Hand gehalten wird, aber ganz ruhig ist, sobald sie an der Wand klebt :D

The next update gives you the ability to place torches and lamps in the world, to illuminate the environment. You can place as many torches or lamps as you want. You can also pickup a placed torch at any time and hold it in your hand, while it still spends light.

We're also preparing more "light-spending items", for example flares and chemlights.

The update will be available within the next days, so stay tuned! :)

Thanks for your suggestions and your feedback! :) It's always good to receive positive feedback, we're pleased to hear that you like it!

About your suggestions:

1: advertising. LOADS of people would be trying this game out if they knew about it. And I'm sure that on indiedb alone many people have clicked on it. But the one thing that people dont want to risk is $15. If there is one thing people aren't lenient with its money. I suggest maybe somehow releasing a free version of the game? I know the money helps a lot, but this game would have plenty of youtube videos and downloads if it was free during the alpha stage. I feel I've definitely got my money's worth, but many wouldn't risk it.

Yeah, advertising is quite important and still lacking at the moment. Many people are hesitant, and the majority does not even know about this game. Making the game for free now won't be a good solution, since it's a little bit a slap in the face for all current customers. But we already thought about something like a free demo, with reduced content, maybe a restricted playable area or something like this. We need to discuss that topic.

2: Have you guys ever thought of adding a little horror aspect to it? The first time I entered a cave with a torch I was really hoping you guys hadn't added any hostile mobs, because it would have scared the heck out of me! But all in all, this would be a great horror game: no planned jumpscares, monsters jumping out when you least expect it, everything is random. Wouldn't be any other horror game like it. And horror games are kind of trendy right now. It would add an extra spark to an already innovative game in my opinion.

That's an interesting idea. Admittedly we never really thought about that, but to a certain extent, it could be a thrilling aspect. The good thing is, we're not able to do anything "pre-scripted", so of course everything would be random. We'll discuss which of our planned monsters fit into a horror sheme, and in what manner. Thanks for this hot tip! :thumbup:
    But obviously, we need to bring any monsters or animals into the game as soon as possible ;)

Exactly, this feature mainly focuses on multiplayer ;)

Of course factions or jobs are possible, those things can be easily done with scripts. You can define whatever you want, for example set different colors, or define a territory for each faction.