Posts by Darwin_Blackwolf

Zork 'stole' one of my mentions that I'd love to see stack number in the hotbar standing out. Some background or font change that you'll see the stack number in any environment. Mentioned & showed it in one of my videos when pyramid building that I moved my POV around until I could see the stack number.

Something like this would be greatly useful if placed inside the config.properties file where Red could set a default font, along with backup fonts in case a user doesn't have the default font. Like we do in web design. Then, if a user wishes to change it, they'd need only change the font name. This of course would be providing the fonts would be where they're supposed to be on a Mac or Windows machine. But this location too could be set up with a variable in the config file.

Compass: Maybe I'm stupid, yet I would love it if there was a main arrow pointing to the direction, a secondary & third to both main and secondary bed, and a fourth one for anything else. I tried to make sense of the compass, yet it was being strange to me. Couldn't even track my main bed, only the last area I slept at.......

This reminds me of when cotton and hemp were first introduced and I went on a massive walkabout to find some. I was following the beach so I wouldn't get lost, but I would also be setting tents down each night to pass the time. After about an in-game week, I had finally found cotton, and wanted to get home. Relying on my trusty compass, I found myself not going back home, but instead going back to my last tent. Half an in-game day had gone by and by the time I found my tent, I realized I was screwed. Thankfully, I had written down my xyz coordinates on a piece of paper, and with F3, I quickly realized I had not only gone east when I left, but the beach had twisted and turned, and I was somehow to the west of my home by quite a distance. So a compass that can always identify your homes, and not just your last slept bed, would be very useful.

Here in Canada, it's 11:20 a.m. on Christmas Day. I just wanted to wish every Rising Worlder and the game developers a very Merry Christmas.

Ici au Canada, il est 11:20 du jour de Noël. Je voulais juste souhaiter à chaque Rising Worlder et les développeurs du jeu un très Joyeux Noël.

If anyone wishes to chime in with these wishes in another language, please do so. My Italian and Spanish are dated, and my German revolves around one word: Gezuntheit.

when is the new uptade ?If you develop the game faster, you will gain more.Updates are inadequate and slow

To be this good of a game requires a lot of hard work from the development team. We're all looking forward to the next update. Hell, most of us look forward to the next update right after an update is released. I'm sure the team knows very well about game traction when it comes to releases, but which is better: to have an update full of bugs that not only crashes your system, but also causes it to accidentally blow up which would cause you to hate the developers and contemplate a lawsuit just because fans want it faster, or a finely crafted update that runs smoothly on your system and makes you totally forget the fact that you were supposed to be at work or school three days ago?

Some games (I'm not going to name any (cough Minecraft cough)) has been known to take up to a year for a new update, and while I don't have documented statistics, I'm sure the game is still selling well even at day 300 with no new update.

If it's out before Christmas, then that makes it one heck of a present. If it's out by the end of the year, then it's one heck of a way to end 2016. And if it's out in early 2017, then what a way to start the new year. Okay, maybe it's time for me to tone down my optimism. Heheheh But like you, I'm looking forward to the next update very much. Whenever it gets released, I know it'll be great.

That said, Merry Christmas to you.

Good list, and I agree on all points. An actual table saw sound for the sawbench would work, as long as it keeps playing all the while we're using the sawbench, and not just a quick play of the sound byte. A watering can would be welcomed, but at the same time, so too would water/rain barrels. If you could transfer water from a watering hole to a barrel with a bucket, this would be nice. Or maybe a hose we could attach to a barrel. Birds work for feathers, but so too do chickens. We'd have a greater chance of getting more feathers from chickens than from birds in the wild. If we have degradable tools, weapons, and armour, then we should be able to mend them. Just because we have ample ore at our disposal doesn't mean we should eschew mending them.

As for mountains and snow caps, that should depend on altitude, biome, season, and temperature. Unless Red wants to make a snow-making/ice making machine, which as a Canadian winter lover I would wholeheartedly enjoy. But otherwise, I doubt we'll ever have an Everest-like mountain in the game. That said, I'd love to see snowmobiles, skis, and snow rackets in the game one day.

And as I said on Steam, technically December 3rd 2014 was the launch date of Rising World on Steam however the initial release of Concept was March 16, 2014. I guess we should celebrate that next March... possibly with a sort of cooking system in order to bake a cake :)

Or, we could celebrate today and next March, seeing as both are important Rising World milestones. While right now, the in-game date is only available with F3, it would be interesting if one day a full in-game calendar could be implemented that would not only include important Rising World milestones, but could also allow for manual input. And, if the game gets in-game milestones like with Minecraft, they could be added to this calendar. TerraFirmaCraft has an in-game calendar that announces the developers' birthdays each year. I wonder if this could be implemented as a plugin. Food for thought for any plugin developer reading this. Either way, happy anniversary, Rising World.

Heheh That's one silly billy. I've seen pigs and moose walk on cave walls and walk on air when I first started playing. Since then, it's been better. Unfortunately for the animals who made it into caves these ways, they're now stuck in those caves. Which makes me wonder whether using dug-out holes could be used as animal pens without them escaping. Maybe line the interior with stone blocks. It's not the same as what we would all rather do, but if it works, why not.

On a side-note, it's always inspiring to look at someone else's work.

Thanks for the information on the Steam Awards. Had you not mentioned it here, I would never have noticed it in time. I also voted for "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award." I personally believe Red and the rest of the team deserves it, because I haven't been this excited for a game since I first played Minecraft in 2011. Now, if only more members of the community could jump onto the bandwagon and vote as well.

The idea of using every part of a kill is a good one. The skin of a bear could become a rug. The hide of a cow could be used as leather. We can take the teeth and claws of a bear to make jewelry. We can even use the bones, whether for stews or decorative purposes. Or maybe we want the head of a bear on the wall like we can currently do with a moose.

Hmmm. That said, taxidermy would be an interesting add-on to the game. We could then have the animals "live on" in our trophy rooms. If there are 3D models somewhere in those JAR files, those could be used as a basis for taxidermy. "Collect them all!"

One word: Speechless.
    Okay, one more: Amazing.

Okay, I can't end this message with just those two words. I never saw your original screenshots, but it's videos like this one that truly shows what one can do with a game like Rising World if one sets his or her mind to it. Good job, thanks for sharing, and keep it up!

Good topic and a nice poll. I like the idea of being able to play your own music, whether it's via a server-side radio station or using an in-game constructed music player. My only issue is the file format. You mention OGG and MIDI, but of course, there's also the popular MP3 format. I'd even recommend attempting to add MOD sound file support if possible.

However, the one problem with this idea is copyright. Sure, if you wish to play music in a single player game, that's fine because it's yours, but as soon as you create a video and post it on YouTube, you risk getting your ass served with a DMCA warning, and most likely your account will be locked. As a matter of fact, running a server-side radio station or streaming paid radio services for all your players to listen to would also mean a violation of the DMCA, and in the case of the radio services, could also have your account suspended or terminated due to a violation of their terms.

The solution to the copyright problem would be royalty-free music like so many people use in their YouTube videos. The idea is to not get players into trouble.

Personally, I already have the capabilities to create a playlist in iTunes that I can play while in-game, and there is no hiccup to the music. AC/DC and Rising World go well together.

However, I wonder if a plugin could be made to perform some of these features with maybe a small built-in GUI front-end, or maybe as a playlist file, or by accessing music players like iTunes.

Another thought I have had is extending the crafting mechanism whereby I am not able to craft an item if there is no room in inventory to receive it. Thus if inventory is full I cant dig any more stone et al.

I wouldn't want to not be able to mine anymore once my inventory was full. It would be too unrealistic and frustrating. You can always do the one thing I keep thinking of doing but never actually do: create yourself a storage room in your mine, and store your ore and stone in chests and crates. Sure, you still have to move your ore and stone back home afterward, but at least you don't have to go back home each time your inventory is full. Now mind you, here's an interesting idea: What if, once your inventory was full and you kept mining, you were given the option to choose to replace the items in one slot with the item you're mining? Maybe it could go further than this by having a selection in the game that states "whenever I mine ore and my inventory is full, automatically replace a slot with stone with this ore."

As for the idea of being unable to craft something when there's no room left in your inventory, I'd rather have direct access to my inventory to provide me with the option of replacing something less useful (say a stack of stone, or a lone stick) with what I wanted to craft. That said, when it comes to workbenches, it would be interesting if they had 1-6 spare slots where you could store crafted items if your inventory was full. Maybe once you get out of the crafting GUI, a 3D representation of the item (i.e. what a block looks like when dropped on the ground or is sledgehammered) could sit atop your workbench for you to pick up. The question then would be "how long would it stay on your workbench if you chose not to take it?" Indefinitely? As long as you state for things to stay before despawning?

In the end, it is annoying to lose a piece of ore to a full inventory, but if your inventory is full in the first place, what's one missed piece next to the 5x64 others in your inventory? When I see I'm close to running out of space, I throw away 2x64 slots of stone as a preventative measure. And once I run out of stone, that's when it's time to leave. But once you have as much ore as I do, even an ore detector can be dropped without a care, because I can easily make thousands more.

But let's keep up with the good ideas. None are bad, and in the end, it's up to the coders to decide whether they get implemented or not. Even if we disagree.

I hope that is taken into consideration my suggestion. Especially the bells, because I would serve for some of my buildings :)

Buildings aside, bells (and chimes that stem from bells) would also be a great way to warn us of an impending natural disaster. Whether it's the rising wind of a hurricane or tornado, or even the start of an earthquake or a volcanic eruption. To hear the bells /chimes tolling from within x blocks would allow us to prepare for it, even if it's just to save our lives by going to a self-built panic room / storm cellar / underground bunker.

I wouldn't rule out bells in the future, but you'll have to be patient. This game is still in its infancy. Ideas like yours help. Brainstorming ideas in the forums help. But the more we request, the longer the to-do list becomes, and the more time some items may take to implement.

Speaking of the full inventory message, it's unfortunate that what you mine afterwards doesn't stick around for you to pick up later. The game has a controlled timed delay to make dropped items and dead creatures' bodies disappear, so this could be used to make these items disappear as well after a while if we don't pick them up. How easy would that be to implement at some point in the future?

Adding some illumination to the display might be a good idea for one of the next updates^^

While the beeping does hint at how close you are, seeing the display would be great. When you do put some time in to add illumination to the display, is there a chance you can fix the ore selector as well? I've been noticing more and more that it tends to reset itself to "All Ores" out of the blue, oft-times being while I'm switching between the ore detector and the flashlight. Maybe making it only a manual switch instead. This is older than the current update, but this conversation and tonight's mining session reminded me of it.

The lit display would also be great for players who are hearing impaired, and those who like to blast their own music or TV/movie in the background while playing.

I just finished a good session in my mine, and I love the new sounds and music. However, what I thought was a brighter ore detector display earlier must have been caused by the fumes in the darkened outhouse, because once I started using it in my mine, I couldn't see it once more. Maybe it was wishful seeing. Or me hinting at the idea for the future. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I love the lit displays on the ore detector. I also noticed that when I blew up some dynamite in the water, it left behind an air pocket, and while underwater examining said air pocket, I started taking what looked to be drowning damage.

Quite the explosive release. Very nice. I noticed you removed the cobalt. Is that for the sake of having no use for it, or to minimize the amount of ores we can collect in the game? Also, will the sulfur appear in already loaded chunks?

Thanks to you and the team for the hard work. It's always appreciated. Time to go give it a shot before supper. I'm sure I'll have a ... ahem .. blast. *groan*

I like the idea of eventually adding natural disasters, but they should be controlled via the settings as some might prefer not to have them at all. And unlike asking mining to be turned off in the settings which would be preposterous for a mining game, natural disasters are not a must to a mining game. But they also need to make sense, and that's one massive ball of yarn to unfurl. The idea of an underwater volcano eventually forming an island sounds intriguing.

As for bread, I've always found it funny how in a game, food is generally just that, food. We can't taste it. We can't smell it. We can't even touch it. We can only see it and "eat it." And yet, we want more from it. Combos like sandwiches, salads, pizzas, and desserts. If we're to include food recipes like in TerraFirmaCraft, maybe the food's qualities and faults should also be taken into account. This way, when tiredness becomes a factor from not getting enough sleep in the game, we can get a sugar or caffeine fix, or maybe for those who like drinking, they can have alcohol. That said, sugarcane, coconuts, cacao, and coffee beans would be nice add-ons in the future due to potential recipes. Plus milk from cows and goats, which would later bring us cheese. It would also be nice if the chickens could give us eggs, but I'm guessing that won't happen until animals can procreate.

Bells are a good idea for many reasons. For those who have built churches, they can add church bells. For those who want grandfather or grandmother clocks, they could chime on the hour, and for those who want egg timers, they can buzz when done. Later on, when string is added, we can probably even use bells with string to set basic traps to warn us of possible impending trouble, like wolves attacking our chickens, or someone entering our cave.

Well, that's my Canadian nickel's worth on the matter. Onward to today's update!

Good job on granny's cottage. Very impressive. Go with Deirdre's rocking chair. Grandma needs a nice rocking chair to knit in while looking out for Red Riding Hood and the big bad wolf.