Dedicated Server on linux need help!

We've posted a status update with some first screenshots of the new terrain generation. There is also a new update available for the Java version!

  • Dedicated Server on linux need help!

    Hi All!
    I created a server with rising world on debain 9 x64 linux, installed it through an automatic script from gsmarena. The server starts, but it is not visible in the list of servers from the game client ... But you can connect to it through the command connect + IP address. I use standard ports and opened on my router 4254-4259 tcp + udp.
    What could be the problem? help advice
  • Can you maybe post the IP here (or alternatively send it via PM to me)? If the server is running I can check if the master server can find this server :)
    Where is the server missing exactly? In the Steam client, or the ingame server list?

    Esmertec wrote:

    Server_lan_mod-false, as I understand it, this option enables visibility on the local network or on the Internet?
    That's just a setting for Steam and should only be set to true if you just want to play via LAN. So "false" is indeed the correct setting here ;)
  • red51 wrote:

    Can you maybe post the IP here (or alternatively send it via PM to me)? If the server is running I can check if the master server can find this server :)
    Where is the server missing exactly? In the Steam client, or the ingame server list?

    Esmertec wrote:

    Server_lan_mod-false, as I understand it, this option enables visibility on the local network or on the Internet?
    That's just a setting for Steam and should only be set to true if you just want to play via LAN. So "false" is indeed the correct setting here ;)
    the server is not visible in the steam client, the list of servers ..
    234.png
  • Thanks for the screenshot ;) It looks like the server is bound to the local ip (192.168.x.x). If you want the server to show up in the server list, you have to bind it to your public/internet ip instead (see the "server_ip" setting in the server.properties file). Alternatively you can leave the "server_ip" field blank, then the server binds to all addresses.
  • red51 wrote:

    Thanks for the screenshot ;) It looks like the server is bound to the local ip (192.168.x.x). If you want the server to show up in the server list, you have to bind it to your public/internet ip instead (see the "server_ip" setting in the server.properties file). Alternatively you can leave the "server_ip" field blank, then the server binds to all addresses.
    yes, I did just that, statically registered an IP address, both in OS settings and in server.properties. If the server_ip field is left blank, then the following error will occur during server debug (see screenshot)
    23.png
    if you specify all ip in server.properties, debuging stops in the next step
    12.png
    -> java.net.BindException: Unable to assign the requested address (translate to eng)
  • The 2nd message indicates that Steam is unable to bind to that ip... which indicates the server (or at least Steam) isn't able to "see" this ip... is that the actual public IP of the server, or does the server perform some sort of IP translation (NAT)? Can you upload a full server log (or alternatively send it via PM to me)?
  • red51 wrote:

    The 2nd message indicates that Steam is unable to bind to that ip... which indicates the server (or at least Steam) isn't able to "see" this ip... is that the actual public IP of the server, or does the server perform some sort of IP translation (NAT)? Can you upload a full server log (or alternatively send it via PM to me)?
    this is a public ip, on the same ip I have my web site, the address is not behind the nat server...
    debug.log server:
    debug_log.txt
  • red51 wrote:

    Hmm... It still looks like "server_ip" in the server.properties file is set to the local ip (192.168.x.x)... did you set "server_ip" to your public ip (212.33.255.19)?
    I tried differently, yes - in a debug a log is issued when server ip = local ip

    Source Code

    1. server_ip=192.168.1.8
    2. server_query_ip=212.33.255.19
    if you swap ip

    Source Code

    1. server_ip=212.33.255.19
    2. server_query_ip=192.168.1.8
    then debug gives the following error, and it is impossible to connect to the server from the client even through a direct connection, specifying the server ip address
    debug_log.txt
  • Basically there is no need to change the server_query_ip, so it's recommended to keep the default value 0. Alternatively you can set it to the same value as your server_ip (your public ip, i.e. 212.33.x.x).
    Never use your local IP (192.168.x.x) anywhere in the server properties, unless you want to play via LAN only ;)
  • red51 wrote:

    Basically there is no need to change the server_query_ip, so it's recommended to keep the default value 0. Alternatively you can set it to the same value as your server_ip (your public ip, i.e. 212.33.x.x).
    Never use your local IP (192.168.x.x) anywhere in the server properties, unless you want to play via LAN only ;)
    ок =) I did as follows:

    Source Code

    1. server_ip=212.33.255.19
    2. server_query_ip=
    but got an error: SEVERE: Error while starting the server: java.net.BindException: Unable to assign requested address (see full debug)
    I searched on the Internet what this error is associated with and found out that some ports that the server uses are busy ... This is strange because I don’t use any of the specified java ports .. What else could be the problem?
    debug_log.txt
  • New

    red51 wrote:

    Hey, sorry for the late response, I missed your post unfortunately :( However, please set the values as described in my previous post. It's important to set server_query_ip either to 0 (default setting), or your server ip (the public ip, i.e. 212.33.x.x), that should do the trick
    Hi! During this long time I have already tried various options, including this one that you have just proposed. I entered the values server_query_ip=0\0.0.0.0\my real IP as server_ip. When debugging the server, the same error is always displayed in java, as in the log above (post 13). I tried to stop all servers on my hyper-v, since the error is related to a busy port, but all to no avail ... And to the current day, I have not been able to start my server due to the same error:

    Source Code

    1. SEVERE: Error while starting the server: java.net.BindException: Невозможно назначить запрошенный адрес
    2. java.net.BindException: Невозможно назначить запрошенный адрес
    3. at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
    4. at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:433)
    5. at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:425)
    6. at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:223)
    7. at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketChannel.doBind(NioServerSocketChannel.java:128)
    8. at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.bind(AbstractChannel.java:558)
    9. at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.bind(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1283)
    10. at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeBind(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:501)
    11. at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.bind(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:486)
    12. at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.bind(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:989)
    13. at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel.bind(AbstractChannel.java:254)
    14. at io.netty.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap$2.run(AbstractBootstrap.java:364)
    15. at io.netty.util.concurrent.AbstractEventExecutor.safeExecute(AbstractEventExecutor.java:163)
    16. at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor.runAllTasks(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:403)
    17. at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:463)
    18. at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:858)
    19. at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFactory$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:138)
    20. at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    21. Unable to start networkserver. Server will exit...
    Display All
    P.S. Regarding a long answer, no big deal, I also have a blockage at work, the deployment of different game servers is my hobby, thanks for your help in this! ;)