Photogrammetry & 3D Scanning

• In my quest to import real world stuff into Rising World & VRChat I'm trying to find various tools, applications, and practices to do so. Shall be making note of tolls in hopes something can be found out.

- Polycam - 3D Scanner:

https://poly.cam/explore

----------------

I'm sharing this for those who care about modding Rising World, the one of many applications you could potentially use to import your real world items into Rising World. It could be Java's 'static model' plugin, or it can even be done through Rising World's future Unity plugin.

I'm sure there are other scanner applications out there which we could potentially use for Rising World. Java version first, VRChat after.

Android version is limited to photogramatry mode while ipad & iPhones can make use of Lidar features allowing you to scan your rooms, structures, etc into Rising World to which you can then furnish. Whatever you want to do, the choice is yours. Build and scan your real world items into Rising World, the choice is yours. I've sought this out for Rising World, it seems equally as usable for Rising World.

This thread isn't just for 'Poly cam', I'll be sharing others I'll find along the way in my desire to figure out ways to get IRL stuff into VRChat & Rising World, among other games.

-------

Edit: Freemode sucks, have to pay to which you have to make sure to REALLY research things as you go. Have to pay to get the actual benefits of it.

• ArcticuKitsu

Changed the title of the thread from “Polycam - 3D Scanner” to “Photogrammetry & 3D Scanning”.
  • Found a better app thanks to the Japanese community I'm in.

-------------

WIDAR:

Scan your items and objects into a 3D form, touch it up, register for WIDAR, download the necessary files, and import it into a game that supports it. I intended it for VRChat, it can also be used in Rising World Java (eventually Unity version, hopefully). If Red51 can make things seemless, and if people would support this method, it would make Rising World that much better.

Scanning my 'Shinki Renge', a proud figure I have taken pictures of since 2010. I've single-handedly made this figure overly popular, but that's beside the point.

You have to actually walk around the figure, not do as I did by trying to 'lazy susan' your way in place. The app needs to know references to scan around it. Use a white background, maybe a dark base (contrast is key), and carefully walk around your object to make it into a proper 3D model.

For the fun of it I even scanned a bike I was lent to be used later in both VRChat & Rising World. I'm still planning to heavily use this app for both game's purposes.

I'm thankful to the Japanese community for showing how to push things further. How to be true to one's self and one's hobby. I'm trying to learn from them, even trying to do the same myself, I'm however purposely stalled out, ghosted, or just not allowed to do things for whatever reason. I'll keep trying to make use of WIDAR by making sense of it VRChat side until time is right for when Rising World is ready for it. It's possible in Java, just not in Unity. When people are ready to have their own proud possessions and materials scanned into and added into Rising World I can't wait to see them boast about it in the screenshots section. People seem needlessly reserved at times, even to a fault. I'd be happy possibly even seeing people uploading their WIDAR as blueprints in the blueprints section?

The choice is in people's hands, I'm just here trying to make everything "better" with more options. People love showing their 'Creative mode' builds, I'm here giving you more options. :)

• It's awesome that you're exploring different tools and applications for photogrammetry and 3D scanning. It's such a cool way to bring real-world objects into virtual environments like Rising World and VRChat.

I haven't personally tried Polycam, but I've heard good things about it as a 3D scanning app. It uses your smartphone camera to capture images and turn them into 3D models, which is pretty neat. Another tool you might want to check out is Smart Engines OCR. It's not a 3D scanning tool, but it does use advanced optical character recognition technology to accurately scan and extract text from documents. It's a great option if you need to digitize a lot of paper documents.

• It's awesome that you're exploring different tools and applications for photogrammetry and 3D scanning. It's such a cool way to bring real-world objects into virtual environments like Rising World and VRChat.

I haven't personally tried Polycam, but I've heard good things about it as a 3D scanning app. It uses your smartphone camera to capture images and turn them into 3D models, which is pretty neat. Another tool you might want to check out is Smart Engines OCR. It's not a 3D scanning tool, but it does use advanced optical character recognition technology to accurately scan and extract text from documents. It's a great option if you need to digitize a lot of paper documents.

Thanks for the response.

Polycam didn't quite work out for me, though WIDAR had. I want to keep using WIDAR, I however have to wait for warmer weather to do so. I can't use it indoors, only outdoors in my situation. I genuinely recommend WIDAR to even folks here in the Rising World community who love acting all high and mighty. They should give it a whirl importing their prized possessions into Rising World so they can boast about it. Coin collection, or whatever they have.

I'll take a look at Smart Engines OCR whenever I have the time. Thanks :)

• Could it be possible to use it also in Rising World as example for upcoming plants or is it not compatible?

Not sure if I understand your question.

I'll word it this way..... If you scan plants using the WIDAR app, and if it comes out complete, you can use the API to inject it into Rising World one way or another. You can already do so in Java version, it'll be made more reliable in Unity in a few months, once Red51 is ready with the update.

As for it's own plant stuff, hopefully. If you request it once API update releases you can hopefully get it functioning one way or another.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!