Weird Texture Issue

• Encountered a weird issue on the Medieval Realms server last night. Not quite sure how to explain it...basically some of the textures in my base were abnormally dark, almost black. Almost like there's no light rendering on them. This also occurred (for me) on buildings built by the server owner and other players. Others on the server did not experience the issue, nor did I when I checked it using my MacBook. I restarted Steam a few times with no change. Restarted the PC, no change. Deleted the texture cache, no change either. Restarted the PC again, and finally the buildings were back to normal. However now some of the blocks in my inventory are exhibiting this issue. I used the report feature in the console, but didn't see any confirmation message so figure it was worth mentioning here as well.

i7 9700K / 32GB / RX5700XT / 1440P / Win10Pro

For reference, the wall on the left with the torches is the bright white plastered brick/stone texture.

The block (+ the surface below it) is the light tan sandstone

This is daylight out (overcast). Floor Is the cobblestone texture.

Other players building

• Hmm... hard to tell what's causing this :wat: At first glance I would say the game runs out of VRAM, but 8 GB should be sufficient :thinking: Unfortunately the log doesn't contain any clues...

Maybe you could try to install the latest graphics driver, maybe that helps (the currently installed driver is dated April). If you still experience this issue and the materials turn black again, maybe try to change the texture quality for construction elements (select a lower texture quality for it) and see if the texture goes back to normal?

PS: When I first saw the black screenshots on Steam, I thought this was actually intentional (i.e. black painted blocks), because this actually still looks very interesting :saint:

• looking up the information on your video card, i found a number of users who play other games with similar problems, also the driver notes talk about Enhanced Sync causing black screen problems and that if you disable Enhanced Sync it might solve your problem, this could be a temporary workaround till they fix the problems with the driver, also updating the driver may solve your problem as Red51 suggested above.

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Maybe you could try to install the latest graphics driver, maybe that helps (the currently installed driver is dated April). If you still experience this issue and the materials turn black again, maybe try to change the texture quality for construction elements (select a lower texture quality for it) and see if the texture goes back to normal?

PS: When I first saw the black screenshots on Steam, I thought this was actually intentional (i.e. black painted blocks), because this actually still looks very interesting :saint:

Sadly, according to AMD that is the "latest" driver. They released a beta driver (22.10.x) in late October with optimizations for COD-MWII and a fix for Radeon Boost / variable rate shading in Dying Light II. Not sure I'm keen on running a beta driver though, nor so I mess with either of those games. I'll try the texture quality change next time I run it.

Come to think of it, I did change the quality settings back (down) to the stock very high option. I was trying to ease the load on the GPU a bit. Might be worth me looking at all that, maybe something is set weird. If I remember correctly, I had previously messed with the view distance command right after the demo came out. I think you posted about it in the Steam forums, and I was bored.

Yea, a few people made some comments on steam on those, not knowing it was an error. Definitely interesting, could use it in a different build maybe. Game looks great so far. Thanks!

• looking up the information on your video card, i found a number of users who play other games with similar problems, also the driver notes talk about Enhanced Sync causing black screen problems and that if you disable Enhanced Sync it might solve your problem, this could be a temporary workaround till they fix the problems with the driver, also updating the driver may solve your problem as Red51 suggested above.

I don't have Enhanced Sync turned on, but I know the issue you're referring to. I've known a few people who've experienced it. It's a total black (blank) screen. This isn't that, it's more like the textures on certain elements have no luminosity or lighting effects.

• I don't have Enhanced Sync turned on, but I know the issue you're referring to. I've known a few people who've experienced it. It's a total black (blank) screen. This isn't that, it's more like the textures on certain elements have no luminosity or lighting effects

some of the comments ive read also do look similar to your problem

This image is from a player with the same video card with similar problems but with another game, turning Enhanced Sync off was just a suggestion for something to try, but if its already off, then maybe try that beta driver, its worth a try at lest, unless the problem is not always there, i myself had problems with AMD drivers and in the end i changed to Nvidia due to the lack of support from AMD.

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!