Players on my server are not seeing changes I made to the game

• I modified the SQL file definitions.db with new scenery and new recipes but it appears that people playing on the server are not seeing the changes I made.

I think Rising World is looking at definitions.db on their local computer instead of the modified definitions.db that is saved on the server.

At this stage people on my server cannot build a campfire or build torches as they cannot see the new recipe on the server needed to build those items.

Modded Rising World 2024

Now running : 100 Player Game Server With My New Modded Rising World

• From my understanding, the recipe has been changed in the game for other players....just they do not see the new graphic as shown in the below image showing that they need to have grass to build a camp fire... all they are seeing is the image for the default game which is stones and logs only...not grass.....

Modded Rising World 2024

• From my understanding, the recipe has been changed in the game for other players....just they do not see the new graphic as shown in the below image showing that they need to have grass to build a camp fire... all they are seeing is the image for the default game which is stones and logs only...not grass.....

recipes changed via the database will work fine in single player. in multiplayer they get their recipes from the local database(on their machine) this is then checked by the server when they craft it.

quot from red "

When changing crafting recipes, it's a bit tricky: the actual crafting is handled serverside (so the server checks the recipe and verifies that the client has all required ingredients etc), however, the crafting UI is shown clientside (obviously). The client also checks if all ingredients are in inventory before sending a crafting request to the server (this is done to prevent the client from spamming the server with useless requests).

"

• Unfortunately the game does not sync the definitions between the server and the client. If you modify the definitions.db on a multiplayer server, it works properly for everything that's solely handled by the server (e.g. things like npc health, biome related things, spawn definitions etc), but if a particular definition is used clientside, the client won't see the serverside modifications (e.g. things like asset path of an item, animation or move speed of an npc etc).

When it comes to the crafting recipes, it's a bit tricky, as mentioned by james1bow : basically it's handled by the server (so if the client sends a craft-packet to the server, the server checks if the client has all ingredients in his inventory - based on the serverside definitions of course). However, the crafting UI is shown clientside, so it uses the clientside definitions. Before sending a craft-packet to the server, the client also first checks if the player has all ingredients (based on the clientside definitions), to prevent the player from sending useless requests to the server.

So if you modify the crafting recipes on your server, it won't really work, because the client wouldn't even send the craft-packet to the server if you don't have the required ingredients (based on the clientside definitions). If the ingredients are in your inventory (so the client sends the craft packet), the server will perform the ingredient-check too (but based on his serverside definitions) and remove the ingredients from the client inventory.

However, it's our intention to change that, so once a client joins a server, the serverside definitions will be synced with the client ;) This hasn't been added yet because there wasn't much demand for it in the past, but we're trying to get this ready with one of the next updates.

Until then, you can only change settings which are only used serverside, e.g. everything that's related to world generation (biomes, spawns etc), damage dealt by items or npcs, food/consumption values (health/hunger restore) etc.

• If I understand it correctly, what I can do is change the recipes on the server to the default vanilla ones so people on the server will have the original crafting system.

For me, I can have the modified recipes on my computer so when I go online to my server I will see the modified recipes because they are being read from my local computer.

Modded Rising World 2024

• For me, I can have the modified recipes on my computer so when I go online to my server I will see the modified recipes because they are being read from my local computer.

No, if you only have the modified recipes clientside, that wouldn't work: The crafting UI would then show the modified recipes (and at first glance it will look like it's working), but the server wouldn't allow you to craft the item (if the serverside database isn't modified).

So right now there is no proper way to modify crafting recipes in multiplayer. It would require both the client and server to use a modified definitions.db, but that's not feasible (because clients will then run into problems if they join another, unmodified server). Modifying crafting recipes only works in singleplayer atm...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!