What's the reason for having different tree logs?

• I wonder why there are different logs in this game.

Agreed I'm in early game, but for now I haven't seen any difference in them. All the building blocks take arbitrary types of wood you don't even have to have certain wood for certain textures.

I guess it's due to something planed later but I couln't find the goal where it is heading right now.

Does anyone know what the plan behind this is?

Thanks

• sapier

Changed the title of the thread from “What's the reason for having different logs?” to “What's the reason for having different tree logs?”.
  • The one part of the roadmap is that there will be persistent items, meaning you can place down a log, tool, food, etc. and it'll stay were you placed it. I'm guessing part of it is because of this and the other part is it would just look weird if every log no matter the tree type all looked the same.

• Well, isn´t that obvious? Because at some point we need i.e. oak wood to produce oak wood blocks. This isn´t a feature yet but it will be. Most likely when other stuff is available in game that allows travelling more easily. It would be a bit annoying for survival players if they see a wonderful texture in their building menu but can´t select it because they are in arctic regions while they need wood from the savanna, with only few means to get it.

• Well, isn´t that obvious?

Well just looking at the game itself it might seem to be obvious. Yet I did look at the plugin API a little bit. Asuming the API is somehow representing the game strukture the "blocks" and recipes don't really hint towards that. Granted it is always possible that part of the api was just a "quick & dirty" hack to get it going. Which could very much be true as the API doesn't have a way to define recips from there. Guess once that feature would be implemented a cleanup in this area of the API is mandatory.

It would be a bit annoying for survival players

I don't really get that point, isn't it common in other games to just have a "creative mode" for those who just want to do building?

• Well just looking at the game itself it might seem to be obvious. Yet I did look at the plugin API a little bit. Asuming the API is somehow representing the game strukture the "blocks" and recipes don't really hint towards that. Granted it is always possible that part of the api was just a "quick & dirty" hack to get it going. Which could very much be true as the API doesn't have a way to define recips from there. Guess once that feature would be implemented a cleanup in this area of the API is mandatory.

I don't really get that point, isn't it common in other games to just have a "creative mode" for those who just want to do building?

the game is in EA, as you also stated. That means several features aren´t available yet or limited. The real reasons why there are no detailled recipes yet need to be explained by Red51 but i imagine that part of that is because we are lacking of the material yet (more trees, other rock types, etc.). And another is that it is currently very difficult and lengthy to move to other biomes. It is unrealistic to go to all available biomes with just a row boat or a motor boat, not knowing where the biome is, having no map, etc. Yes, you can go exploring but to build with all the materials you would need to go hunting for material for ages just to find sufficicent trees for the build you want to do.

More updates will introduce vehicles, ships, map, trains, etc. That will make it a lot easier. And also more natural textures of course. For some textures there isn´t any material implemented yet. Neither are detailled recipes. So it makes sense to connect the introduction of these detailled recipes to the introduction of the other mentioned stuff.

For now these are just placeholders. Or do you think to produce 1 glass pane you will need 1 sheet of metal? ;)

Give it some more time. What you see now is just the current state, not the final outcome.

• Don't get me wrong I am fully aware this isn't completed yet thus a lot of things are subject to change. I just had the assumption that while stuff isn't complete still is built in way that it might hint towards the direction the deveopler is planing the stuff to go.

I guess no one would design stuff in a way contrary what is planned to be added knowingly. Granted there are the cases where assumptions turn to be wrong later or the direction changes because an idea looking great turns out to be not that great later.

Based on those assumptions I got curious because the tree log style and crafting and block scheme didn't suite together very well ... at least to me ;-)

So for now to me it seems the direction is that at some point in future you will need the corresponding wood type to create the building blocks yet there most likely will be some generic changes required to make that possible, so it's not very likely to be there soon.

btw I personally wouldn't care if there's a way to travel in EA. I guess most ppl wouldn't if there's a creative mode ;-) ... well and there's the portals plugin too so I have a feeling there are enough ppl out there "fixing" the shortcomings of it until they are done in game ;-)

• btw I personally wouldn't care if there's a way to travel in EA. I guess most ppl wouldn't if there's a creative mode ;-) ... well and there's the portals plugin too so I have a feeling there are enough ppl out there "fixing" the shortcomings of it until they are done in game ;-)

those that play survival want to play survival, not creative. i don´t think it would be a viable solution for this part of the community to simply tell them "fly to where your ressources are". EA is a game, not a tech demo after all :)

but that´s a matter of personal taste of course. while, as room6675 said above, playing on a server means to follow the rules of the server admin/owner. if they don´t allow flying you would be restricted to what you find locally or in the near surrounding.

same for plugins btw.

and for the portal plugin you would need to be at least once at the place you want to go. maybe really an idea - you need to travel far off just once and can come back any time. but to me it feels a bit like cheating. maybe there will be a solution for that in the future.

generally i think red will add recipes with one big update. there are a lot of these waiting to be introduced.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!