Game is laggy despite good FPS

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.1 (2024-09-02)
  • THIS THREAD WAS MOVED FROM THE NEWS SECTION

That's weird... maybe send a report about that. To do that, open the console (key ~ or `) and type "report" (without quot. marks). Maybe also add some additional information (like "good fps but still runs bad" or something like that)... perhaps there is something else going on causing the stutter :thinking:

Done.

I sincerely hope this is just some setting in the engine somewhere that got "bumped" on accident, because no other game I have "ignores" the FPS setting like this. And there's no way that this game, running at 1280x720 on this hardware with literally every special effect setting bottomed or turned off, is maxing at 60FPS and stuttering. :verysad:

• I sincerely hope this is just some setting in the engine somewhere that got "bumped" on accident, because no other game I have "ignores" the FPS setting like this. And there's no way that this game, running at 1280x720 on this hardware with literally every special effect setting bottomed or turned off, is maxing at 60FPS and stuttering. :verysad:

Thanks for the report! Everything looks fine so far, so unfortunately it's hard to tell what's causing this :thinking: If the previous version was working fine, it could be related to the engine version (we've updated to 2023.1 with this update).

The fps counter ingame just displays the fps value reported by Unity (and in terms of performance, there is absolutely no reason to not get better fps on such good hardware)...

However, there are a few things you could try to narrow down the issue: First try to set the Displaymode in the graphics settings to "Fullscreen Windowed" and see if this has an impact on this issue. If that doesn't help, you could try to run the game on Vulkan - to do that, add this launch option in Steam (rightclick on RW in your Steam lib -> Properties -> Launch Options at the bottom): -force-vulkan

Does the issue still persist? If it persists, I would recommend to remove that launch option again (because DX11 usually provides better performance in Unity).

Do you use multiple monitors btw?

• I've tried every display mode available. All identical in terms of performance.
    • Vulkan, if anything, made it worse.
    • Right now I don't have any secondary display connected.
  • I've moved your posts to a separate topic to make troubleshooting a bit easier :)

I'm sorry that changing the displaymode or graphics API didn't help... maybe you could try to update the graphics driver (the one that's currently installed is dated August 2023), maybe that helps?

Does it make a difference if you reduce the resolution? Maybe you could also try to enable VSync, just to see if this has an impact on the perceived framerate?

• I've just reinstalled (clean install) the latest driver – no change.

I've tried every resolution on the list, highest to lowest – they're all the same.

I've tried VSync on and off and I've tried messing with the GSync settings in the NVidia control panel (fullscreen only vs fullscreen and windowed) – no combination yields a "smooth" display.

• xynix

try disabling volumetric clouds or set to low to see if it helps

also did you change the FOV setting? default is 80

also if you have any overclocks running, try temporarily disabling those overclocks and see if it helps. I had an OC on my RAM that was causing a problem (OC higher than XMP) ... using XMP instead resolved my issue.

just some thoughts

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Thanks for your 2nd report! Does the 2nd computer use the same monitor?

I now had the chance to try to reproduce the issue on a 120Hz monitor (3440x1440), but everything seems to work as intended there... the game definitely ran smoother on 120 fps compared to 60 fps. My eyes are used to 60Hz though, but another person who is used to 120Hz also confirmed that the game ran smoother with 120 fps :thinking:

Probably it's hard to distinguish, but is it "just" the player movement that feels like 60 fps, or also movements in the scene/environment (e.g wind on trees/grass etc)? If it's mostly the player movement, is there a difference between keyboard input or mouse input (for example, try to enable flying mode and move forward without using the mouse at all - does it still feel laggy)?

Is it constantly laggy, or does it only stutter sporadically? If you enter the console command toggleworldgeneration (which temporarily turns off world generation), does it still feel laggy?

• Hi Red. I saw this thread about lagging/freezing and hope to add my own report.

I tried again to go visit Saruman's Middle Earth town today and my PC froze up so bad that I had to Ctl/Alt/Del to get to the Task Mgr so I could kill the game and get out.

It happened yesterday also before the fix patch. Was hoping that would fix the problem. I used to be able to go to his town very easily before the update. No problem at all, even after he added a giant gold tower and bridge.

But now after the update, and patch, I can't go into his town. I can get close... outside his docking area and outer structures, but once I enter the town entrance I start lagging till I am completely locked up.

The new update changed everything. SarumanKebab says he also has lagging problems sometimes and has to restart his game.

I can play totally fine at my Castlerock realm (claim) areas, across the water from Middle Earth town. No lagging at all so far.

I spoke with Red (Green Valleys) and he said to share this info with you.

BTW, A BIG THANK YOU for finally making female characters. I can truly enjoy playing the game roleplaying as a female, which I am IRL. =D Look forward to improvements to the hair and face and maybe some clothes in the future.

• So... getting close up on some grass... the grass waving in the wind animation feels very much the reported framerate. The camera movements, however, do not.

Almost every other game I have (across different engines) produces smooth camera movements both in panning and in WASD. For some reason, the pan/move in this game feels like the polling/updating Hz value for the player head camera is way too low, or something like that...

• Hi Red. I saw this thread about lagging/freezing and hope to add my own report.

I tried again to go visit Saruman's Middle Earth town today and my PC froze up so bad that I had to Ctl/Alt/Del to get to the Task Mgr so I could kill the game and get out.

Hey, sorry for my late response, I missed your post unfortunately :/

I think this isn't related to the issue xynix was experiencing (where the fps were actually good, but the game felt like the fps were never above 60 fps).

However, do you still experience the performance issues? There was an issue in the initial update which caused sudden massive performance issues if there were several sailing boats in close proximity - but that issue is supposed to be fixed with one of the recent hotfixes.

If you still experience these performance issues though, maybe you could send us a report? To do that, open the console (once you run into these lags) by pressing ~ or ` and type report. Maybe add some additional information then like "performance issues after doing xy" or something like that, and send the report :)

So... getting close up on some grass... the grass waving in the wind animation feels very much the reported framerate. The camera movements, however, do not.

Thanks for the feedback! Your hint that only the camera/player movement feels laggy (while the reported framerate is actually correct) put me on the right track and I think I've found the culprit: Since the last update, the game syncs the camera movement with the phyiscs update tick (which runs at a fixed rate, roughly equal to 50 fps). Originally this was done to sync the camera movement with moving physical objects, like the boats - but due to a bug this always affected the camera, even during regular movement. It wasn't obvious on a 60 hz screen unfortunately (that's why this bug remained undetected)...

Is it correct that this issue didn't happen before the 0.7.5 update?

We will fix that with the next update :) Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!