Single multi-biome world or several single-biome worlds? Your opinion?

• Just musing, no clear idea yet. My experience with RW is still limited and then I thought to seek the advice of the more experienced.

1) The current biome implementation includes all biomes in each world, just go on enough in a direction and you cross each of them. This is nice to add variety to a single world and, in perspective, may allow for future relationships between different settlements in different biomes (desert settlements exporting dates and importing tomatoes...). OTOH, it possibly limits the possibility to expand a given civilisation which applies to a specific biome. It also seems to me biomes might have quite different sizes (not sure, but I got this impression by the time it takes to cross each one) and some seem smaller.

2) Would a single-biome world make sense? (for instance, the biome choice could be an option of the world creation dlg box)

3) Or would it make more sense to keep the multi-biome context, but making each bigger?

What do you think? Thanks, M.

• Terrain is generated using an algorithm and a seed number so the same world generates each time. Code-wise, a modifier such as a filter for biomes or make them larger should not be hard. It wouldn't be different I'd imagine from the modifiers such as world type or ore quantity and whatever future ones will come but my question is, why limit the biomes? The biomes are massive to begin with so there's plenty of space to do whatever you want.

• Code-wise, a modifier such as a filter for biomes or make them larger should not be hard. It wouldn't be different I'd imagine from the modifiers such as world type or ore quantity and whatever future ones will come but my question is, why limit the biomes? The biomes are massive to begin with so there's plenty of space to do whatever you want.

I know that biomes keep repeating once you go on enough. But this is not the same as having a larger, contiguous area of a given biome.

About they being big, it occurred to me to see the biome changing after only a few chunks, in particularl for 'green' biomes (grass, meadows, pine forest, mixed forest, ...). Maybe I have only been unlucky and just crossed the corners (but I took care to go along X and Z axes), maybe they might indeed be small occasionally.

As currently the servers are not very crowded, this is not an issue now. But once the servers will start to be more frequented (we all hope this will happen, don't we?), it might become difficult to fit a multi-player settlement in those smallish areas.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. M.

• You mean only certain biomes in a world set ?

Yes, while exploring a new world, I find that some biomes go on for a looong while, other are smaller and occasionally some span only a few chunks. I cannot link specifically to biome types, as I do not have a statistically relevant base, but I noticed this quite clearly. Next time, I'll try to get some solid figures.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!