To Cave or Not To Cave?

• Okay, I'm a few hours in and got my head around what I'm doing (had my trial run so to speak).

I'm ready to start a fresh world and really get stuck in.

But I can't decide whether or not to have caves :(

For me they're ugly death-traps (I'm a wuss, got Bears turned off lol) and I really don't like them messing up my beautiful tera-formed landscapes :P.

But I don't want to limit my options by going no caves and then later down the line be kicking myself for not having them.

I have looked at dev comments and can't figure out if they are saying, yes non-caves worlds will have just as much ore available, or not.

Anyone got this figured out and can help a newbie player with advice?

• Hmm... I was looking for a witty response to the Hamlet reference and then I found a Shakespeare cave insted:

Anyways, I always leave caves turned on but I like to live underground like a dwarf and they cut down on mining when you're digging deep to find gold. :) Just use plenty of torches to light a path so you can figure out how to get back to the surface.

Also, when water comes, I'll definately be making some underground lakes if they do not yet generate naturally with the water update.

• UGH! As a mild claustrophobic couldn't get past more than a few minutes of that video; those people are nuts!

Thanks for the advice Foxfire, I guess I'll just have to build walls around the cave openings so they don't offend my sense of "order" - always more than one way to skin a cat :P

• If you could skin a tiger, then you'd have a fabulous Rising World coat to wear! ;-p

I've done the diagonal shaft before to find gold. It's really not that bad especially with ore spawns being higher with cave generation turned off. Plus, you have a ton of stone when you're all done! However, those shafts get claustrophobic as well. :(

• if i recall correctly caves do not effect ore spawning rates. back in the day it was much easier to find ore in caves as opposed to mining because of spawn rates and how vast and large caves are. with caves being as wide and with alot of branching thier is alot of surface area and the chance of the cave intersecting or touching an ore deposit is quite high. awhile back though the ore spawn rates were increased so finding ore by tunneling minecraft style is quite effective. so basically i don't think having caves turned off will affect ore spawn rates. ( back in the day actually having caves turned off increased the spawn rate i believe, but that was before the more recent spawn rate update).

• I'm pretty sure that in the current implementation of the game that the ore spawn rate is higher when cave generation is turned off. This way you stand a better chance of finding ores. Ofcourse, you can still manipulate the ore spawn rate ontop of that when initially generating the world.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!