how the world changes

• Yeah, but there are even older things like record players and even vacuum tubes. I don't think it is sad than these young children do not know whan these things are. I know than when I wan that age, my parents had a huge record player they called a consol. I remember specifically spending hours trying to figure out what it did.

Build, create, shoot and slash your way to victory; SIMCUBE the future of gaming is now.

Edited once, last by Paul88 ().

• People are born and adopt to the generation they live in.What was beautiful and unique to us is not the same for everyone. New gen kids love cellphone watches.I personally dont.When they grow up,their kids will have a chip in their brains and will be able to make a call just by thinking about it.Then,their parents will say: I used to have a cellphone watch.It was so cool. Why dont you like that? !!

Some people like antiques and history though.Thats what keeps history and art alive,increases its value and gives us the opportunity to look back and be fascinated about old builds.!!

• That video has some scenes from the "Kids react to.." video series. I personally think that the producers of that show intentionally select children who have zero intuition. If I've never used something before but was naturally curious about how it worked, I'd either hunt for the instruction manual or ask for permission to take it apart. This is how I learned.

I was born in the early 80s and I've seen a LOT of older technology phased out as we transitioned into the digital era. I'm fortunate to have witnessed such amazing advances. I grew up with a record player, a VCR, and a late 80s Macintosh computer with internal hard drive. Yet, I still loved playing around with older stuff like 8-tracks, radio tubes, and computers that loaded software off of cassette tape. Progression of technology has always been fascinating to me. I recently saw some videos of how teletype machines (way before my time) were used as terminals for the old Altair computer. That just blew my mind how that was the best that a computer geek back then could hope to get their hands on in the 1970s.

Its nostalgic to think about that stuff but I certainly would not want to go back to that. I certainly don't miss having to wait several minutes for those old computers to load software, or having to continuously swap floppy disks because memory upgrades and hard drives cost as much as a used car.

People who miss this old stuff are the same as those old people who think we need to go back to early 1900s because it was a "simpler time". People like that tend to look at the past through rose-colored glasses.

I resisted buying a smart phone for a while but now I am happy that I did. I don't want to have a smart watch because I like the idea of keeping my phone on silent, in my pocket or in a bag. I have no reason to constantly check it and I am fighting urges to constantly surf (is that term even used anymore?) the Internet from my phone because its always on. Yet for some reason I'm very much on board whenever the brain implants come!

• Oh, hmmm... welll.... :/ Those of you who feel of kind of another time because born in the '80s could be my sons/daughters... I was born in 1954, you do the calculation...

In the first decade of my like there was not even the TV! Well, TV in Italy was born the same year I was born, but it took years to become common, for quite a while you could only find it in bars or public places and it was definitely expensive, so families might easily have other priorities. My last surviving TV set broke down two years ago and my wife and I found unnecessary to replace it: it is kind of become useless and/or obsolete. So, I myself witnessed the whole life cycle, from birth to death, of a thing which marked and shaped a whole era, as TV did.

My formation is in Humanities (Latin Palaeography, if you are curious), but I spent most of my working years (I am now kind of retired) as a network admin / programmer / software engineer and, again, I have witnessed things coming hailed as the "definitive" answer to this or that question to disappear after a while.

I personally feel little yearning for phone books or other stuff described in the OP video. And, no, early 1900s were not "simpler times" at all. I have not experienced them directly (I am not THAT old!), but my parents and grand parents described those times at length and they were tough times, if anything.

But speaking of the past in general, each of us has his own tastes and may like or dislike the general appearance of this or that time or of this or that object (personally. I am fond of late XVII - early XVIII century style, music, architecture, ... and definitely dislike most of the '60s and '70s stuff).

What I learned ( !?) however is that each time was mostly a self-consistent and coherent system; even conflicts and struggles were consistent with the context. And things which we may find absurd, incomprehensible or ridicule today, in most cases made perfect sense at their own time and in general they were the best possible solution at that time. And also vice versa... (as a caveat to us ageing peoples...)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!