• im thinking a world map would be an awsome addition to the game. you can bring it up and zoom in on it to find savannas,snow biomes and such and even set a waypoint to your home base that you can use as a guide home with your compass.also be good to find villages and such if they're added :)

• An official map feature is planned but I do not know when it will be added. It is likely possible to create a mod to add one now with the new API that we have. Not sure yet about showing unexplored areas but it would be possible to view the explored areas on a map

To my knowledge, nobody is working on a mod for this. I considered doing it but there are not enough hours in the day and my job has me really feeling burned out most of the time. :\

• I tried to write a minimap-Plugin. But my problem was that it isn't possible to draw on own components or something like this. So I had to use a GuiLabel for every block. That slowed down the game extremely (for map sizes about 100x100 you had to wait around 10seconds until the game stopped stucking after you changed your block position). One more problem was that it isn't possible to access the game textures...

• If there's no way to paint an image into the gui then I guess no map yet. I hope that feature is added to the API soon. Using a GUILabel for each individual X,Z coordinate sounds painfully inefficient :(

I was hoping to simply generate bitmap with size dependant on zoom level. We don't really need the textures themselves. Querying the texture ID and terrain height of each chunk could be used to generate a color with a certain tint/shade based on the surface height value.. A static table of color codes can represent all textures. It's all in the ChunkLOD class. the bitmap can be re-drawn on each PlayerEntersChunkEvent

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!