So how to install steam on linux to make the new server run now ?

• Hi, I'm now running the current server on Linux Mint. I installed it from the zip file.

Next Wednesday when the new server will be out, what do I need to do to install it so it runs on steam? ?(

My Linux is a 32bit version not 64bit so hope it will still work the same as it was before.

thanks for the info's

• no, from what I understood we will have to install steam on our servers and login anonymously on steam in order to have the steam server to run on a pc as a dedicated server.

On the current version I have that dedicated server running under linux, but I don't have steam running on this server, that's the missing part that I need to install in order to run the next version of the server.

• If the Steam client is installed, you can find the dedicated server in your Steam lib under "Tools" ;)

Otherwise you have to use SteamCMD to download the server: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

There is no need to have Steam installed (SteamCMD is just a small command line tool which allows downloading files through Steam). To install the server (appid: 339010) you have to execute this command: ./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +app_update 339010 +quit

• Sounds great! If there is any trouble downloading or running the new server, just let us know ;)

Hi @red51, the download part of the Steamcmd was ok no problem in that, but when I try now to start the server I get this error:

Rising World - 0.9.2.2 - Dedicated Server
    Linux 4.13.0-32-generic Java 1.8.0_151 (i386) Memory: 1908 MB
    2018/02/15 01:46 AM

Start context...
    Steam - Extract file: libsteam_api.so 370330 bytes available ...successful
    Steam - Extract file: libsteamworks4j.so 256928 bytes available ...successful
    Steam - Extract file: libsteamworks4j-server.so 76320 bytes available ...successful
    Steam - Extract file: libsteamworks4j-encryptedappticket.so 10248 bytes available ...successful
    2018/02/15 01:46 AM server.Main
    SEVERE: Rising World - 0.9.2.2 - Dedicated Server
    2018/02/15 01:46 AM
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/steamworks4j/1.7.1-SNAPSHOT/libsteam_api.so: /tmp/steamworks4j/1.7.1-SNAPSHOT/libsteam_api.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1824)
    at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:809)
    at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1086)
    at com.codedisaster.steamworks.SteamSharedLibraryLoader.loadLibrary(SteamSharedLibraryLoader.java:124)
    at com.codedisaster.steamworks.SteamAPI.loadLibraries(SteamAPI.java:24)
    at com.codedisaster.steamworks.SteamGameServerAPI.loadLibraries(SteamGameServerAPI.java:25)
    at server.i.a(SourceFile:48)
    at server.Main.b(SourceFile:344)
    at server.Main.initApplication(SourceFile:261)
    at commons.JIWApplication.initialize(SourceFile:236)
    at com.jme3.system.NullContext.initInThread(NullContext.java:87)
    at com.jme3.system.NullContext.run(NullContext.java:130)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2018/02/15 01:46 AM server.Main
    SEVERE: Unable to shutdown the server properly (null)

• I'm still just getting 'waiting for developer.valvesoftware.com..'. before it times out.

The Steam page is still offline apparently || It's a pity, but in the meantime, there are some other pages which also go into detail about the SteamCMD tool, for example: https://danielgibbs.co.uk/2014/02/steamcmd/

Hi @red51, the download part of the Steamcmd was ok no problem in that, but when I try now to start the server I get this error:

We just updated the server, there was still an issue with the linux depot, but we also updated the start script. Please download the update and see if you still run into this issue ;)

• We just updated the server, there was still an issue with the linux depot, but we also updated the start script. Please download the update and see if you still run into this issue ;)

nope here is the process and the result
    BTW my linux is a 32bit one not 64bit in case the lib's are 64bit only

yst@syst-desktop ~/.steam/steamcmd $ ./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +app_update 339010 -validate +quit
    Redirecting stderr to '/home/syst/.steam/logs/stderr.txt'
    [ 0%] Checking for available updates...
    [----] Verifying installation...
    Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
    -- type 'quit' to exit --
    Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
    Waiting for user info...OK
    Update state (0x3) reconfiguring, progress: 0,00 (0 / 0)
    Update state (0x3) reconfiguring, progress: 0,00 (0 / 0)
    Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 67,60 (2547242 / 3768036)
    Success! App '339010' fully installed.
    CWorkThreadPool::~CWorkThreadPool: work processing queue not empty: 2 items discarded.
    CWorkThreadPool::~CWorkThreadPool: work processing queue not empty: 3 items discarded.
    syst@syst-desktop ~/.steam/steamcmd $ cd ..
    syst@syst-desktop ~/.steam $ cd SteamApps
    syst@syst-desktop ~/.steam/SteamApps $ cd common
    syst@syst-desktop ~/.steam/SteamApps/common $ cd RisingWorldDedicatedServer
    syst@syst-desktop ~/.steam/SteamApps/common/RisingWorldDedicatedServer $ ./linux_startscript.sh start
    Rising World - 0.9.2.2 - Dedicated Server
    2018/02/15 02:46 AM

Start context...
    OpenJDK Server VM warning: You have loaded library /tmp/steamworks4j/1.7.1-SNAPSHOT/libsteam_api.so which might have disabled stack guard. The VM will try to fix the stack guard now.
    It's highly recommended that you fix the library with 'execstack -c <libfile>', or link it with '-z noexecstack'.
    2018/02/15 02:46 AM server.Main
    SEVERE: Rising World - 0.9.2.2 - Dedicated Server
    2018/02/15 02:46 AM
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/steamworks4j/1.7.1-SNAPSHOT/libsteam_api.so: /tmp/steamworks4j/1.7.1-SNAPSHOT/libsteam_api.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1824)
    at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:809)
    at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1086)
    at com.codedisaster.steamworks.SteamSharedLibraryLoader.loadLibrary(SteamSharedLibraryLoader.java:124)
    at com.codedisaster.steamworks.SteamAPI.loadLibraries(SteamAPI.java:24)
    at com.codedisaster.steamworks.SteamGameServerAPI.loadLibraries(SteamGameServerAPI.java:25)
    at server.i.a(SourceFile:48)
    at server.Main.b(SourceFile:344)
    at server.Main.initApplication(SourceFile:261)
    at commons.JIWApplication.initialize(SourceFile:236)
    at com.jme3.system.NullContext.initInThread(NullContext.java:87)
    at com.jme3.system.NullContext.run(NullContext.java:130)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2018/02/15 02:46 AM server.Main
    SEVERE: Unable to shutdown the server properly (null)
    syst@syst-desktop ~/.steam/SteamApps/common/RisingWorldDedicatedServer $

• Hmm... I'm sorry but I just found out that 32 bit Linux isn't supported anymore =O The Steam API wrapper we're using dropped support for 32 bit Linux recently... unfortunately we cannot switch to an older version. I'm so sorry that I didn't realize that before, otherwise I would have informed you about that issue :/

• Hmm... I'm sorry but I just found out that 32 bit Linux isn't supported anymore =O The Steam API wrapper we're using dropped support for 32 bit Linux recently... unfortunately we cannot switch to an older version. I'm so sorry that I didn't realize that before, otherwise I would have informed you about that issue :/

ohhhh <X;( ... there goes my server that as of yet I could run fine with up to 10 people online and having fun. Guess I'll be staying at the previous version for a long time.

• EDIT: Duh just noticed the pinned topic about steamCMD will use that

I've installed steamCMD:

[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
    [----] Verifying installation...
    Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
    -- type 'quit' to exit --
    Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
    Waiting for user info...OK
    Success! App '339010' already up to date.
    CWorkThreadPool::~CWorkThreadPool: work processing queue not empty: 2 items discarded.

But where can I find the new startscript? I must have missed it somewhere but I've read all related threads about how the linux start script had problems, but now it's fixed etc.. I just can't find the damn thing :(

• ohhhh <X;( ... there goes my server that as of yet I could run fine with up to 10 people online and having fun. Guess I'll be staying at the previous version for a long time.

I'm really sorry about that :/ Unfortuantely there is nothing we can do about it... the only things that would work are: 1. switch back to an old Steam API version, but this requires us to remove the P2P multiplayer feature from the game and the server or 2. move authentication back to our hive and discard Steam...
    32 bit OS were never officially supported but it's still a pity... Is there a chance you could upgrade to 64 bit Linux?

But where can I find the new startscript? I must have missed it somewhere but I've read all related threads about how the linux start script had problems, but now it's fixed etc.. I just can't find the damn thing

The linux start scripts ("linux_startscript.sh" and "linux_screen.sh") should be in the server folder ;) Did you set the force_install_dir dir? Otherwise SteamCMD may download the server files in a different folder

• The linux start scripts ("linux_startscript.sh" and "linux_screen.sh") should be in the server folder ;) Did you set the force_install_dir dir? Otherwise SteamCMD may download the server files in a different folder

Cheers red all good. My problem was I wanted to keep everything in /rw (my old server directory) so extracted to there and ended up with a mess of old and new directories and files - stupid really as it's normally me hammering into people to use a decent directory structure.

After reverting to a clean image I dumped everything in /rw/rwserver - which is perfect because I now have the new one under the old one so if things ever get changed back I'll be ready :)

Server showing as online, world correctly converted, scripts and plugins all working. I just made it more difficult for myself than I had to heh.

• I'm really sorry about that :/ Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it... the only things that would work are: 1. switch back to an old Steam API version, but this requires us to remove the P2P multiplayer feature from the game and the server or 2. move authentication back to our hive and discard Steam...32 bit OS were never officially supported but it's still a pity... Is there a chance you could upgrade to 64 bit Linux?

Hi @red51, well it worked fine until the steam validation thing now. I had around 10 players that used my server no problems. SO the game is not the problem, the problem is the new steam integration. as to go to 64bit Linux, the hardware doesn't support it and also I don't have the founds to buy new HW just for the 64bit stuff. Guess I'll just play SP from now on. If you ever have a chance to make the server work again with 32bit that would be great, as there is not really necessary for the game to request that much just for the server, lots of games are runnign in 32bit on the server side no problems, as is yours if it wasn't for this new Steam stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!