Devs, where will monsters spawn?

• Doesn't that depend on the monster?
    Could be cave monsters, mountain monsters, night monsters, etc.

Personally, instead of "monsters" I'd rather have some hostile critters that are more down to earth- like a bears, tigers, etc. (Or is that the kind of 'monster' you were talking about?)

• haha yeah I know you would prefer just predators. But they are working on monsters so.. looks like it will be part of the game. Mind you, world generation which doesn't include monsters should be possible. Call it Realistic Survival mode or something. And the one with monsters is Fantasy Survival mode...

What I was asking is, if monsters will only spawn in dungeons/ruins, or will they be found everywhere even on the surface along with deer etc.. I personally would like them to have their own areas. I would prefer the surface (aside from ruins or camps maybe) be just a natural world for animals and predators.

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• I asked if we can have ghost monsters in the game with it now being looked into or added onto the list. I'm curious if those can spawn at night in thick forest patches by calculating density in trees or something. If the game has swamps or arctic tundras then I'd expect them to pop up there, especially when graves are built. Moving grave crosses by merging them into grave stones then making graveyards, Towns game style, would work.

As for the other mobs......Seeing as how we don't have zombies I do wonder where they'll spawn. The Zombie Dog though....I guess that would spawn just outside of our view distance while wandering into it? If not outside, then just at the edge of it. Flying mobs are a must also so people need to also look up into the sky.

• Some kind of ghost would be good. I've suggested in another thread that abandoned mines should have undead miners, or living goblins. Since NPC villages are most likely happening, maybe those villages could have cemeteries. At night, depending on how many graves there are, a certain amount of ghosts appear out of the graves and start to wander the area going further and further from the village until day comes when they just disappear. An interesting mechanic would be if a villager dies, a new grave appears and one more ghosts spawns at night from then on. Clever peeps could risk themselves to try finding villages at night this way hehe

I'm not sure how many villages there will be, but I assume you won't find one in every valley... so ghosts will be somewhat rare, and thus should be really difficult to deal with. Requiring some special powder from some dried and ground plant be added to weapons or something like that. Anyways, I am loopy and need sleep lol

I posted one thread that listed a bunch of biome types I thought would be great, and along with that predators and prey for each (not a complete list..) and some monsters for each if I recall correctly. Here it is. Nobody responded to it so I didn't go further with it lol. But you may like it there ArcticuKitsu. Looking at it now, it was more about creating an ecosystem in each biome. Instead of monsters, prey and predators found everywhere etc.. they were in specific biomes along with the flora being different, another reason to explore....

Zombie dog should be the pet of some undead monster IMO. Which maybe, with much effort, we could make it our pet?

• I'm so glad you're around because that's so much better than what I was thinking last night. Villages with natural graveyards would be the more natural way of doing that. Villagers taking and burying dead bodies during the day while at night ghosts would pop up while creating fog. That would really freak me and others out actually. Imagine someone getting all creative by placing gravestones hidden in a custom school building of any nationality (for this one, Japanese) to recreate the "test of courage" seen and done in anime. Not sure if they actually do it, just that people could also take advantage of it for creative adventure maps heh.

Your idea of them dispersing at dawn would be interesting. Same with when villagers die they would risk spawning ghosts at night. Them wondering outwards to then puff away during daybreak would be an interesting sight to see. I wonder if it's possible to give them a percentage of aggression so they would attack you at random.

Now going to check out your biome suggestions.

Zombie dogs as another mob's pet. I can see that. If they're in the hell world then I'll rarely go there. I'll stick top-side until I can get a group going to get whatever is valuable down there. I'm not going there unless I can get a nice reward from it.

• Yeah a foggy effect at night in the cemetery would be creepy for sure. Especially if it slowly covered the whole valley at times so you could find yourself totally surrounded by it and have a hard time finding your way out. :D Would love that.

About ghosts move outwards from the cemetery, well I just thought it would be foolish if they just floated around the cemetery.. they would be much more easy to avoid then. Part of the point for me is to make them dangerous and unpredictable to a degree. A percentage of aggression should be an easy equation. Once aggro'd.. they only aggressively attack say X%. Otherwise you have to get too close or attack to get a response. Since well.. they are wandering, looking for their earthly bodies.

Dispersing at dawn.. yeah I don't want to copy MC or anything, just ghosts from a graveyard seem like they would only come out at night. But I suppose it would not matter to a ghost what time of day it is...

Have you gone down to hell? ;) I'm sure there will be rewards for venturing in the depths.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!