Posts by Geneo

Droppable torches may be an interesting thing to add, but there's some things to consider:
    * I question dropping a torch down a hole to see how deep it is. To me, if the hole is really dark, it's too deep to fall into.
    * It's a waste of a good torch, and the hole is only lit for a few seconds. After a few feet, would you really be able to see any ores, etc. down there?
    * If you want to see how deep a hole goes, or what's down there, I prefer my Rope idea.
    * I'd like to think that while I'm holding it, it's in a torch holder, or in inventory, that it stays lit forever. I'd hate to have to replace them periodically in caves, houses, etc.
    * If you put it down, it may only stay lit for a few minutes... but it (should) set on fire anything flammable it's put down on, like grass, wood blocks, etc. (Hey, torches aren't just for light- don't forget that they're an open flame too.)

Flares would be cool, even though it could take some expensive crafting and they're a one-time use thing, IF they stay lit for an extended period of time (15 minutes?), they put out more light than torches, and they work underwater(!)

I hate zombies. I refuse to even look at any game with "zombie" in the title. So boring, so overdone. I'm not even wild about the planned "zombie dogs".

Ores would be a welcome addition. Can't wait. Panning might be ok, once rivers and/or streams are added. Sifting through the dirt, sand, gravel, or stones along the banks seems like the hard way to do it though. I envision being able to craft a "sluice" or even some kind of gold-sorting machine. (http://www.goldrushtradingpost.com/sluice_boxes) Water runs through it, and you put dirt, sand, or stones in one end, it sorts out the gold for you (if any) out the other. Gem stones aren't "heavy" like gold is, so sorting them out by using gravity wouldn't work. However, a finished (cut) gemstone could be crafted from the raw ore.

As for a 'currency', I used to play a MC-like game that had a full economy. But the game has to control it, not a player. The balancing of all the items in the game (all items, both raw and crafted), both selling and purchase prices for each, is an absolute booger. In the end, when it's all said and done, the Barter System will always win out anyway. You can craft gold into "coins", but how much a coin is "worth" depends on the person you're trading with and what he perceives an item is worth (remember the ole law of supply and demand).
    And what's a coin worth if you're playing single-player? They're not worth anything... unless you can buy something... from a game-run shop... and we're right back to the economy thing again.

Finally, fishing. Worms is a nice idea, but there's other lures besides worms. Natural baits are fine, but being able to craft a few artificial lures seems logical too if you didn't want to do some digging. (I don't think we need to complicate things by adding 'effectiveness' between baits).

That's good to hear.
    It was really hard, but I refrained from using the words "cheat" or "cheating" in my original post.... but that's what being able to switch modes is to me. As I see it, what's the point of survival if you can switch modes and get all of anything any time you want?

I know this topic is gonna kick off a firestorm, but I'm that kind of guy, and it's eventually gonna come up anyway so might as well get it over with.

I don't think it's "right" that we're able to switch between Creative and Survival, even though the 'command' screen. Are you really playing 'Survival' if you can pop into Creative whenever you want and get all the weapons, items, armor, or even fly way from monsters... without penalty?

I know some of you are gonna say "But I want to play the way I want to play! I want to do whatever I want!!" Really? You're going with that? Or "It should be my choice. It should be up to me." I don't think it should be up to you. In virtually every game you have to play within the constraints of that game. I don't think RW should be any different.

If 'survival' is your thing, play survival.
    If 'creative' and building is your thing, play creative.
    There's nothing wrong with having a world for each mode.

But I don't think it's 'fair' to play, or have the ability, to play both modes (on the same world), especially whenever you want. When you know you can switch, it changes how you play the game, and changes your mindset.

That's my thoughts.
    What's yours?

?
    A 'tamper' is used to compress already flat ground, so that you can put something on top (ie, bricks or "pavers") without worrying about any settling. We already have a Rake that smooths out ground (and rocks).
    But I see what you're eluding to- I think you'd like a tool that flattens out a broader area (like to build a house on, etc.). I could go for that.

(That title is miss leading, BTW).

That list sounds straight out of MC. I want to play a different, unique game.
    Don't know about 'pushing' animals. I picture it like trying to push a rope. Herding sounds better. "Creative" luring sounds even better, salt licks, etc.
    (Maybe a herding dog, but please, no "wheat". Been there, done that.)

When cutting down a real tree, don't you cut a notch in one side in the direction you want the tree to fall, then chop on the other? Wonder if that could be implemented in the game? (Course, I wonder if we even need to....)

No problem. Pardon the pun, but we'll survive.
    I'm sure you have a notebook full of ideas- both yours and ours.
    We appreciate your hard work (and we're gonna talk it up, right guys?)

Merry Christmas!

Interesting.
    At this point, we don't know which way the tree is going to fall though.
    * If we knew, we'd always stand of the way before starting chopping.
    * If falling trees didn't hurt us, what difference would the direction it fell matter?

You can craft planks and sticks from 'logs'. You don't need bushes. (I never cut them down.... but I could be missing the obvious).

1) Actually a 'climbing rope'.
    We have 2 problems: 1) falling down holes, actually vertical caves, to our death, and 2) going down steep sides of mountains or cliffs. Right now there's no way to explore those 'holes' unless we fly down there.
    I think it would be handy to have a climbing rope so we could lower ourselves down those holes (and climb back up), find other cave branches down there, (future) ores, etc. Of course, it shouldn't be 'infinite' in length- maybe limited to 50 to 200 blocks long. Want to go further down- need another rope. You'd need to attach rope #2 in another spot... or maybe you could even tie them together.
    You attach the end to a placed solid block that doesn't have any other blocks around it, or tree (think "tying it off" around a block or tree).
    How do you craft one? Depends on what is added to the game. Vines, hemp, braided cloth, who knows?
    Just an idea for the future.....

2) Logs.
    Right now we chop down a tree, chop on it again and that breaks it into short logs.
    I'm thinking it would be handy to instead chop all the branches and leaves off, then chop logs off one at a time to shorten it the length we want, and then pick up the tree. Yea, it would take a bit longer but we could use the trees to make log cabins, stockade fences, regular fences, corrals, all sorts of tree-log related stuff (sorry, if using RW terminology is confusing you). I just think since we have a perfectly good tree lying there, let's put it to use. Shame you can't do anything with it except chop it up. (Yet, anyway).

Don't zip lines only work one way?

* I remember the (abandoned) Cube World and their "Glider". Pretty cool traversing broad expanses of terrain by gliding.... till reality hit and it dawned on you that you had to climb up before you could launch and glide down.
    * Maybe they'll be redone, but right now the mountains in RW are steep. Too steep for me to climb for sure (though maybe you could dig steps in the sides to get to the top). I'm just thinking that in the time it takes you to climb to the top of a mountain, then climb down from the second one, you could walk (or sprint) between the two.

I applaud your 'thinking out of the box' and that a zipline would sure have a "Wheeee!" factor. To carry it a step further, you could even set up a chain of ziplines between a series of mountains to traverse (abet one-way) quite a distance.
    Maybe in the future when we get electricity and motors we could have something like ski lifts, which can go up or down (though not as fast) cause they don't depend on gravity to work. Or cable cars, which can haul stuff. Or....sorry, just blew my own mind. :)

Currency? Shops? Improved villager AI?
    Sounds interesting... but ambitious. I'd hate to be the developer or mod-maker.

Obviously this is for multiplayer (which I don't do... at all).
    How is this suppose to work in single player? I just see it as the NPC's are in trouble if they're depending on me to fill some quota. I'm gonna be too busy surviving and providing for my own needs.

I'm not against the "job" thing- it would add a interesting dynamic to the game. But you're advocating "trade with the village people". Trade for what? I understand they're posting their requirements, but what about your requirements? What do you trade for? What if you don't want what they're offering? Do you get to pick and choose among various items? Sounds like you need an "economy", as in, here's the items a villager has for trade, and here's the cost each in wheat (or whatever) for each. Or, instead of one villager, do you check with different ones till you (hopefully) find the one willing to trade for the item that you want. I'm not against the idea, but I think this can get complicated pretty fast.

I think this would make a great mod for those that are into this sorta thing, but added to the game for everybody? Don't know about that. Sorry, as I said before, I tend to look at things "differently", in this case from both sides, and just need a little more explanation of how this is suppose to work besides just giving 'jobs' to everyone.

Just my thoughts, ok?
    I played (note past tense) another MC-like game. They had a contest for texture packs and 16 were picked to be included with the game.
    They were horrid. None of them made the game look any better or improved it in any way.

Personally, the game looks amazing and I seriously doubt anybody could make it look better.