Posts by shortybsd

Just a note on using any plugin to add timestamps. If you use RCON, depending how the timestamp is added by the plugin, the chat text will not show up in RCON.

When calling

Java
    event.setCancelled(true);

in PlayerChatEvent will cancel the event totally in rcon from chat even being registered at all. It doesn't matter if you add date or whatever, any modification at all will not show up. In the server logs and game chat itself everything shows up fine. I did a simple test with no date prefixed at the start like the following:

Java
    public void onPlayerChatEvent(PlayerChatEvent event){
    event.setCancelled(true);
    Player player = event.getPlayer();
    player.sendTextMessage(event.getPlayerChatName()+": "+event.getChatMessage());
    }

rcon ignores it entirely.

Have you tried this method?

Hmm... this might be a little bit tricky with the Steam version :| I'm afraid it doesn't work properly, since the Steam version is delivered with an own JVM. We are looking for a solution for that!
    As a workaround, you could use the dedicated server instead (set server_hive_verification in the server.properties to false, and connect to it to "localhost")

A link to the original post that could help you set up the correct JDK outside of Steam for the server.

Any script that has user commands I write always will say "unknown command" after typing them, which in return executes the command and performs it correctly. Every single example of other people's scripts do the same thing. Is there any work around on this where I can either block chat temporary after command is typed so the server doesn't return unknown command?

The whole "you have to restart the game" thing is void if we're able to attach a remote debugger to the JVM running Rising World.?

That could be avoided totally if they made a /reload feature for LUA scripts. World of Warcraft a huge example, I never have to restart my client with mod changes, I simply /reload. Runes of Magic, same clause. MTA-GTA San Andreas, no need to restart client, most of these guys have a way to reload a plugin/mod. I guess I'll be brushing up on Java programming and forcing myself to use it more regularly. Many thanks for the replies and pointers!

Sad decision, LUA is fast and does not need to be compiled for on the fly coding. To be honest I'm not a big fan of Java, although good games came out of it. With LUA I can implement something super quick and makes debugging super easy. With Java it will be a nightmare as well as a memory hog. I really hope you guys thought more of this before making a final decision.