Posts by ZaCormyr

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

Crazy, how did you manage to place all those glass panes? I tried last night and could barely see it when I had it on the ground, and when trying to place it in the window frame I couldn't see it at all! So I gave up doing windows further then just placing frames lol

This is true. There is a bunch of other stuff I would want to see in the game before this. But if it happened at some point it would be a plus IMO.

I could get behind npc villages. No generating on mountains!! haha Would be interesting if you had to earn their trust. After all, it will be a hostile world. So maybe you can save them from some monster which is raiding their village, without them asking for you to do it since initially they would not trust you... resulting in them liking you, more then before at least. Or you come across a village which is clearly starving, so bring them food, give them seeds and help them grow their own crops.

Maybe you end up pissing them off.. and from that point on if you come to close to their village they will come after you with their pitchforks. :D

I think it would be great to have livestock in a pen which can be breed to supply yourself / group with meat, milk, leather etc.. But I want to see limits on this so it isn't abused to the point where it's causing server lag lol. Maybe you can only breed so many of one type of animal, until some are killed off or die. But also limiting how many animals total can be kept in one area at a time would be necessary.

Also, it should be fairly difficult to get wild animals back to your pens. So I would be against a leash for anything other than maybe an already tamed dog, possibly an already tamed horse. To make it a challenge, for the others it would make sense to me that they would need to be herded back to your pens. This means you would have to be creative with your fence designs in order to make it easier on yourself. Think funnel.

What do you guys think of each biome being it's own ecosystem as a way to populate it? Based on what makes sense of course. Some animals might be found in multiple biomes, but you wouldn't find a scorpion in the arctic right? For animals, I'm staying with realistic in regards to types of species. Fantasy comes with the monsters. Just my take on it...

Biome and Steppe Ecosystem Ideas (I've added monster and vegetation ideas):

Alpine (area in mountains between snow and temperate forest)
    Predators – grizzly, badger, lynx, golden eagle
    Prey – rabbit, mountain goat, pheasant, song birds, sheep
    Monsters – werewolf
    Usable vegetation etc. – moss, berries, roots, flowers

Arctic (borders tundra and is the tops of high mountains, above alpine)
    Predators – wolves, polar bear, arctic fox, snow owl
    Prey – arctic hare, seals, salmon, bison
    Monsters - abominable snowman (yeti)
    Usable vegetation etc. – umm.. snow? haha

Coastal Rainforest (borders temperate forest, wetland, prairie, swamp)
    Predators – black bear, cougar, raccoon, eagle, owl,
    Prey – salmon, shellfish, sea otter, skunk, song birds, mosquito, firefly
    Monsters - sasquatch
    Usable vegetation etc. - berries, moss, roots, shell, fruit, mushrooms, flowers, birch tree

Desert (borders savannah and tropical, possibly prairies)
    Predator – snake, scorpion, spider
    Prey – ants, vulture, lizard, beetle
    Monsters - lizardmen
    Usable vegetation etc. - cactus, shrubs

Jungle (borders tropical, savannah, swamp)
    Predators – spider, snake, panther, tiger
    Prey – poisonous tree frog, pig, monkey, parrots, centepede, fire ant
    Monsters - snakemen
    Usable vegetation etc. - vines, rubber tree, fruit, flowers, mushrooms

Prairies or Grasslands (borders temperate forest, wetlands, coastal rainforest, possibly desert)
    Predators – wolves, red fox, snake
    Prey – cow, horse, rabbits, moles, bison, grasshopper, sheep, pheasant
    Monsters - satyr
    Usable vegetation etc. - grains, flowers, berries

Savannah (borders desert, jungle, tropical)
    Predators – lion, hippo, rhino, hyena, crocodile
    Prey – meerkats, vulture, gazelle, termite, water buffalo, mosquito, black fly, ostrich
    Monsters – minotaur
    Usable vegetation etc. - reeds, vegetables, flowers, cactus

Swamp (borders jungle, tropical, coastal rainforest)
    Predators – poisonous water snake, anaconda, alligator, panther
    Prey – mosquito, catfish, dragonfly, toads, midges (no-see-ums), dragonfly, turtle
    Monsters – swamp thing
    Usable vegetation etc. - vines, moss, reeds

Temperate Forest (borders alpine, prairie, coastal rainforest, tundra, wetlands)
    Predators – cougar, raccoon, black bear, raven, owl
    Prey – deer, rabbit, song birds, trout, squirrel, mosquito, horsefly, crawfish
    Monsters – witch
    Usable vegetation etc. - flowers, vegetables, berries, fruits, moss, birch tree

Tropical (borders savannah, jungle, swamp, desert)
    Predators – jaguar, alligator, komodo dragon, snake
    Prey – parrot, turtle, tropical fish, lizard, pig, monkey
    Monster – undead pirate
    Usable vegetation etc. - fruit, vines, vegetables, berries

Tundra (borders temperate forest, arctic)
    Predators – wolves, grizzly, white owl, lynx
    Prey – caribou, hare, bison, lemming, mosquito, midges (no-see-ums), pheasant
    Monsters - wraith
    Usable vegetation etc. - berries, moss

Wetlands (borders temperate forest, prairie, coastal rainforest)
    Predators – Water snake, badger, raccoon, black bear
    Prey – Beaver, moose, blue heron, frogs, mosquito, dragonfly, trout, firefly, duck
    Monsters – fairy
    Usable vegetation etc. - reeds, vegetables,

This is just some brainstorming. I don't pretend this is written in stone or it's the best idea ever. It certainly isn't a complete list. But it would be great IMHO. No, I don't expect this to be in the next update. Personally, I would prefer to see this kind of diversity instead of say, perfect models and animations for just a few animals. There's a reason mods like Mo
    Creatures for MC are so popular.

This is one of my favourite parts of being involved in gaming; ideas for games in alpha etc.. if you haven't noticed already. :D Please give your opinions! So forgive me if I throw a lot of ideas out there. I won't cry.. much.. if you don't like them hehe

Multiple monsters could be found in one biome, I just came up with one each because well.. I gotta be done with this! lol

Yeah I know things aren't set in stone at this point. But I thought they may have a basic outline regarding the amount of ingredients to be had in the world. So I thought a yes or no could be given. I gave specific examples just to make sure what I was talking about was clear. Given what I've seen, I will assume they want content and lots of it. So yay!

What they say about roads is: "Coming soon: a system where you can create real roads with bends and everything else that comes with them. You will be able to lay footpaths and cobbled streets as well as asphalt roads, among others."

There has been talk of server hosts being able to determine the level of tech on the server. From the most basic of tech to modern / futuristic. You want roads to fit the lore, then build them that way. Should be up to each player, or server (if it's being limited..).

Edit: what they plan can be found here: https://www.rising-world.net/en/page/more/features.html

So, add rubber trees in jungle biomes. If it's possible to farm them, then only in jungle biome. Which means you would have a valuable resource possibly far from your base which you would need to protect. Rubber could be used in many things like vehicle tires, a ball, garden hose, tool handles, garbage bin, durable storage containers, liners and seals to make things water or air tight... the list goes on...

Maybe different road types work better in different situations? Asphalt best in general but sucks in snow biome, dirt / gravel road is better for snow. Dirt / gravel road would obviously suck in rainforest or jungle since they would turn to mud. And of course, no road at all is worst case scenario except in some biomes where it wouldn't matter much. Like tundra or savannah.

Just me, but this sounds like a few dozen games already out there.
    You can add all the monsters you want, just please give us a "Peaceful" option. Some of us don't want to play "that kind" of game.

Have a look through this to see what they are planning. https://www.rising-world.net/en/page/more/features.html

I would agree, a peaceful option should be available. And yeah, lots of features already in other games. It is near impossible to make a game these days which is 100% unique. Especially something like this. But this game has great potential as I see it and would be great with the ideas I mentioned, along with what they are already planning. Maybe having full on raids from monster factions is some type of hardcore mode. And of course variations of that from hardcore mode down to peaceful. Works for me!

Regarding coming features. Baking and Cooking: "It sounds strange, but there will be an opportunity to bake and cook to your heart’s content. Various kitchen utensils will be available for preparing different meals."

I assume this means some sort of crop growing and livestock keeping are or will be in the works. Will this be basic or in-depth? Such as, how many types of crops are planned? For baking, will there be only wheat to make flour? Or different types of flours to grind such as amaranth or spelt? Quinoa? What about oats for several different items to bake / cook? Just curious how deep this will go so I can make realistic suggestions or toss them in the garbage.. lol

Thanks
    Edit: No answer means there is no answer at this point? Or they don't want to release that much info just yet? Throw me a bone here.. I can assume there will be loads and loads of crops and thus cooking and baking ingredients, I mean look at how many types of stone block there is!! I guess I will assume the answer is yes? haha

Just read the planned features and I love what I see. Mix of modern / futuristic and fantasy. Or either, depending on what server host wants. This can do more then just dictate the tech being used / developed by players. It could also determine what monsters are in the world. And not just lone monsters found wandering around.

I suggest factions of monsters based on server type, fantasy or modern / futuristic. (Sorry if this has been mentioned, I didn't see it in my searches.)

Fantasy – bands of goblins, antmen, flying gargoyles.

Modern – androids, aliens, hovering AI sentries

Stuff like that... but choose what types of monsters so they fit with lower and higher techs for modern and fantasy. Meaning, Goblins might be more primitive then magic using lizardmen. Basic melee robot more primitive then a hovering laser shooting AI sentry. Get a full range...

You can find them out in the world, discover their hideout / lair / base, but also they will come and attack your base / town in some way. Break in and steal stuff. Bust your fence and kill some of your livestock, the rest escape and are found wandering around getting eaten by wolves. Maybe they discover your railway and vandalize it or lay traps for the player to discover later. Maybe they manage to destroy a whole building in a town.

Imagine being totally disctracted with building with your buddies when suddenly your village gets attacked and you have to scramble to put up some defense before too much damage has been done. Or you come back from exploring or mining to find your house has been ransacked, or is in process of being ransacked. Or you're driving along your road and get ambushed.

This is great for giving players reasons to develop techs. Defensive traps, stronger fencing and doors, barred windows, electric alarms, automated turrets, motion sensors, rolling log traps... tons of stuff could be done.

Also, the monster factions technology should improve. Maybe based on the previous attacks success? Successful attack means no tech improvement or very little. Failed attack means new techs are used in the next attack. You beat the goblins down when they just have clubs, next time they show up with crossbows. That type of thing.

This will keep the game fresh, keep players from getting too comfortable with their builds and getting bored. Yes people like what they make, but if there is risk then the value goes up. And it provides a chance to make changes to your build in order to improve it. And like I mentioned, provides more reasons to work on new tech. Maybe even obtain otherwise unattainable tech from monsters.

I can already hear peeps yelling over teamspeak for their buddies to come help them fend off an attack hehe

Oh the panic and disappointment that could be! But more importantly, fun and excitement!

Sorry if I've messed this up in some way. I don't get much time on the computer during the day. My 3 year old makes sure of that hehe

Fire. Well, I would like to see some variation. Basic fire can be lit several ways. Hand drill, bow drill, fire plough, fire piston, and of course flint and steel. I suppose matches would be next then a lighter like a zippo? Random and rare lightning strike causing bit of a forest fire which you can take advantage of if you are careful? Makes it risky to build in the forest...

And using certain fuels would help. Birch bark and dry moss would increase your chances of successful fire starting.

After the basic campfire, maybe a cast iron stove? Electric next? Will there be electricity?

Just some ideas..

Edit: I've now seen the planned features. yay for electricity etc..!

Fencing should be a given IMO, even if they don't add animal husbandry. Which they should. And fencing could be used to not only keep animals in, but keep animals out... predators and animals that would eat your crops like deer and rabbits. Maybe some chicken wire which can be used along with fencing (for the rabbits) but also be used to make chicken coop etc.. Of course chicken wire wouldn't be good enough for a cow. Maybe, in order to keep pigs for any length of time, you would need to sink boards into the ground along with your fencing so they can dig under. Just more stuff to craft and use... content..