Posts by yahwho

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

Ahh I think I have worked it out!

. . .

This was strange. On the placement settings, Up and Down were mapped to PgUp and PgDn, I clicked on Up/Down options respectively and clicked on the physical PgUp PgDn keys on my keyboard but instead of staying the same as I expected they came up as KEY_PRIOR and KEY_NEXT (as show on the right screengrab). I saved this and went back into the game -this still didn't work?! I then went back into settings and remapped them to the Home and End keys (show on left screengrab). . . now this did work!

I suspect this may be some kind of bug relating to a keystroke listener and differences in keyboard designs.

For informational purposes I'm using a Qwerty Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard.

Further edit: OK it worked once, and now it's not working again even with the new mappings :(

Idiot alert! You have to place the blueprint first AND then move it up and down before confirming placement! :P

Edit

Hi Minotorious - yeah I had tried that but it doesn't seem to work.

Tried + - keys, tried using ctrl with the page up page down, ctrl and + - keys, tried all sorts of "normal" combinations but it doesn't seem to work :huh:

Hi guys and gals!

I've made a blueprint for a ground floor. I'm trying to add this blueprint on top of the existing blocks to make a 1st floor.

Is there any special key-press I can use to raise it up? It seems to want to just place the new blocks directly on the old blocks? ?(

I shall wait to see if the Friday update address it. Otherwise I'll *try* to flatten the ground underneath first as suggested. I mean every good castle needs a moat?

Oh and the enter key "trick".

The thanks guys!

I'll update this list as and when I think of things 8) Bold writing is new writing

Survival Mode

- Make campfires like the the smelter so that they require fuelling
    - Backpacks you can make to extend your inventory size

Creative Mode

- Sound effect blocks, have a toggle key to show hide these special blocks that act as anchor points for sound effects such as creaking and dripping water, etc.

- A better tool for water. The current system is neigh impossible to use on large areas that weave around (like a large moat). Having a dragable paint tool for it would be handy - keeping the surface level of the water at the same height.

Objects

- Portcullis
    - Gargoyles
    - Arched Doors
    - Coloured Glass (thinking stained window creation)

Miscellaneous

- Combine objects so that when someone has created something with - say planks - they can blueprint the component items as a single entity (i.e. when hit with a pickaxes later on the whole object is destroyed.)
    - Candles (could make from animal fats) would be awesome for mining
    - More Graphics Options (such as max view distance - for those "I know my rig can handle more" moments)

Sound Effects

- When you put meat on the fire a nice sizzling sound effect would be cool

PvP

- I would like to create a PvP server, but, the difficulty therein is that there is no mechanism in place to really support this. What would be good would be if on the server stats the was a integer counter for kills and deaths. This would enable players to have some kind of goal (such as being number one on the list).[/s][/sub]

Yes I can imagine it is pretty frustrating waiting for new content - especially since it's been announced.

With experience in writing Java code myself and with (limited) experience with OpenGL I can only imagine the uphill struggle to write all this code is with a small team. Makes my simple graphical programs look like childs play.

The update should probably not have been announced until it was ready. But then again this is the world of indy developers without the crux of shareholders and boards who have no concept of the actual work itself. Which itself is quite refreshing.

As a total newcomer to this game - start of this weekend - I have to say I'm pretty stoked to hear that there's an update planned soon! I can see some have been waiting eagerly for a while for this.

What would be great is if the water system is improved. I'm having real problems trying to make a castle moat. The water ends up in big blocks and completely uneven (I've resorted to removing it for now). Seems fine for making small ponds, but if you want anything bigger it just seems too problematic.

it's impossible but u can use plnks&beams

Ah though as much - my first castle I used beams to make the arrow slits smaller. Just hoped there was a way to do this with bricks and not wood.

CHEERS!!! 8o

Thanks Moonwillow!

No way about rats! I ended up using a poster and a PNG graphic of one. I've been using this spawn commands list some-commands-to-spawn-objects and I did I Ctrl+F but couldn't find any rats. Guessing that list is a little outdated. . .

I've actually found a map using the seed "Australia" - it's got a real potential. Beautiful harbour location, flat lands but a little hilly, nice forest too. I'm going to take my first build as a learning curve and this second one is going to be the "serious" one.

This game is awesome :)

OK so this is my first ever go at anything like this, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Alas though I'm going to have to retire this project and move onto a new one as I want to make it even more realistic and that just isn't possible with my first builds location (I've just read up about map seeds - how very cool!).

The current location up on a mountain just doesn't allow me to make certain things; a moat - which every good castle needs, farming land, a nearby forest for wood, exterior curtain wall, etc.

Things that I would love to see this game have are; NPCs, more animals (like rats for my dungeon - please please please), sound effect objects (like sticking a special block somewhere and if you are near it you can hear certain audio effects like dripping water, creaking), mountable weapons (thinking armoury room), a well for water, oh the list goes on!

Anyways, here's what I've knocked up! Comments (incl. criticisms are welcome).

Just want to say keep up the good work to the devs! This game is brilliant!

The building is so easy to use and feels really intuitive.

And the ability to mine and manipulate the ground is fantastic!

I've spent all weekend building a castle - much to the missus' approval (I'm surprised to say) and it's by no means finished - such plans! :D

One thing I would love to see in this game is some NPC characters I could spawn.

My castle is looking fantastic - just feels a little empty without any souls moving around it.

Yahwho