Posts by paulevs

At this moment we have a flame with only one color in the game - orange. What if it will be possible to change flame color? If I remember correctly there were plans to add dye system into the game, probably some sort of dye dust can be used to colorize flames? Or some special item, probably temporary.

There are several benefits of colored flames. For example you can make good looking fantasy builds (with interesting/magic atmosphere), or use torches with different colors as markers for different things.

Example of RL colored flames

1024px-Coloured_flames_of_methanol_solutions_of_metal_salts_and_compounds.jpg

And another bug - black terrain on loading screen :)

Edit: same happens on other screens too

Also another bug - when I loaded survival world after creative where I was 5000+ units above ground I get survival with low gravity... Which resulted with broken leg

You have to change the gear in order to drive (similar to how it worked in the Java version). The current gear is shown in the lower right corner of the screen. Use Q to shift down and E to shift up ;)

Thank you, time for water drift :D

Another small thing: looks like water uses only vertical depth at this moment, so if water will be directly in front of you it will look... interesting. It is also dependent on angle that you are looking at and your height relative to water. I guess this is a limitation of current water fog rendering, and I hope it will be enhanced in the future :)

our original intention was to add diving goggles which would remove this effect ^^

This is a good survival-friendly approach, but what about creative players? Probably it is possible to add a console command, same as noclip

Thank you for the new update :)

Just a small bug report - if you will place boat paddle on kit you will crash the game (I already send report). Another small bug is that boat kit will ignore surface normal and will be always placed horizontally (like on screen), after boat will be finished it will fly away into the sky due to collisions.

I also didn't understand how boat controls work (tested on RIB), it just didn't move (but engine sound changed)

unknown.png

Edit: a small question, is it possible to disable underwater blur?

You can start with JAVA version of the game.

It is probably not developed heavily anymore, but it is still a good game and the only option till unity version is ready. Translation for it would be great.

I'm not sure that Java version have support for translations, all existing ones were made as patches, while Unity version has JSON translations.

Java version will be not developed anymore, it will become legacy version when Unity will be finished, so there is no reason to introduce large code changes made specially for translations and provide these translations for it. All development should be focused on Unity as it will completely replace Java during, probably, half of a year.

But I can agree that translations can be started even now :). Data that is required to be translated can be updated on each large game update and merged with already translated files. This functional is provided by translation services (as mentioned above), and it allows translate games that are in active development. Updates for translations can be a small patches published after 1-2 weeks of game releases. I think there will be enough volunteers to completely translate the game on some languages and update translations during development

Textures on most elements are world-aligned to allow these elements be combined together into any complex shapes without texture seams. However, there are elements with partially fixed UVs, for example cylinders: their texture will be rotated together with element.

So, probably the fastest solution is just add another cuboid element with same fixed texture as cylinder together with already existing element.

Alternative solution: I'm not sure, but it is probably possible to use one bit in element flag to mark texture world-aligned or fixed. If this is so this will be even better solution as in that case any element can have both fixed and world-aligned texture

The other way would be to provide the actual (3D) chunk data

I hope that it will be easier as in Java version :). I tried to modify Java worldgen and quickly found that it is somewhere between impossible and very hard: there were many problems beginning from impossibility to mark chunk updated for client or send an update packet up to large holes between chunks that cannot be fixed even by built-in function

each world part consists of 512x512 blocks

So, worldgen will manipulate with large areas (like regions in Minecraft/Minetest) instead of individual chunks, right? And are these blocks terrain voxels similar to Java? What is their scale comparing to world? (Looks like they are somewhere between 0.5 and 2 meters, but its hard to tell)

Unfortuantely we're still unsure about how to expose cave and dungeon generation this way

In modern Minecraft there is an interesting system where you can edit world density function (with datapacks), other things like terrain generation and population are on game core side. Probably if it will be possible send density function to engine this will solve problem (for both caves and complex terrain shape like, for example, floating islands)

I can agree that plants and objects in biomes require different distribution (like groups for corals and cactuses), but screenshots posted in Trello are prototypes or even concepts, so they will change before actual release.

I also hope that we will get some API for worldgen, in that case it will be possible to redesign biomes to more realistic or fantasy looking style, and add your own custom plants and objects into biomes. Personally I want to change caves and ocean biomes and add different fantasy plants to them :)

Being able to place torches on walls is indeed planned, but we're still unsure about whether torches should be always placeable, or if the player has to place "torch mounts" first (similar to how it worked in the Java version) :thinking: This is the reason why torches cannot be placed on walls yet.

"Torch mounts" was a very cool feature that added more details into the game and made possible to grab torch from the wall when you need it. For me it is one of the small enhancements that greatly highlights Rising World from other survival games, it will be a shame if it will be changed to "minecraft-like" torch placing

Good day, the new Unity version will get a new water with good physics. My question is: will it be possible to build underwater structures that contains air inside and allows to observe underwater? If I remember correctly collisions between water and construction elements will be not implemented in first version with water, but, probably, in future it will be great if it will be possible to build underwater base with ability to see underwater life

40c9c264076c812b1fdb735eaa3e877a.jpg

Some people mentioned that official discord will take a lot of time from game development, but from my own experience Discord will not consume development time - it is possible to chose some volunteers as moderators and allow them to do most moderation work. Discord is a good place for community to discuss things, and sometimes (but not always) it works better then forums. That's why some projects have both Discord and Forum (Minetest, for example, or some large mod projects)

I think only one person has to start with it

The problem with such approach is that the owner of server has a full control over it, and if he is not one of game developers - there can be consequences. For example he can abandon server, and if server don't have moderators - it will sink in spam, fishing links and other bad things. Or he can become mad at one moment and do something really bad with server or its members. The best solution is when the owner of the server is, well, same person as the owner of the game, and moderators are his trusted people who take care of server while dev is working on the game. In that case both problems will be solved together as in case of any conflict the server owner can easily solve it, and even if one of moderators will lost his control - effectively solve it

Rising World will get enhanced plugin API for Unity version, this means that you can add your own objects with functionality of game furniture. In this case it will be possible to export your model as OBJ and then add as functional furniture into the game. Probably this can be done as one single plugin with ability to export model and convert it into in-game object without any additional actions, but I'm not sure, And this API is not published yet