Multiplayer server connection issues

• Hmm... which mac OS version do you use exactly? Maybe you could send a report when this happens. To do that, try to join a server which triggers this message, then type "report" into console and send the report.

If you try to join your own server, it could be extremely helpful if you could also send us a log of the server as well (which covers the moment you tried to join on a Mac) :)

I have 11.6 Big Sur, maybe I should try updated to Monterrey and see if that fixes it. I sent a report when trying to connect to my server. The servers that it gets the error message on the loading stops at 5%.

On my server console it doesn't even register that I tried to connect.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/EQ6a9mb

• I have 11.6 Big Sur, maybe I should try updated to Monterrey and see if that fixes it

I'm afraid that updating to Monterey would make the situation worse - there is a compatibility issue between our network library and macOS 12, so MP doesn't work on that mac version unfortunately :|

I sent a report when trying to connect to my server

Thanks for the report! Unfortuantely the log file seems to be missing... that looks like an issue in our reporting tool on macOS, this is something we have to fix :)

Could you maybe have a look if there is a log file in this folder "/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/JIW-Games/Rising World"? If there is a "Player.log" and "Player-prev.log", you could maybe send them via PM to me? :saint:

• Hmm I also get a lot of problems connecting to my local server. Pretty much all the time.

Errors are such as:

• Here's a complete log:

• I've moved the multiplayer-related discussion from this topic: Update 0.4: Crafting, Smelting and lots of new Items

yahwho I wasn't able to connect to your server either :thinking: So I'd suspect it's rather a serverside issue... according to the log, the server never responded to the connection...

It is a Windows server, isn't it? In fact I also couldn't join your server Red_Baron (which is also a Windows server?) so at this point I believe it's a specific issue affecting Windows servers :monocle:

Could you maybe send me a server log?

• I found the issue with my server, and yes mine is a Windows server. I had an extra e on a "false" on one line of the default permissions and it was preventing me from connecting. I can connect fine to my Green Valleys server now.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/EQ6a9mb

• Thanks for the log yahwho ! The server indeed doesn't even get an incoming connection from the client... this looks like a firewall issue :wat: Is there a firewall or Windows Defender running? If you whitelist the server in your firewall (or disable Windows Defender temporarily), it's necessary to restart the server so it really no longer gets blocked by Windows.

I had an extra e on a "false" on one line of the default permissions and it was preventing me from connecting

Oh, that's stange :wat: An erroneous permission file should print an error to the server console, but connecting to the server should still work :thinking: I'll take a closer look at this!

• Update.

So the server.properties is as follows:

Server_Port=3254

I start the server, pop into the Task Manager and find the PID (in this instance it was 5520)

I've opened a console and checked the port associated with the PID with `netstat -ano -p tcp | find "5520" `

I was rather surprised to see just port 3253 in a listening state

If I run the same command on the Java process the following TCP ports are in a listening state:

No wonder it's not accepting connections, it's not listening for them.. :thinking:

• Oh, actually that's to be expected ^^ The new version solely uses UDP (unlike the Java version, which uses TCP and UDP), so you won't find these ports listening for connections... Only the server port - 1 (in this case 3253) uses TCP (to respond to http queries, for the server list).

• ...but, why does it listen to port 2353 when in the config I specify 2354? red51

It's the http query port (TCP), that's always "server port - 1" (so if you specify 2354 as server port, the query port will be 2353) ;) This is currently the only TCP port the new version is using (in addition to the RCON port, which is also TCP, but that one isn't active atm), and it's only required for the server list.

• Error code 0 usually indicates that there was no response from the server - typically it's a timeout. When entering the IP with query port in the browser I can't query the server either, which indicates that the query port (if your port is 3253, the query port would be 3252) is probably blocked. Otherwise you would get a response like this (this is taken from the test server): http://94.130.179.127:4254/

However, your server did show up in the server list earlier today (when I tried to join it), so at that time, at least the query port was reachable (but IIRC it used a different port then?)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!