Just a FYI about Java vs Unity

• I've been seeing a number of discussions in different places where it is being said that the Java version is going away later this year. In a pinned post in the RW Steam Discussions this is said about that and I am including what is said about compatibility between the 2 versions.

"What happens to the Java version?

Once the new version is ready, we will move the current Java version to a separate beta branch in Steam, so it will still be available (as well as the according server files). It's our intention to provide at least bugfixes for the Java version.

What about old worlds? Will they still be compatible?

We're currently implementing a completely new world generation algorithm from scratch, unfortunately it will not be compatible with old worlds (but of course you can still play old worlds with the Java version).

However, it's our goal to keep blueprints compatible with the new version, so you can create at least blueprints of your important buildings and use them in the new version.

It will take some time until the new version is ready, so there is definitely no need to stop playing now."

• Basically this information is still accurate - once the new version becomes the "main game", the Java version will move to a separate beta branch on Steam (for the standalone, on the other hand, the Java version and new version use separate launchers anyway).

The only information that's slightly outdated is the part about blueprints: In fact blueprint support is already there and Java blueprints are compatible with the new version (at least when it comes to blocks and construction elements) ^^

• As far as I know it may be kind of difficult to go Survival in the new version as there are not yet enough game components ready. I don't think there are any NPCs (animals, bandits) yet.

that is right, its kind of pointless, but ATM the Unity version is just a demo of what it will look like and how overall the menu and building system will work, its not intended to be that advanced yet, if you are looking for a Survival type mode you are indeed better off playing the java version,

@diegomarino80gongo

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!