Look at beautiful reallife landscapes and copy them!

• I really love the new forest you create!

It looks really nice and nothing to complain

but other bioms and other areas you posted screenshots, especially the desert looks not as good as the forest and hills.

For these areas please:

Look at differerent photos of real life bioms.

Look how they are builded and build them with your rocks, terrain, surfaces and plants.

How are the slopes? Where do grow plants with which plants? How look rock formations in the different bioms? a.s.o

Create landscape pictures, which look pleasant to the eye.

Especially the desert biom screenshot you send looks nice, but there are just placed plants random on the desert. Here a plant there a plant... But maybe it is better to create plant groupes as example?

Copy these structures inside Rising World and randomize them.

Especially the "her a plant there a plant" is not that nice.

And dont make beside the forest a desert or a polar region, after the forest comes the grassland with some bushes or also called grass steppe, than a dry land with dry water riverbeds and there are just view plants which dont want much sunlight in shady areas below a huge rock and plants which dont need much water like some dry bushes and knobby little trees here and there, and finally the desert.

I want to say, please make bioms in-between the forest area and the polar regions which named tundra.

Maybe the climate zones should also right in order:

Tropical

Tropical climate zones lie near the Equator and have continually high temperatures and high precipitation. All months have average temperatures above 64 degrees F (18 degrees C), and 59 plus inches (1,499 mm) of annual rainfall is normal.

Dry

Dry or arid climate zones experience high temperatures year-round, but little annual precipitation.

Temperate

Temperate climates exist in Earth’s middle latitudes and are influenced by both the land and water that surrounds them. In these zones, wider temperature ranges are experienced throughout the year, and seasonal variations are more distinct.

Continental

Continental climates also exist in the mid-latitudes, but as the name implies, they’re generally found at the interiors of large landmasses. These zones are characterized by temperatures that swing from cold in winter to warm in summer, and moderate precipitation that occurs mostly in the warmer months or as snowstorms in the colder months.

Polar

Polar climate zones are too harsh to support vegetation. Both winters and summers are very cold, and the warmest month has an average temperature below 50 degrees F (10 degrees C).2

In later years, scientists added a sixth major climate zone—the highland climate. It includes the variable climates found in the world’s high mountain regions and plateaus.

And please make different kind of mushrooms inside the woods.

• Could you wait with your suggestions for improvment until the biomes you talk about are actually implemented? ;)

But to give you a more direct feedback:

the world is not pre-generated and its (in theory) endless. Therefore there is no equator. And as far as i understood from Red the world will be one huge ocean with islands in it. The islands will be approx 8k x 8k blocks wide but vary in size and shape. On each island will be 1 major biome with several connected sub-biomes (i.e. ice-biome including snowy forest, tundra, mountains and ice)

So don´t worry anymore about desert aside icelands ;)

• I can agree that plants and objects in biomes require different distribution (like groups for corals and cactuses), but screenshots posted in Trello are prototypes or even concepts, so they will change before actual release.

I also hope that we will get some API for worldgen, in that case it will be possible to redesign biomes to more realistic or fantasy looking style, and add your own custom plants and objects into biomes. Personally I want to change caves and ocean biomes and add different fantasy plants to them :)

• Thanks for your feedback :) As mentioned by paulevs , the screenshots on Trello do not show the final result, so a lot of things may change until these features actually become available ;)

And dont make beside the forest a desert or a polar region, after the forest comes the grassland with some bushes or also called grass steppe, than a dry land with dry water riverbeds and there are just view plants which dont want much sunlight in shady areas below a huge rock and plants which dont need much water like some dry bushes and knobby little trees here and there, and finally the desert.

I want to say, please make bioms in-between the forest area and the polar regions which named tundra.

Basically these transitions were already present in the Java version (i.e. a desert was always surrounded by savannah, polar regions were always surrounded by tundra etc), but unfortunately there was only a limited set of biomes available... we couldn't add new biomes retroactively without breaking existing worlds, so this part was basically never improved after the initial biome release :/

However, there will be a different approach in the new version: As mentioned by Avanar , there will be 1 major biome or climate zone per island. For instance, if it's a "dry climate zone", it will only spawn warm/dry biomes (e.g. desert, savannah, steppe etc). This approach also allows us to add a lot more "mini biomes" (e.g. an oasis in a desert) :D

Maybe the climate zones should also right in order:

We have been thinking about that, but we're not sure if that would be really a good approach... As Avanar mentioned, there is no real equator due to the world being infinite (in theory^^). We could, however, make sure that cold biomes always spawn north of you, while hotter/warm biomes always spawn south of you (still not accurate, but plausible at first glance) - but that would mean that you only find snowy islands if you keep travelling north (or only deserts when travelling south). So maybe it's better if biomes were distributed randomly.

I also hope that we will get some API for worldgen, in that case it will be possible to redesign biomes to more realistic or fantasy looking style, and add your own custom plants and objects into biomes. Personally I want to change caves and ocean biomes and add different fantasy plants to them :)

It will be definitely possible to hook into the world gen process ;) There will be two ways to do that: One way would be to provide "raw" data, i.e. custom (2D) heightmap and texture data per "world part" (each world part consists of 512x512 blocks). The game would then use this data to create the world and generate the chunks.

This also enables you to control vegetation distribution. Unfortuantely we're still unsure about how to expose cave and dungeon generation this way... we also don't yet have an API to add or edit biomes (although you could create "fake biomes" by manipulating the texture data - for example, you could tell the game to spawn hell stone instead of grass etc)^^

The other way would be to provide the actual (3D) chunk data. This is a bit tricky to use though, but gives you full control over the world generation (you could ofc create custom caves this way) :)

• The other way would be to provide the actual (3D) chunk data

I hope that it will be easier as in Java version :). I tried to modify Java worldgen and quickly found that it is somewhere between impossible and very hard: there were many problems beginning from impossibility to mark chunk updated for client or send an update packet up to large holes between chunks that cannot be fixed even by built-in function

each world part consists of 512x512 blocks

So, worldgen will manipulate with large areas (like regions in Minecraft/Minetest) instead of individual chunks, right? And are these blocks terrain voxels similar to Java? What is their scale comparing to world? (Looks like they are somewhere between 0.5 and 2 meters, but its hard to tell)

Unfortuantely we're still unsure about how to expose cave and dungeon generation this way

In modern Minecraft there is an interesting system where you can edit world density function (with datapacks), other things like terrain generation and population are on game core side. Probably if it will be possible send density function to engine this will solve problem (for both caves and complex terrain shape like, for example, floating islands)

• I hope that it will be easier as in Java version :) . I tried to modify Java worldgen and quickly found that it is somewhere between impossible and very hard: there were many problems beginning from impossibility to mark chunk updated for client or send an update packet up to large holes between chunks that cannot be fixed even by built-in function

Yes, it will be definitely easier :D Chunk modification was indeed a pain in the *** in the Java version, because there was no specific API available for it... the only "workaround" was to modify the internal data directly, but this neither syncs the new chunks with the clients, nor updated any cached data :/

In the new version, you will be able to hook into the chunk generation process, so you can manipulate the chunk data before it is sent to the clients or stored in the ;)

So, worldgen will manipulate with large areas (like regions in Minecraft/Minetest) instead of individual chunks, right? And are these blocks terrain voxels similar to Java? What is their scale comparing to world? (Looks like they are somewhere between 0.5 and 2 meters, but its hard to tell)

Basically yes. A world part consists of 16x16 chunks, or more precisely, provides the terrain/cave/vegetation data for the chunks in this area. One chunk in the new version is 32x64x32 blocks btw.

Terrain blocks indeed have the same size as in the Java version. It's 1x1x1 ingame units (i.e. the default size of a construction element), which is roughly 0.5 meters.

In modern Minecraft there is an interesting system where you can edit world density function (with datapacks), other things like terrain generation and population are on game core side. Probably if it will be possible send density function to engine this will solve problem (for both caves and complex terrain shape like, for example, floating islands)

I'm afraid we cannot add such a thing to RW, because we don't use 3d noise for terrain generation... In MC (which uses 3d noise), the terrain just has a total height of ~ 256 blocks, so it's sufficient to generate noise data to cover this area only (actually it even fine to generate smaller noise data and stretch it, as it still provides good results due to the block world). In RW, however, the terrain has a total height of almost up to 2000 blocks, and unfortunately we can't rely on noise data with lower resolution (this results in the world being "too smooth", which looks really awkward^^)... so probably we would have to generate full 3d noise data for the terrain, which would consume way too much memory. And if we generate the noise "on the fly" (i.e. every time a chunk is generated), this probably slows down world generation too much (on max view distance, the game generates more than 8000 chunks) :/

So unfortunately RW doesn't use any 3d noise atm which could be affected by such a modification. But caves aren't fully implemented yet, so this may change in the future...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!