• Steam or Standalone?
    Standalone
    Singleplayer or multiplayer?
    Multiplayer
    Error message?
    No
    Operating system
    Windows

Hi, I've been playing for a long time and decided to try setting up a server. The server starts and I am able to log in using the IP, but it doesn't show up in the public server list. Port 4254 is open. I logged in using my player account and also used a friend's steam account to log in with the manual IP entry, which both worked well. Which logs can I post? The IP is 98.154.126.205 and the name should come up as "Angzarr"., password protected.

Thanks!

• I have it blank, followed the other posts about that while getting it started. I can log in fine from a different router, so it's online. Just port 4254 is open, other ports open while I'm logged in with at least 1 account, but otherwise closed. Here is the server config file.

• is your server Currently running? are you hosting from home or a game host? i had ran into an issue with my isp's supplied router. the router didnt support ip looback or something and was stopping me from seeing it in the list. others outside or my ip could see it but i had to join localy.

• James: I am running from business-class internet on an old gaming PC. It is currently online still, just logged in to check. I think I'm also experiencing some ISP support issue here. I'm testing it from my home internet, so a different IP. How did you resolve it in your case? My iSP is Spectrum.

Yahwho: I didn't state this clearly, but I do have ports 4253-4259 open on the router's port forwarding and windows firewall. When I test the ports with a port checker I only see 4254 open. When I test the open ports again when I have a user account logged onto the server, I see 4254 and 4255 open.

• The server is definitely reachable for queries, so the port forwarding actually worked: http://98.154.126.205:4254/

But it looks like it doesn't show up at Steams master server (our server just grabs the server list from Steam, so if Steam can't find the server for some reason, it won't show up in the list) :|

Steam is having trouble if a server has more than one IP, for example (or if the IP that is detected by Steam is not identical with the public IP).

Could you maybe post a server log here (or send it via PM to me)? Probably it contains more information about what's going on ^^

• I do have "two different IPs", the one ending in 205 that it's connecting on now, as well as the same first three bytes ending in 206. I was given both when I set up my connection, and frankly have never understood the difference. I only pay for one static IP. Perhaps I'm missing something well-known about networking here.

This line from the log seems to indicate this IP mismatch is indeed the problem:

Code
    [STEAM] Server connected, public IP -> 98.154.126.206

Here is connection_log_4254:

• Also the other port:

• Yahwho, sorry I didn't state it clearly initially. I was trying to convey some troubleshooting nformation. I meant that just port 4254 was actually opening despite the correct range of ports being set up under port forwarding, which seemed off. Thanks!

• James: I am running from business-class internet on an old gaming PC. It is currently online still, just logged in to check. I think I'm also experiencing some ISP support issue here. I'm testing it from my home internet, so a different IP. How did you resolve it in your case? My iSP is Spectrum.

i use spectrum as well. i had to get a different router and used their modem.

• Yay, I figured it out! Turned out I need to change the external addresses to the ones ending in 206 in the port forward menu, while using the 205 address for everything else. Not sure why that worked, but it did. Looks like lots of other people had issues with this particular Spectrum modem/router combo, because of how the router provisions the static IP. Apparently this is why the router with special firmware is required for a static IP on spectrum business.

Now I need to figure out plugins. I have enabled password protection for now. I'm only seeing the Java version of Area Protection on the site, but on the Green Valleys server there seems to be new area protection. Is that released yet?

• I'm glad to hear it works now! :) This is probably a bug in Steam (we've reported it to Valve back then, but never got a response unfortunately). Steam will always try to query the server from the IP that was automatically detected by Steam (in this case the one ending in 206)...

About the Area Protection, unfortunately the Plugin API isn't ready yet for the new version, but the new version basically has a built-in Area Protection: If you go into creative mode you can enable the area tools by pressing F9 - there you can create areas, assign players to them, define default permissions etc. The core feature is the permission system though (where you can set up individual permissions per groups or per areas). This topic contains more information ;) Area Protection [New Version]

• Oh great, thanks for the explanation on that too! Also thank you to James and Yahwho! I'll set up the "spawn greeting area" now and turn off password protection when that's ready. This game has come a long way. I look forward to seeing deserts in the new version!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • ;)
    • :(
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • :verysad:
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • :crazy:
    • :lol:
    • :dizzy:
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :thinking:
    • :wacko:
    • :/
    • 8)
    • :wat:
    • :huh:
    • :silenced:
    • :wow:
    • 8|
    • :angry:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :hushed:
    • :nerd:
    • :saint:
    • :drooling:
    • :love:
    • :monocle:
    • :poo:
    • :party:
    • :drunk:
    • <3
    • :!:
    • :?:
    The maximum number of attachments: 10
    Maximum File Size: 1 MB
    Allowed extensions: 7z, asset, avi, bmp, dds, gif, jpeg, jpg, json, log, lua, mp3, mp4, ogg, pdf, permissions, png, properties, rar, txt, unitypackage, xml, zip

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!