Strange tool switching function bug

• I have had a strange bug several times now where 1 tool begins to function like a different tool - for example a pickaxe begins to function as a rake. The tool makes the different tool sound - for example hitting stone with a pickaxe makes the sound that a rake should make hitting stone, not the pick axe sound. The function is also swapped, the material actually increases in size as if I am right click raking it, rather than getting destroyed by the pick axe. I have had the same issue with a sythe as well.

Leaving and re-entering a server does not fix the issue, but closing and re-opening the game does fix it.

Sorry I don't have any better details to give!

• I have seen this as well, was fixes it is to log off then back in. I think it's some random sync bug that happens when lag occurs making tools go out of sync.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• I can confirm this happens sometimes, but unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce it yet :/ If it happens again, please send a report about this (just open the console and type "report", then add some information about this like "pickaxe suddenly functions as rake") - maybe this helps us to find out what causes this issue ;)

• red51, one of my players reported the bug twice (yesterday) using the in game report tool. Once while it was happening. her steam UID is 76561198984865500 if it helps you any

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Thanks Juggernaut ! But were the reports really about this issue (e.g. pickaxe suddenly acting as rake)? If I understood the reports correctly, the user lost his tool for no apparent reason :wat:

Yes (pickaxe/rake), happened in game while I was logged in with her. I had her log off and back in and it rectified itself. Told her to submit a report ... and to submit another report if it happened again which she said it did. I suspect it was lag related, her internet was acting up (high ping) when it happened. I also suspect it's a client side issue, I didn't notice the problem while looking at her character, switching back and forth, even trying it myself to see if I had the problem which I never have.

• I can confirm this happens sometimes, but unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce it yet :/ If it happens again, please send a report about this (just open the console and type "report", then add some information about this like "pickaxe suddenly functions as rake") - maybe this helps us to find out what causes this issue ;)

Thanks, I have just sent in a report. My steel axe is functioning as a rake.

• Thanks for the reports! Is there a specific situation when this happens? I guess this always happens after changing the tool, is that correct?

Is the only way to fix this to quit the game (or reconnect to the server)? What happens if you drop the particular item and pick it up again, is it still acting weird then?

So far it looks like it only happens in multiplayer?

• I dont know the specific situation that triggers this bug unfortunately. I definitely switch tools, but I dont know if that is what causes it. The first sign that I have the bug is usually that the tool just makes the wrong sound. I went to knock down a plant with my axe and it made the wrong sound, and lifted the dirt around it like a rake. I was not doing anything strange leading up to that.

The only way to fix is quit the game and restart, leaving and re-entering the server does not fix it! I have only observed it in multiplayer, but I only play multiplayer so cant confirm whether it happens offline. In case it is relevant, I have a high ping in the server (>250).

• Thanks for the reports! Is there a specific situation when this happens? I guess this always happens after changing the tool, is that correct?

Is the only way to fix this to quit the game (or reconnect to the server)? What happens if you drop the particular item and pick it up again, is it still acting weird then?

So far it looks like it only happens in multiplayer?

just happened again and it reminded me. So I dropped out of the server and get the message "You have been kicked from the server! Illegal state limit exceeded! Please check your internet connection and make sure you are not using modified game files"

I logged back into the server and my axe and sledgehammer are both functioning as a pickaxe.

• So I dropped out of the server and get the message "You have been kicked from the server! Illegal state limit exceeded! Please check your internet connection and make sure you are not using modified game files"

Does it always happen after getting this message? :wat: Or is it the first time you got this message?

This message basically indicates that there is a desync between the client and the server. This could be either caused by the internet connection, or by a bug in the game... :thinking:

• Does it always happen after getting this message? :wat: Or is it the first time you got this message?

This message basically indicates that there is a desync between the client and the server. This could be either caused by the internet connection, or by a bug in the game... :thinking:

Cant say for sure because I have not kept track of every time it happens. But I have had that error multiple times, and from memory it matched pretty well with the bug. I can keep track of whether it happens next time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!