Unable to log into one server

• I have not been able to log in to the Medieval Realms server for about a week now. The game loads up to 10%, and then I drop out with the message "unable to connect to server". I can connect to every other server that I try, its only with the specific server. Other players use the server without issue so the server is not completely broken, and my internet connection is fine as I connect to other servers fine.

Any idea what to try?

Thanks!

• Hmm... hard to tell what's causing this :wat: Could you maybe send a report after trying to connect to the server? To do that, just open the console and type report (please add some additional info like "couldn't connect to server") ;)

I could provide server logs red51 if that helps?

Yes, if you have a log which covers the moment JF91 tried to join the server, that would be indeed quite helpful :thumbup:

• Thanks for the report JF91 and thanks for the server log yahwho ;)

I'm glad to hear you managed to log in now :) Apparently the problem was that it took too long to download some plugin assets (images) :thinking: Unfortunately the loading screen does not take asset downloading into account, so if no world data is received within 15 seconds, it will abort (because it thinks something went wrong)... while asset downloads happen in parallel, it may cause trouble if the connection has a low throughput (e.g. due to high ping) - then the connection may still be busy downloading the assets and therefore receives no world data packets.

We will implement a change with the next update: The game will no longer close the connection then if it is still receiving asset data. We'll also increase the timeout so the game has more time to download assets. If that's not sufficient, we'll add a setting to disable the automatic inactivity timeout entirely.

But considering you were now able to join the server, you should now be able to log in more easily now (because the game caches the downloaded assets). If you still can't join the server the next time, please send another report maybe.

• hi red51, did this fix end up making it into the game? I am still having the same issue. every now and then I am able to get into the game, but then it goes back to the same issue sooner or later. reaches 10% and then cannot connect to server error message.

• so if no world data is received within 15 seconds, it will abort (because it thinks something went wrong)

We will implement a change with the next update: The game will no longer close the connection then if it is still receiving asset data.

I was able to mitigate the problem a little by setting a timer of approx. 3 seconds when spawning in my published plugin where assets are loaded. I installed it in which the assets are then loaded. This means that loading the world can continue unhindered at first.

However, if the loading process remains active until all assets have been loaded and then the player spawns when the assets are already ready, that seems to make the most sense to me.

The disadvantage of the timer trick is that if you stand on an asset with Cooleider and log out and log in, you fall into the 3sec. first through the non-existent object

Then the normal handling would be like this:

Assets are loaded in the PlayerConect, which then holds the loading screen until everything is there

And when you spawn these are already fully available

• hi red51, did this fix end up making it into the game? I am still having the same issue. every now and then I am able to get into the game, but then it goes back to the same issue sooner or later. reaches 10% and then cannot connect to server error message.

IIRC the fix already landed in the last update :thinking: It still had a limitation though: if downloading a single file takes too long (> 40 seconds), it would still result in a timeout (even though the client may still receive data) - this has been changed in the meantime, but the change isn't public yet (it will be part of the upcoming update).

However, if you still get stuck in the loading screen, do you mind sending us another report (after connecting failed)? :)

Having said that, the last update also introduced a new setting which could help in this situation: You could try to open the config.properties file in the game directory and set Game_DisableLoadingInactivity to true, then try to connect again. Do you still run into the issue then?

• IIRC the fix already landed in the last update :thinking: It still had a limitation though: if downloading a single file takes too long (> 40 seconds), it would still result in a timeout (even though the client may still receive data) - this has been changed in the meantime, but the change isn't public yet (it will be part of the upcoming update).

However, if you still get stuck in the loading screen, do you mind sending us another report (after connecting failed)? :)

Having said that, the last update also introduced a new setting which could help in this situation: You could try to open the config.properties file in the game directory and set Game_DisableLoadingInactivity to true, then try to connect again. Do you still run into the issue then?

thanks for the reply.

I don't think it can be this 40s issue because it is consistantly 27-30s between me hitting connect and receiving the error.

I just sent in another report. hopefully you received it.

I tried to find Game_DisableLoadingInactivity in config.properties but it does not exist in my file.

edit: I was looking in the old version! I found it in the new version and changed it. I was able to log in successfully first try after that. Looks promising, I will see how that goes over the next few days. :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!