Console command to change the "surface scale" and "surface offset" ?

• Is there a console command like "/size" to change manually "surface scale" and "surface offset" to a specific value?

Surface scale and offset are the "red" parameters of a block accessible through the right "ALT" key.

I know we have a good control on "surface offset" through "/setl" command, but for "surface scale" we are stuck on the grid.

• im not sure what you mean. but...

1. the size of a terrain piece can´t be changed

2. the size of "blocks" can be changed with ctrl + arrow keys / pgup/dn

3. the grid size can be changed (when it is activated) with + and -

4. these infos are valid for the unity-version - for the java version nr. 2 is valid for planks and beams but not for blocks, which have only the standard size

• Thx Avanar for the answer, but its not that. Maybe with a screenshot it will be more clear.

With the "/size" command (in console) you have a fine control on the "size" parameter. I seach a console command who did the same for the "surface scale" and "surface offset" parameter. Actually, the only way to have some control on this two parameters is the arrows keys. It's work well on "surface offset" (if you use "/setl" command), but not on "surface scale", because this parameter is stuck on the grid when you use the arrows keys.

• There is unfortunately no command to edit the surface, but with the next update, we can add a "surfaceoffset" and "surfacescale" command to set an arbitrary value for both the surface offset & scale ;)

However, when changing the scale and offset without commands, the precision is determined by the "move precision" and "scale precision". More precisely, changing the surface offset (which is just done with the arrow keys [while surface edit mode is active ofc]) depends on the "move precision" (can be changed either in the radial menu [c], or by using the setp command). Changing the surface scale (which is done with the arrow keys + shift) depends on the "scale precision" (which is affected by the setl command).

If the grid is active, it affects the surface offset automatically though (it then depends on the currently set grid size). It has no impact on the surface scale (this one solely depends on the setl setting), it it basically overrides the setp setting (move precision). So if the grid is active and you want to edit the surface offset, you either have to set a smaller grid size (with numpad +/-), or disable the grid (and set a lower value for the "move precision" (through the radial menu or with the "setp" command) :)

But maybe we change that behaviour so the surface offset will ignore the grid anyway... IDK... it was originally added for moving the element manually (where it definitely makes sense to stick to the grid [as long as the grid is active]), but for the surface offset, it's probably debatable whether it's helpful :thinking:

• Thank a lot Red for the detailed explanation, it's very helpfull. Thank also for the command in the next update, it will be greatly appreciated :)

Last small question: How many digits after the decimal point are taken into account in the parameters? 4? I do calculations to obtain the values of some parameters, this is to determine the correct rounding.

• Last small question: How many digits after the decimal point are taken into account in the parameters? 4? I do calculations to obtain the values of some parameters, this is to determine the correct rounding.

There is no hard-coded limit, but the game works with 32 bit floating point values, so it only has roughly 6-8 significant digits. If the precision value is too small (i.e using more than 4 digits after the decimal point), it may not work properly.

So in general, I would recommend to stick to precision values with up to 4 digits after the decimal point ;) But if there are scenarios where a higher precision is required, you can still try it though (depending on the world position, element size etc, it may or may not work).

Please make the red font customizable, I can hardly read it myself. The yellow font is very nice. ;)

Yes, probably it's better to use yellow text here ^^ In the meantime, you can change that manually in the language file btw: To do that, go to the /Data/StreamingAssets/Languages folder and open the en.json with a text editor (or the de.json if you want to update the German language file). Seach for the term <color=red>Surface scale (or in the German file <color=red>Oberflächengröße) and replace color=red with color=yellow, then save the file ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!