For Red : People do not see changes to recipes while playing online

• Hi Red,

For almost a year I think, I have modded Rising World by using DB Browser for SQLite to modify the database and give Rising world a different look with more trees, etc and African wildlife in the default Rising World biome...... not the Savannah. . Was playing a new look Rising World as Single Play for some time and then hopped on to Medieval Realms last year and played on that server for a while. Then Yahwho for Medieval Realms saw one of my youtube videos and I think contacted you when he found out that my changes to my single play were being seen on his Medieval Realms server.... I think you then changed it so that the table biomes was read from the server not the local computer when accessing Medieval Realms.

2 weeks ago I set up a Ping Perfect server on the multiplayer side of Rising World with a more advanced African version of the Grasslands... what I call now the African Grasslands. Intending that everyone who went on my multiplayer server would see the new world I had created for Africa.

In SQlite I modified the table biomes and changed the data to give the default Grasslands a new look as seen here

So checking with the people using my online server, they can see this too which means they are using the tables biomes in the file Definitions.db on the server.......

Then I started getting people saying they were unable to craft things on my server such as the camp fire.

By default the camp fire needs 8 stones and 2 pieces of log and what they were seeing on their computer was the camp fire needing 8 stone and 2 pieces of logs... however despite having these they were not able to craft a campfire.

Now apparently the reason for this is that on the server in the file definitions.db in the table recipes_objects I have this in the recipes column for campfire

8x stone, 2x g(treelog), 10x grass, 1x coal

Instead of the default

8x stone, 2x g(treelog)

So this is what I see with my changes to definitions.db on the server adding grass and coal is as shown here

As you can see with my changes, to make the campfire as I see it I now need to also find 10 times grass and 1 times coal. Happy with that and it works for me on the server....note...this is the same file of definitions.db on my computer as it is on the server

The problem is with people who go on my server with the modified recipes for campfires....... they do not see the picture as I have it above...all they see on their computer is that the campfire needs 8 stone and 2 logs and despite them having those 2 things, they cannot make a campfire because the recipe in the database for campfire states they also need grass and coal but this information does not appear to them as all they see is what is shown below which does not show anything about grass or coal required.

Other players do not see the recipe showing they need grass and coal

So I know that when players using multiplayer server see the world I created they are seeing the data in the biomes table on the server.

However, when they go into the crafting to see how they make something like a campfire, they are not looking at the recipes_objects on the server which shows grass and coal in the recipe but they are looking at the recipes_objects on their pcs which does not show grass and coal in the recipe.

However to make the campfire it stops you making the campfire if you do not have grass and coal..... even though it does not show it on screen.

I also changed my server so that snakes and spiders are shy and will escape... I found out a few hours ago that my friend who has a snake phobia is chased by snakes even though when I am on the server, the snakes escape me and don't attack. This means the table npcs on the server which has behaviors and attackreaction fields has also not been read from the online file so she is seeing them attack because that is how it is on her laptop...despite what is on the server.

Is this something that can be fixed as people stopped going to my server as they couldn't do things as simple as making a campfire.

Is this a similar thing as what happened with Medieval Realms where the server was looking at parts of the SQL database from my PC to show online.

When playing online, should the players not all be looking at the whole definitions.db stored on the server and not the one stored on the local computer.

I know for multiplayer servers the biomes table is read from online but not sure why the rest of the file isn't.

Modded Rising World 2024

Now running : 100 Player Game Server With My New Modded Rising World

Edited 3 times, last by RunAndHideGamer ().

• RunAndHideGamer

Changed the title of the thread from “For Red : Some Confusion Over How To Use the Database file Definitions.db” to “For Red : People do not see changes to recipes while playing online”.
  • To test what is happening, I went on the Medieval Realms server as seen in the picture below where it shows Medieval Realms in the bottom left corner.

Despite the recipe for camp fire being a recipe for my Run And Hide Gamer Server this recipe is now also been shown for Medieval
    Realms as this is being read from the gaming PC and not from the Run and Hide Server server.

Sorry Yahwho.......was on your server for a minute to show this was happening for a change made on my server.

Modded Rising World 2024

Edited once, last by RunAndHideGamer ().

• Am already changing the data manually.... wanted to let Red know that changes made to my server is now seen also on Medieval Realms server as well which they shouldn't be.

That's because server side customization isn't implemented yet like the roadmap says so it's pulling it from your PC.

Change a recipe on your PC and you'll see it no matter if it's single player, multiplayer, your server or someone else's server. Upload the changes to your server and it'll conflict with the recipe on the player's pc which is why you're getting people on your server not able to built the campfire you change the recipe for.

The biome changes you made work different, that's why players can see that. That's just part of the world gen and the save file for the specific world on your server, it only calls the save file from the server.

• Am already changing the data manually.... wanted to let Red know that changes made to my server is now seen also on Medieval Realms server as well which they shouldn't be.

you are seeing on MR as you have changed your local database(client). it works for you as you stated above you used the same file for the server so they are the same for both YOUR client and the server.

• So this means my 100 player modified server I am paying for will only work for me and no one else until server-side customization happens? That is disappointing.

I was setting up this server for the last few weeks for my friends to play on but did not realize this was not going to work.

Modded Rising World 2024

• So this means my 100 player modified server I am paying for will only work for me and no one else until server-side customization happens? That is disappointing.

I was setting up this server for the last few weeks for my friends to play on but did not realize this was not going to work.

That's why I posted the link to the Trello Roadmap section for it, it's something Red has planned but not implemented yet.

People would have to manually download the modified files from you, make a backup of the original files, then manually replace the files with the modded ones and then manually switch them back any time they wanted to play on another server or single player, etc. without the mods on it.

I doubt people are going to go through that much hassle just for a couple of modded recipes.

• When the issue was seen on Medieval Realms where the table "biomes" was being read from the local computer, Red changed it so the table was read from the server.

Couldn't Red do the same thing with the table recipes_objects....... that table is the only thing stopping me now from carrying on with modifying Rising World.

From what I see, only 2 tables are needed to be read from the server and not from the local computer.

Modded Rising World 2024

• It's not that simple, recipes are tied into a lot of other mechanics in the game as well. The game needs to know when to pull from local and when to pull from a server, p2p connection, etc. and that's not a simple quick change.

You can't compare something like biomes to something like recipes, they work completely different.

What you want changed is for example step 28 while Red is on step 3.

• Please see my response to your other topic about this matter: RE: Players on my server are not seeing changes I made to the game

It always depends on whether something is generated serverside or clientside. The world (including biomes etc) is generated serverside, so any changes to the serverside definitions.db have a direct impact on the world generation.

Crafting also happens serverside, but the UI is shown clientside, so the client uses its local (clientside) definitions.db to show the crafting requirements on the UI. Still, clients cannot circumvent the serverside crafting requirements, because the server still performs the check (using the serverside definitions) when crafting an item. So changing the crafting recipes clientside will only cause your UI to be out of sync (you won't be able to craft any items where the client/server recipe doesn't match).

It's our intention that clients sync their definitions with the server when joining a server. But there is some work involved to implement that properly, so unfortunately we have no ETA for that yet :/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!