Endless World Questions

• I was looking in the "Features" section of the "More" part of your website and discovered that there will be endless worlds implemented into the game in the near future. Would you describe to me what this will be like? My mind immediately began to race with ideas when I read this. How will you make this possible without overtaxing the computing resources of the average player? Will players be able to designate how large they want their game to be? Of course, the idea of a virtual world that never ends sounds wonderful, so please implement this feature as soon as possible. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this concept in the Rising World environment. Thanks in advance!

• How I see it (and I look at things "different" than most people):
    * Would you describe to me what this will be like?
    I see only one point to an 'infinite' world- endless exploring. You really don't play the game, you just spend your time wandering around gawking at the scenery- that repeats the same things over and over (meaning if you've seen one mountain or ocean, you've seen them all). While an 'infinite' world gives you a mental warm and fuzzy feeling of "no restrictions", I don't see 'explorers' interested in playing the game. A 'vast' or 'huge' world is really all you really need. Would an 'infinite' world be nice? Sure... but remember virtually all players will never see 95% of it no matter how much exploring they do, so what's the point?
    * How will you make this possible without overtaxing the computing resources of the average player?
    Good question! Nobody's computer has enough memory to remember everywhere they've been. So I think they'd have to do it like MC does it- only remember where you are and forget where you been (ie, load/unload "chunks" of the world as you move around).
    Heck, for all I know it does that now.
    * Will players be able to designate how large they want their game to be?
    Don't know of course, but I doubt it. If they go to an 'infinite' world, why pick a size? You decide how big (or small) a portion of that world you want to play in.

One final thought: 'infinite' world size isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've gotten lost in them more than once and had to start another 'base' from scratch. Not fun.

• * How will you make this possible without overtaxing the computing resources of the average player?
    Good question! Nobody's computer has enough memory to remember everywhere they've been. So I think they'd have to do it like MC does it- only remember where you are and forget where you been (ie, load/unload "chunks" of the world as you move around).
    Heck, for all I know it does that now.

It does do that now.

If you set a 'mark' at your current position, then run off quite far away, then goto the mark, you may notice for a split section the area loading, a quick flash.

• Yeah probably, it's gonna be like in Minecraft. To prevent getting a boring environment, there must (and I guess will) be more possible variations like different environment settings (desert, jungle, prairie, moor), but also maybe some populated areas, maybe even with big modern cities with high skyrockers and so on.

• Endless worlds are indeed not the most important feature at the moment^^ And before implementing endless worlds, we will first add different biomes and dungeons, to have some variety.
    Currently the worldgeneration is somehow endless (the game only knows about your current location), as @Geneo and @Jackah already expected, but floating point precision errors cause the game to become more and more unplayable when walking too far away from the spawn (the playable area is big enough though).
    So we will work on this feature when the time comes ;)

• Maybe loop the world so that its like earth, it will feel endless but you will only know it isn't if you place a marker and then walk in a perfect straight line for endless days before returning to the marker but from the opposite way you walked away from.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!