Key Config help

• I been playing this game since February 2016 but have never been able to use the beam & plank system effectively or really hardly at all because I'm a lefty and every game i play i set arrow keys as my forward backward left right, most other games i can change key config and all is well but not this game because it uses the arrow keys for beam & plank, so many keys for the beam and plank system i can't effectively build anything. so everything i build is block but i see so much cool things people build with beam & planks i want to use that as well but cant do it no matter how i change key config.

Will there ever be a patch to help out left handed players?

Thanks i love the game but can't play it to it's full potential.

• i think there should be support for both left and right handed people. sometimes i have to which to switch from right hand to left hand for the keyword because my right hand is broken in multiple fingers and sometimes hurts so bad that i have to put my cast back on which forces me to use my left hand to use the mouse and the right can only hunt and pick buttons so being able to use the arrow keys would help me, lefties and anyone else with a screwed up right hand that prevents them from using the mouse but can use their keyboard.

• Ok, I had a look at the config.properties file: among many other things, it includes two groups of keys:

1) input_move_backward, _forward, _left, _right used to move the character

2) input_down, _left, _right, _up used to act on things.

I suppose that, by switching those two groups of assignments, one can switch right-, left-hand operations. Anyone, for whom this is a relevant issue, wants to try if my assumptions are correct?

• How do i switch them? i backed up my original config to a safe place but need instructions on how to switch? do i need to edit the file? what should it look like to help me.

My arrow keys are set to forward backward left right to move my character around, but if i try to use the plank system to stretch & rotate things my character moves around while doing so and therefor i cant use the system.

i uploaded my config

• Well, it is rather simple: if you look into your config.properties file, you'll see that, for instance, the KEY_UP short-cut is assigned to both input_move_forward (which moves your character forward) and input_up (which, presumably, moves the pieces around): if you press that key, how can the programme guess if you want to move yourself or a piece?

Try assigning to input_down, input_left, input_right and input_up the keys you want to use for moving the pieces around and see what happen.

• Why not change it in the settings menu directly?
    You can rebind the movement keys ("Move forward", "Move backward", "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" in the General tab) to your arrow-keys. Then go to the Placement tab and change the binding for "Forward (move)", "Backward (move)", "Left (move)" and "Right (move)" to some other keys (these keys are used to move/resize/rotate a construction element).

• Player movement is already binded to the arrow keys and that's the problem, when trying to resize & rotate a poster my player just takes off running with it in his hand.
    same thing with planks and beams.

i don't no where else to remap the keys so they are usable. i experimented with this for hours a few months back and never got any where.

any other lefty's out there that have this problem?

• i don't no where else to remap the keys so they are usable

Did you check out the images I've posted? You have to go to the Placement tab in the controls settings to change the controls for moving/resizing/rotating construction elements (please see my previous post)

• Yes i looked at the images, can anyone please upload the default key config, the in game reset keys only reset back to my previous settings not the default.
    i need to compare, i thought i was onto something but need default config.

• I deleted my config.properties and the game generated a new default upon startup, i went through all the settings remapping keys and still no luck.
    I don't have any problem mapping the walk sprint keys to the arrow keys, that's easy and has worked fine for 6 months, but when move placement keys from arrows to number pad keys it just don't work properly, when i want to make a beam taller or shorter it just starts spinning in my hand as its resizing.

• new Corsair Strafe RGB keybaord

I tried that a few months back, it worked ''but did not work out for me'' having all them placement key on that side of the board just didn't work out.
    However i just now changed my Resize "Right-Shift key" to the X key and that has stopped the beams from spinning while trying to resize them,
    It looks promising so fare. i will reply in a day or two with an update on how that config works out.

• Sorry, it was perhaps unclear: by type of keyboard, I meant which layout (US, GB, French, German, Spanish, ...), not which brand.

Also, which OS?

Key positions on the keyboard vary across different keyboard layouts and different OS interact differently with these positions; detecting which key is pressed (and sometime that a key is pressed at all) is not always reliable for all keys across all keyboard layouts and across all OS.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!