Have a standard survival mode without many options

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)
  • Rising World needs a standard game mode without the ability to change gamma (Can't make caves brighter so you can see farther), turn on and off monsters, etc. Here's why.
    I've played Minecraft for 5 years now, and I have plenty of experience in the game, community, and YouTube. If you asked the Minecraft community, most would agree that the reason Minecraft became popular was because it became popular by YouTube let's players. And the reason let's players started making videos was because the first night in Minecraft was hard for newcomers, and they needed help. It was dark, there were tons of monsters, crafting recipes were unknown, etc. There's no way to turn off specific mobs in Minecraft because it would be too confusing if one person only wanted these monsters, and other people only wanted these other monsters. Many people also believe Minecraft became a lot easier when the Brightness meter was added. When this was added, night wasn't as dark and caves could be explored easily. You didn't have to fear the darkness and mystery anymore.

This needs to be remembered when adding monsters to Rising World. When some people are allowed to disable a hard enemy, they aren't going to be looking up help on YouTube. It doesn't sound like much, but every person that searches for tutorials, etc. are helping make Rising World more popular on YouTube.

• Hey JJ,

Rising World is not Minecraft. Nor is RW comparable in any meaningful way with MC IMO. Yes they both have crafting and some survival aspects etc. but those are broad functions that don't necessarily bind them together. There are however many aspects that make them completely different.

There have been a vast array of successful games that do not have any monsters nor a particularly difficult start. I have no doubt there will continue to be many more such success stories in the future. I do recognise you and others hold a personal preference for that but I fail to see any reason why RW must have either monsters or hard starting in order to succeed. Similarly there are games that do well without becoming YouTube LP hits as MC has been.

I have no doubt you have discussed the genesis of MC's extraordinary success in some community, however there is no way to determine if that contention is actually true. Of the 24.3 million people who own MC you have perhaps sampled the opinion of maybe some hundreds who are active in the same place(s) you are. That does not comprise a robust sample of opinion. Further, how do we demonstrate whether any community opinion is at all valid in determining success mechanisms?

JJ I do not say you are wrong - but I am not at all convinced your contentions are correct.

BTW I suspect that the pertinent factors leading to MC's massive success will be complex and may be only known to Mojang who have access to more relevant data than anyone. Or it might just be a mystery to them too.

Incurably addicted to Rising World

• Not comparable to Minecraft? Rising World is based off of Minecraft, and has the same open, randomly-generated world comprised of many biomes and mobs. It has tools used to mine blocks and incorporates crafting in a medieval style to make things like torches. And Red himself stated he is adding monsters to the game. It's exactly Minecraft.

• It's comparable, just not exactly like Minecraft. It has Minecraft elements, yet it isn't Minecraft. Rising World, when fully matured, shall surpass that of Minecraft (maybe even modded) that it shall be interesting to see what it'll have in the future that I'm most likely posting in an obnoxious manner curious about the future. I'm patiently waiting for when people shall eat their ignorant words of how Rising World looks like crap now that they'll have no choice but to take Rising World at face value by saying "I'm sorry, Rising World is genuinely awesome. I was an idiot for shitting on Rising World in its youthful stage" when we get to the point where Rising World is 'completed' with everything it was promised. :)

If you wanted to compare, I guess Minecraft + Feed The Beast (Technology Modpack of any sort) + Skyrim + Skyrim's Frostfall mod + 7 Days to Die = Rising World. Every element from each would equal Rising World.

I guess what people see in Rising World is what 7 Days to Die is, but without zombies. Or even Stranded Deep as a whole. What I see is all this, + the first 7 days of '7 Days to Die' which could have this game being awesome. There's ways to have everything coexist with one another with how unlimited the world shall be.

-----

But yeah,....As for the main post itself...........

The whole survival bit is what made Minecraft awesome, and why I'm poking around with Feed The Beast Inventions modpack right now. The first few nights are awesome because you're struggling, learning, yet it gradually dips away once you get things rolling. Struggling to gain shelter, struggling to gain your mass-producing furnaces going run on lava + hoppers, getting your farm going to over-produce food, fishing, and etc. The pain and struggle needs to keep up with you. That nitty-gritty attrition need to follow you, yet it also needs to allow you ways to stock up. 7 Days to Die has it, yet it ends up being added in modded versions of Minecraft. Rising World, 7 Days to Die, and Stranded Deep are all ripe for the rough nitty-gritty survival.

The thing is, this game is a game for both kids & adults (game for all ages) that it needs to be loose, as Rising World is being (and planned to be) that it gives full customization to players in all forms of features to enjoy. It's the same as Minecraft when you want to give people settings to tick through to customize things, yet that's where the comparisons would end when compared to Minecraft where Rising World would end up being its own different beast of a game. The whole brightness thing is fine. I needed to turn that brightness up because I couldn't see otherwise because of how I sit in my chair. Same with my friend who has a cheap monitor who would see a blank screen otherwise. You still do need torches though because you still see tiny specs. You don't see the colour of the ore, just the outlines of the walls. Monsters still jump you, and etc.

There's survival & creative (self explanatory), as well as Adventure (story), and even Stranded (island survival). There's something for everybody, as well as filters for people who tantrum over monsters and such. That, and people need to keep their fear of monsters & hostiles in check because it's way out of control. I understand people seek realism, and that's what they're getting 100%, yet they're bringing in their paranoia & a bit of 'laziness' which would harm other players. I'd rather see Red51 going all out instead of sheltering & censoring everything because of people's fears. TV media is censored enough with how soccermoms censor nudity on TV that it's just "why?! Why are you so mentally retarded & hypersensitive?!", type thing. I'd rather see Rising World be what it wants to be without seeing its wings clipped to stay grounded, possibly similar to Red51's line of thinking.

I guess Red51 shall have to make a sub-mode to an already existing mode (presets of difficulty) to please various peoples. Sliders so people could scale lighting, hostile monsters, environment, and such, something he's more or less doing right now.

As for searching things up on youtube is what Red51 is trying to gradually mend via the journal. I'm hoping he'll add every important bit into it as he originally planned so a wiki would be rarely needed. Everything would be in the book, such as vehicles how to craft, and etc. The furnace was the recent addition to that journal that I hope books are given more importance in learning & tutorials, as well as picture books on player side, and etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!