Another good idea came up on the Steam forums to add a rock crusher to make various gravel varieties. I'm adding on this a little:
- Gravel should be more common and there should be more gravel varieties, one or two in each biome depending on the surrounding materials. There should be more stone types such a limestone and if we ever get a mesa biome then lots of colorful stone and clay.
- more gravel types would make nice roads and you can actually place gravel and dirt to paint the terrain by pressing PageDown to make the placement tool flush with the ground and simply change the texture instead of modifying the terrain (Radioman03 showed this in action in the beginning of this video )
- Gravel should auto generate like in above video. Seeing naturally occuring patches of dirt, stone, and gravel would make the world look more natural
- Add limestone!
- The rockcrusher will convert any stone into gravel and also any gravel into stone powder
- Add a brick oven which can be used to smelt stone powder into a variety of brick depending on what powder was used.
- On the blockbench, the stone powders can be combined with water to make pastel blocks. The gravel could be used to make various types of cobblestone. The bricks from the brick oven can make any of the brick patterns.
- I'd like to see some hellstone be used as a crafting ingredient for making some unique block types using the same process as above of crushing it into gravel and powder.
I'm sure something similar to all of this is already planned by Red51 but we haven't heard of it yet but I'm posting this here to start a discussion and see if we can improve on it. Maybe Red51 will respond with some of his own ideas