A New In-Game All-In-One Device Idea

• Just off a recent forum discussion on the compass and how it could be bettered, I started pondering a new idea that I personally think would be a nice add-on for the game.

This idea is an all-in-one device that could act like our smartphones do nowadays:

• Multi-coordinate programmable navigation system via GPS;
    • In-game "texting" between active players;
    • The ability to place "phone calls" to other active players;
    • Note-taking and journal-writing capabilities (possibly replacing the in-game Journal);
    • Flashlight option;
    • Time and timers;
    • Basic construction tools like levels and measures;
    • Camera that takes HUD-free photos (and maybe even include flash, video, and blueprints);
    • Photo application to store the camera's photos, videos, and blueprints;
    • In-game sound and music controls that could access your own music;
    • A chime and vibrate (in-game low hum) for notifications;
    • A calendar feature that could work with the note-taking capabilities and the camera's photos;
    • A world map that could include where GPS coordinates, photos, videos, and notes were taken;
    • Active temperature where you're standing, be it above- or underground;
    • Later, it could also include weather forecasts, hints and tips for gameplay, IoT automation, and more.

I could see such a device needing to be constructed with ore just like the ore detector. Maybe silicon could be brought into the game by then. This device would also have a backlit display so we could see the screen even in the darkest corners of the Rising World.

I know that some of these features are accessible via the F3 key, but it would be nice if we had to rely less on that key, and more on the ingenuity of the game and plugins developers.

Whether done as a plugin or as a direct part of the game, I can see this as being a massive project, and I can see it being introduced in stages. Maybe as a "plugin to control all plugins."

• I absolutely love this item and idea. it would be a nice 'late game' type item, yet if one finds it from a merchant it would shift the balance of the game in an 'interesting' manner. Imagine finding this in a dungeon from a poor soul, or something along those lines. An NPC from a more advanced society gifts it to you, or something. So many routes of obtaining it, using it, that it be neat. Once we gain endless world Rising World the uses shall be even more endless.

Multi-purpose smartphone device that would keep track of anything. I love it! Imagine getting updates on when transportation would arrive at stations and etc. With just one device one could be well informed with the developed world that we created, and if trains, buses, and etc would keep chunks loaded in that spread out manner.

Oh, the possibilities. 8o

• Whether done as a plugin or as a direct part of the game, I can see this as being a massive project, and I can see it being introduced in stages. Maybe as a "plugin to control all plugins."

This would be waaaaaay beyond the possibilities of the current plug-in API and of any foreseeable extension of it in the short-to-medium term. I assume it has to be an built-n development.

About a "plug-in to control all plug-ins", I have released and made available (in some case with the sources) several projects to promote the interaction between plug-ins and so far they attracted very little attention. It seems this is not the way the community looks at plug-ins...

• Think it's a great Idea!!
    I was playing the other day and was thinking it would be great to have a surveying/guide tool. I was thinking how great it would be to build a tunnel or such between two x,y,z points.
    For example point A in a castle dungeon, with an exit in a cave some distance away at point B.

• Once there's electricity in the game i'd love to make add-on gadgets for such a device.

Imagine if that device was included in the API documentation how to get stuff on the screen and access the controls, we'd have a blast extending its abilities but gotta have electricity included into the mix just to add more depth of realism. :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!