Create world maps from topographical

• I would adore the ability to use Rising World to recreate a landscape that exists IRL. I don't know how it could possibly done, but to upload a topographical map of, say Yosemite Valley? or Uluru? or the Grand Canyon . . . . I know. Dream big, right?

(But then, I was around when they were still saying, "I don't know how it could possibly be done, but wouldn't it be cool if we could put a man on the moon?")

Dream big.

~Kesselia

"The most beautiful stories always start with wreckage." ~Jack London

• A lot can be done through the creative tools in-game. It wouldn't be too hard to re-create the terrain and textures if you had a good source of the irl area, and a way of measuring it. I have thought of doing a build of, say, Africa! Building the landform, and then creating the landmarks ( pyramids, Nile, Sahara, Congo ) On a obviously blown-up scale. (in comparison with the size of the land ofc)

"If all the world was apple pie, And all the sea were ink. And all the trees were bread and cheese, What would we have to drink?" ?(

• I agree it can be done in creative mode (or even not) but I've tried it in Minecraft and it's a ton of work just to get to the bare bones of what I'm trying to accomplish. My kids introduced me to Minecraft when it first came out, and I immediately saw it as a tool. I'm a novelist and have used Minecraft for years to sketch settings for my books. Not being an architect, or an sketch artist, it's easier to imagine and describe a small town or special building--especially for action scenes--if I can visually 'walk' through the set.

But now I need to design a fictional city and country based on a real life location, including an entire battle. But it's sci fi, so all the details have to be accurate for the audience. It would be so much faster if I could just upload what already exists from topo maps.

If Rising World figured out how to pull this off, it's no longer a game to me. It's an essential writing tool. And I'll bet the sci fi and fantasy creators will come running. (If they're not here already.) :D

~Kesselia

"The most beautiful stories always start with wreckage." ~Jack London

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!