A bit of a problem

• I have recently developed a problem with Rising World shutting off my laptop. Yes, seriously. It started yesterday. I started to play and a few minutes in my laptop just went black, shut down completely. Okay, little freaked out, checked battery, plug, etc., and turned computer back on. Went through all of the start up stuff, did a quick scan that came up okay and then started to play again, same server. A few minutes in (more than 3, less than 10), same thing happened again. Okay, a lot freaked out. Restarted computer, picked the go through computer with a fine toothed comb scan (took almost an hour) and still got an everything is fine message. So, I thought I would see what would happen as I played other games, went on FB and surfed the web. Went back to Rising World, different server, and started playing. Lasted maybe 10 minutes before wham, abrupt shutdown again. Freaked and irked now, restarted computer and shortly after a friend came online so I started to talk to her via Discord (really, it was whining more than talking). She went online to the first server I was playing on and then I went ahead and tried again. And this time it was all good. No shut downs (whining works!). I played for awhile before calling it a night. I had no problems today, at first. I played for a while on 2 servers, everything going fine when boom, abrupt shutdown again. Once I restarted I decided to play another Steam game and see if it was a steam problem. I played that game for a while with no problems. SO I thought I would come to the forums and see if anyone else had ever experienced a problem like this. I'm just not sure why it is only happening during Rising World game play. ?(

• I would think that is a laptop hardware problem rather than a RW problem. I would suggest you check your GPU card for burnt out parts as well as your motherboard. That is if you can safely unscrew and open up your laptop. If not then there are some free tools online that can do some basic tests on GPU and CPU cards but I have never used one to give you specific names etc.

• This sounds like dry joint on your laptops motherboard

A dry solder joint is where the solder connecting the component pin or leg to the copper track on the circuit boards becomes damaged
    this results in an unstable connection

if that connection is something that the cpu or video card needs then you can get shutting right before it fails

temperature is then main cause of when the dry joint will cause it to fail, this is why it does not happen all the time and then it happens
    also dry joints can sort of heal them self for a time giving you a false sense that the problem has gone

To fix the problem you need to solder the area, but only someone that know how to can do it oO most people wont bother and tell you that you need a new motherboard

You may know of the xbox and the red ring of death ? well that had the same problem

Here is a video on youtube with a guy having a go at fixing dry joints on a laptop motherboard

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png

Edited once, last by yahgiggle ().

• @Minotorious and @yahgiggle,

Thanks, I have a friend who might be able to suggest some online tools for testing the GPU/CPU cards. If not, I guess I will be taking it into the shop, sigh. I still don't know why it only happens during RW. I do play it for hours but I also play other games for hours at a time w/o issue.

sigh

• It might be that RisingWorld makes your GPU hotter than the other games or it cause's a driffent area of your gpu to get hotter. i would use gpu stress test software to realy get that sucker hot oO

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • I had my PC doing exactly what yours is doing, except the screen would flicker and jitter before crashing. So I took the GPU out and baked it @380 for 7 minutes... it lasted another 2 months before dying completely.

"If all the world was apple pie, And all the sea were ink. And all the trees were bread and cheese, What would we have to drink?" ?(

• Rising World is a pretty graphic-intensive game. You might want to check your CPU's temperature. You can try a program called Core Temp. Run that, run RW, and keep checking the temperature before the computer shuts down. It could be overheating.

If it is, a cooling mat and some maintenance on the cooling system should help.

If I respond in German, sorry for bad grammar. I don't speak German, but I do speak Google Translate. The community seems too nice to stay away!

----

Wenn ich auf Deutsch antworte, entschuldige ich für jede schlechte Grammatik. Ich spreche kein Deutsch, aber ich spreche Google Translate. Die Gemeinde scheint zu schön, nicht zu bleiben!

• Okay, I have taken my laptop and it is not a hard drive problem, it is a bad cable connected to the hard drive. But the gentleman at the repair shop suggested to me that I reinstall Rising World because he found it strange that that was the only game that took out my computer. I, however, am worried about losing my blueprints.

Will un-installing and reinstalling RW cause me to lose my blueprints?

• Okay, I have taken my laptop and it is not a hard drive problem, it is a bad cable connected to the hard drive. But the gentleman at the repair shop suggested to me that I reinstall Rising World because he found it strange that that was the only game that took out my computer. I, however, am worried about losing my blueprints.

Will un-installing and reinstalling RW cause me to lose my blueprints?

you can copy your blueprint folder to a usb stick then after the reinstall re copy the files back over

BTW they often say a cable and it turns out not to be, but lets hope that this time it is im crossing my fingers for you

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • ;)
    • :(
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • :verysad:
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • :crazy:
    • :lol:
    • :dizzy:
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :thinking:
    • :wacko:
    • :/
    • 8)
    • :wat:
    • :huh:
    • :silenced:
    • :wow:
    • 8|
    • :angry:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :hushed:
    • :nerd:
    • :saint:
    • :drooling:
    • :love:
    • :monocle:
    • :poo:
    • :party:
    • :drunk:
    • <3
    • :!:
    • :?:
    The maximum number of attachments: 10
    Maximum File Size: 1 MB
    Allowed extensions: 7z, avi, bmp, dds, gif, jpeg, jpg, json, log, lua, mp3, mp4, ogg, pdf, permissions, png, properties, rar, txt, xml, zip

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!