Dungeons and temples from ancient civilizations providing lore and more content!

• This is for the main survival mode which has monsters, and whatever other mode it fits with. I will be working this out as I go.

So to give Rising World a history (the world, not the player). I suggest the temples, ruins, dungeons and other structures (surface or underground) are from ancient civilizations. Maybe NPC villages can be the descendants of these civilizations. 5 types of NPC villages for 5 types of ancient civilization which can be found (maybe 3 types of underground structures and 2 above ground? Whatever works...)? Just an example..

Each type of village could have an elder which tells of legends passed down through the ages about what the old civilization was like, type of structure they built and where it might be found (surface or underground, not specific information since the world is randomly generated), and maybe what kind of technology they used?

Yes, technology. As some of the best treasure to be found in dungeons and temples etc.., I suggest there is technology which the player can only get by finding these structures and surviving the monsters which inhabit them now. Each ancient civilization could have multiple technologies the player can use. But not all structures should have technology to be found.

Maybe you don't find the technology itself, but you find the blueprint (recipe). But I would prefer to find the actual technology and have to figure out how to recreate it. So reverse engineering.

Nothing crazy like uber computers or an android. Just simple, useful and unique tech. And you can't just know the crafting recipe for it and make it any time you want (no looking up the recipe online and within an hour of playing you've got ancient tech).

Maybe there is no way to craft these ancient technologies. You find the item, figure out how to use it and what it's for, and from there can only fix it by replacing parts. This way this tech would be pretty rare and it would continue to be valuable. You would have to explore and risk your life to get this stuff.. no getting your buddy to make several for you an hour after buying the game...

To give more for the players to craft. Finding these ancient structures could unlock new crafting recipes for other stuff. Simple things like chairs, new building materials like new window frames or doors, new lamps. Maybe even new things to grow in your farm by finding a seed packet. Find a sandstone temple and now can collect and build with sandstone. Also books and scrolls which could have stories of events, new food recipes etc.. All fitting with the lore of the civilization.

Lots of new content can be added through these structures, and with a bit of lore it will have some meaning in the world, it will be part of the world.. the world will be more then just the place that we mine, build and survive.

This can all be done at world generation. :thumbsup:

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• I like the sound of something like that. I think a world back story would help with immersion and as you have suggested it could open up options for interesting places to find/explore and interesting things to learn to craft.
    A problem I thought for the multiplayer worlds is that since the whole world is fully destructive some dingbat could opt to destroy the ancient town/temple ruins but I'm sure there would be ways around this.

• Maybe a server setting that makes those structures protected. Since this is being done for player builds, it shouldn't be too difficult to apply it to generated buildings. But maybe I'm wrong in assuming that...

Regardless, I wouldn't say keep this feature out because some people want to grief.

• I love this Idea :thumbsup:

Each type of village could have an elder which tells of legends passed down through the ages about what the old civilization was like, type of structure they built and where it might be found (surface or underground, not specific information since the world is randomly generated), and maybe what kind of technology they used?

What about instead of an elder you find hints of it in the village like the art, building building techniques
    and artifacts from temples and stuff. So in the end no one tells you the history of the world but you could see it. Making you come up with your own story in your head on how the civilization went from where it is to where was.

Yes, technology. As some of the best treasure to be found in dungeons and temples etc.., I suggest there is technology which the player can only get by finding these structures and surviving the monsters which inhabit them now. Each ancient civilization could have multiple technologies the player can use. But not all structures should have technology to be found.

I also agree with this I don't think you should be able to craft these Items making them rare and unique.
    I was thing more then just tech though maybe armor tools and other gear as well.

• What about instead of an elder you find hints of it in the village like the art, building building techniques

That would be interesting for sure! I just thought it would be interesting to have stories told of old civilizations which are gone, but there are legends which say where they lived might be found still.

I was thing more then just tech though maybe armor tools and other gear as well.

Yeah when I said technology, I mean all kinds of stuff other than things like ore or materials. I meant all kinds of things which are a finished product, "man" made. Tools, weapons, armor etc etc

I know it's a lot of writing but in the end it is a fairly simple idea. I just like to flesh it all out instead of just writing a couple sentences and people end up not knowing really what I meant.

From what I can tell, the devs may be interested in some kind of lore for adventure mode. Not for normal survival mode.

• Yeah I think it's a great way to add more content, new architecture, building materials, crafting materials, unique items etc..

The concern I have seen is people don't want lore or story to restrict the player in some way. But I don't see how this would. And it fits with the generated worlds. Things don't have to be in a certain location. If there are elders which speak of it, then they can just describe how it looks. Or their village is evidence of new architecture like you said. It could be done several ways.

Hopefully it will be used for adventure mode (which from my understanding may have quests or at least goals etc..).

Edited once, last by ZaCormyr ().

• All sounds awesome, especially with how you protect the dungeons and such from being vandalized or being used to "cheat" your way into high-tech manner. Terraria did something on that level that you had to beat the boss to even obtain anything worthwhile. Starbound's way of story was neat, just a bit "in your face" that it bothered me. Once you got past the tutorial stuff (up th the UFO bit) you were in the clear to do what you wanted. I have to both blame and praise GTA 3 for nudging me into something where I can freely fly around the map without being forced how and what to do. Being able to find and discover these ancient ruins would be a good way to learn it, even in a freedom Skyrim allowed you to have. You could choose where to go, what to do, what to read when, and etc.

Adding lore into this game could simply be done by adding in scrolls, books, and the things like that so you could learn more of the world you're on. Something random...Mount & Blade style random with how your character was introduced, but with books about why the dungeon ended up the way it did by having the book and the dungeons match each other through conditions.

I'll happily explore these places Indiana Jones style, I don't mind. Keeping it rare, even in an FTB mod-pack style (Thaumcraft, I believe it was. One with wisps and magical research) with me expecting something more dangerous and complex thanks to the wording on the feature page & by Red.

(I'm now wondering if I missed the point or luckily kept to it.)

• Adding lore into this game could simply be done by adding in scrolls, books, and the things like that so you could learn more of the world you're on. Something random...Mount & Blade style random with how your character was introduced, but with books about why the dungeon ended up the way it did by having the book and the dungeons match each other through conditions.

I think you hit the nail on the head on this actually I think figuring out your worlds history should be some sort of unofficial quest where its up to you to find out what happen and its not pushed in your face

• That is if it was in normal survival mode. Which I doubt it would be. So in adventure mode this would be part of the point maybe. Piece together the lore and history of the world. Along with questing for locals you come across etc..

• That is if it was in normal survival mode. Which I doubt it would be. So in adventure mode this would be part of the point maybe. Piece together the lore and history of the world. Along with questing for locals you come across etc..

I think adventure mode will be more engaging, kinda like an random generated RPG. So I see your Idea fitting in perfect there.

• Yes it would work nicely given that it can be randomized with no negative results. My original post about this included things mentioned like books etc..

Although I just thought of one issue. Duplicate items. Who knows how spaced out the dungeons and temples will be in the world, so who knows how often you might come across one. But if the lore content in the dungeons are randomized on world generation, you might eventually come across duplicates of books, armor, weapons etc... I suppose this won't be so much of an issue. They should be spaced out enough and difficult enough that you can't finish one every 10 minutes. Maybe one an hour. Actually, having a duplicate might create more trade with other players. Hmm..

After a bit of thought, and more coffee, it should be fine to have duplicate items. Some should be more rare then others etc... This will create trade and bring players together in central towns possibly. I assume player trade will only occur when players are together, no mail system.

I want to play this now! grr

• Ya, your coffee self is right. You don't have to worry about duplicated Items because dungeons are going to be rare as it is I think. On top of this unless random Items responded in the dungeon (witch I don't support on single player) there wont be much high power loot in worlds. In the loot you do get you can have different types of loot (Common, uncommon, rare and super rare). I don't think that there will be many duplicated items especially in single player.

• Good proposition. Generated ruins of ancient temples, dungeons and castle ruins would be very good.

I propose to add treasures there, not only technological artifacts.

There can be unique resource -- gold coins, that can't be crafted, but can only be found among dungeons treasures. Or can be received from NPC for finishing quests and looted from hostile NPCs. With these coins players can buy blueprints and uncraftable weapons from NPC merchants.

These coins can be also used for trade between players.

• Devs already plan to have loot in dungeons which gets better based on the dungeon difficulty. So yeah, lots of stuff to be had as loot.

Player trade I hope is just barter system. Gold I hope is used for crafting. Coins, well maybe for NPCs.

• Devs already plan to have loot in dungeons which gets better based on the dungeon difficulty. So yeah, lots of stuff to be had as loot.

Player trade I hope is just barter system. Gold I hope is used for crafting. Coins, well maybe for NPCs.

I hope you can craft coins too. It always bothered me when in games like Teraria would have gold coins and gold but you where unable to craft the coins.

I propose the crafting works both ways gold coins to gold bar and gold bar to gold coins

• It's very easy to screw up the economy so I'll settle with the bartering between players and NPCs. Trading one item for another, similar to how you could pick and choose what items, research, or conditions to set in the Civilization games. That's been proven most effective over trying to get a bubble-bursting economy going. Tried to get it going in Minecraft with it failing.

I wouldn't mind holding onto gold coins as a way to display wealth, if I can hang them up and such.

• Like I said in a previous post, If there was to be an economy I think there should be two separate separate ones. using different economy's

The first economy would be the player economy witch would probably be done in trade most commonly being Items of higher value as a form of currency.

The second one would be the npc economy witch would be done using one item as a currency. Where as the prices would change to supply and demand. We could use an imaginary trade root. so if you buy a lot of one item in a short period of time the price would go up. If the player dost buy a certain Item the price would slowly drop to the minimum price range.

• We're going off topic here.

But what if NPCs wanted food items. From uncooked rare meats to finished dishes. Since NPCs are stationary, they can't get certain food items. It could promote crafting and exploration.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!