Posts by supershanks

Quote from Kilem

Sure miss my rake, shovel, & pickaxes
    like we have here tho & surely hope they give them to us

Yes me too. The Voxel Hand tools are good but seem a little clumsy compared to the tools we're used to,

$19.99 which comes to £13.55 in proper money :).
    That's probably marginally cheaper than the £14.95 steam are probably going to be charging.
    Have been reading on the Keen forums they did the same with Space engineers, it effectively gives them a week of intense testing by the dudes who take up the 24hr sale. They've done 2 patches already today. I was just lucky I guess, I just happened to go to their website last night before I went to bed.

Have just had my 1st collapsed building which was spectacular. Rising world is streets ahead in environment though. Building is a bit clunky too, though an element of that is probably me getting used to controls.

I've had two games today. The 1st ended when I was having trouble fitting a spiral stair section into a round tower. Got fed up after about three times of placing the stair segment. There's a delete object key sequence. I tried this as every time I'd gone to remove the stairs the outer tower wall was taken out so had to replace both. So I tried the delete object thinking it would apply to the last thing placed, namely the stair segment. It took the whole castle :)
    As with windows there is a paste command, however I couldn't paste it back to it's original position, ended up with a half buried castle.
    The second game is saved but the edifice is literally crumbling as I load it through too much unsupported weight, due to some poor engineering by me.

Looks promising as we expected, but a long way to go and many features to get working.

A nice unexpected touch is there are a number of scenarios/worlds to load with ready built buildings including the castle from the demo video. So you can test your skill catapult building and have ready made targets.

Just got Medieval Engineers :) It's on 24hr early release here Buy, a week earlier than Steam launch on the 19th.

Sorry looks to have just finished, got it last night in the wee hours b4 bed, should have posted link then. :cursing:
    Edit 2: not sure if it's on different timezones, updated link just now via steam and it was available again.

Really enjoying this great game.
    One thing that seems to have untapped potential is the Plaster textures for blocks,
    Why not make them available for use with boards, where they would give a great deal more freedom to give different ways to design building interiors. The thinner walls would go a great contribution towards reducing the need for a reduced block size.
    It would also give the opportunity to have different textures on each side of a wall if you use two board thickness.

Hi,
    Rams 8Gb. Have attached top of errorlog giving graphics details. I think the memory outage is caused by me, I remember after reading your comment on settings above, I'd played around with the view and detail distances and not put them back. What is the optimum do you reckon ?

File size is still in Kb but early game was 33kb now is 158kb, not a massive size and no big deal but was surprised to see a sudden increase in size
    I'm mainly building and getting timber and stone. I've been exiting and backing up save files periodically.
    Records for this world are:-
    Size is in KBs. for Main world file in the parent directory.
    11/1/2015 33
    22/1 54
    24/1 57
    7/2 58
    7/2 77
    9/2 158

In the second backup on the 7/2 I had been exploring the world a bit more.
    9/2 is the current save. which is quite a jump from the previous sizes.
    As I say it's not an issue just a point of interest.
    22/1/15 54

Just got my 1st Out of Memory error. Gameplay was slightly different to normal. Have by and large been ordering logs and stone via console while heavily into building. This time went out to manually get material, went on an extended wander, ok I got lost :). Have done this previously and noticed a big increase in the size of db saved file (in parent directory.), I assume this is normal as a larger portion of the world is exposed, but not had the out of memory error.

A good few of us have experienced this bug. it can be a nuisance but these things happen in alpha mode. I've found on occasion it can also help to quit and reload, and or try striking the unwanted item from different angles and sides. If the item is hard to reach try using [F2] Flying mode.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Same error this AM.

Forget the issue about accessing benches, I guess it was around flying mode being engaged when the error occurred first time. My feet were obviously on the ground this time and so could access benches.
    Apologies for previous for blind panic :rolleyes:

supershanks had some great lan games of empire earth! sins of a solar empire also. I think i have one crusader kings.. gotta check the box of old games lol

I looked at Sins late last year was after a 4x space game, got Endless Space instead as it was on offer at the time. Will have to dig out Empire Earth again sometime, when I'm not building :). Yes I've got a box of old games like that, a lot of fond memories in that box. :thumbup:

According to wiktionary 'strafe' originated in WWI "to attack (ground troops, for example) with a machine gun or cannon from a low-flying aircraft." As a noun, it means, "an attack of machine-gun or cannon fire from a low-flying aircraft."
    It originated from the german word for punishment.
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Talk:strafe

That's interesting As I said in my first post I checked out the German translation, but hadn't looked on strafing as punishment to the receiving folk on the ground.

I think a lot of people were expecting Beyond Earth to be Alpha Centauri 2 (Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri is my personal favourite strategy game ever) which was a factor in some of the less than favourable opinions when it finally came out. It is OK, but really not much more than another expansion for civ 5.

Yes Alpha was a brilliant game, pretty certain it's in that box I just mentioned, I think your right about that comparison though.
    Myself I wasn't looking to compare Beyond Earth with Alpha was just genuinely disappointed that there is at the moment.
    I hope that any expansion pack will improve the game, but will certainly won't be buying it until I've seen a good few reviews first.

I tried Anno a bit and meant to get back into at some point. No Empire Earth or Medieval Total War? Command and Conquer? I haven't planned SimCity in a LONG time haha. Love the old Age of Empires too. ahh.. gaming memories lol Might want to check out Company of Heroes. It's a good strategy game. Multiplayer can get a little crazy.. I still with singleplayer.

And yeah of course there is Civ. What's wrong with Beyond Earth? I haven't gotten any of the newer ones. Just don't have time in recent years for all these games... even in one genre!

I*'ve got Empire Earth, but not really got into it likewise Medieval total war though I play that a bit more than EE, I prefer, Crusader Kings II which is my favourite Medieval game atm, though like most I think, I struggle to win. I saw the thread about medieval engineers and am certainly up for that.
    If I'm in warmonger mode I like Panzer Corps and the Unity of Command series, the latter is about the best unit icon/map war games I've ever played. Haven't played C&C for years, but have very many fond memories of it :)

Beyond Earth should be renamed What on Earth. Civ's developers have developed a habit of releasing their games with poor AI and gameplay, then redeeming their reputations with patches and updates. They have a mountain to climb on this one.
    I was initially taken with the game, graphics are great, music atmospheric was really hooked. Until I got into it. The AI is virtually non existent, trading admin is clumsy. Seems I'm not the only one, Steam diplomatically give it "mixed" review, but if you scroll down to the detail [url="http://store.steampowered.com/app/65980/#app_reviews_hash"][Steam Beyond Earth] mixed looks pretty optimistic.

Hi,
    Football manager probably most, have the run 2012 to 2015. Enjoy trading games and city building, always get suckered in to the latest SimCity. I like the Anno series, The Kalypso Patrician and Rise of Venice are ok.
    Have just found the Endless titles Space and Legends, was getting into them until I got into these sandbox games just after Xmas. Of course there's Civ though I'm still steaming about Beyond Earth.

Quote from Red51

Most games use the term "strafe", it has nothing to do with voxel games It's a specific term in gaming:

Aye well they've passed me by, voxel gaming is as close as I've been to action games, probably since Elite (the original :)) , I've been a long time strategy gamer. It's the building and crafting side that's the main pull to me.

Quote from Meltron

As far as I understand, strafe can also mean to shoot at someone. Maybe it is because you can still shoot in most source games and in quake when you are in air and strafe

Yes that crossed my mind too.

Cheers guys.

I've noticed on all the voxel games I've seen that move right or left is shown as strafe left or right. It's no big deal but where does strafe come from. I always understood strafe as something aircraft do , attacking a ground target. I wondered if it was German for move but it means punishment. As I say it's no big deal but I'm curious on it's origin.

Started a new world this AM

This crash occurred when selecting blocks in block maker menu. Just selected a variant when it happened.

When loading the game after this error I can't access the benches, the selection icon comes up but pressing the f key does nothing. I deleted the workbench and built another, but I couldn't enter crafting on the newly placed object either.

Ah yes, thinking about it as you describe I believe your right. Seem to remember just being about to press the right mouse button and bang.
    Yes I have a routine now with these stuck items. As you say different angles sometimes works, I've also fund quit and reload have worked. If all else fails regular backups and restore.

Yes the hit detection seems a little quirky at times. One of the funniest things occurred yesterday. I was building a wooden floor on the 1st floor of a new building. Some of the floor planks were uneven so I got the old pick out to remove them, good news floor planks removed, bad news also removed a chest, sawmill and furnace, which were zapped in the workshop below. :) Can understand the furnace as the top is only just under the 1st floor, but the pick axe swing from the floor above to the other two items seems a little long.

I've noticed sometimes when switching from flying mode to ground movement mode, the perspective seems off occasionally, it's as if my character is taller than normal. I wonder if there's something in this that causes longer reach and maybe the unexpected results to items as above.

This shows the saw bench and chest restored after the plank removal, from the floor above, originally these items were slightly closer to the window at the rear but of course the respective heights, distance from the pick axe head on the floor above was the same.

That'll be good.

It seems to happen when having a block equipped and aiming at a very specific spot of your house

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by a block equipped.

I've continued to play the same world, building mainly with planks and beams. I've continued as previously quitting and backing up saved file. Good news is no further crashes. I have however had an increased amount of stickies, that is components planks or beams that can't be removed, causing me to revert to previous backup.

Sorry lead you astray slightly. There are two error classes. The 1st 8 occurring on the 10th Jan relate to an array out of bounds error as shown below. The second group for the 12th onward are the

.ConcurrentModificationException

originally posted. will happily forward you them if needed, just advise me of an address.